Tank for Trevor?

rf54

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If your sitting #3 and there is a QBOTF sitting there, but you want at ~#7, you take him at #3.

IMO if you're picking top-10, you shouldn't ever move back unless it's an insane offer or there's just not anyone you need there .

If the #2 OT is there at 6 but you know you can get the #4 OT 5 picks later at 11, you do NOT trade back. 

Obviously anyone can bust at any draft position but you don't pass up a day 1 starter to get cute and pick up more darts for the later rounds.

If you're picking 6th and Miami is picking 10th with their pick from Houston and they offer 10 and their first rounder (projected 15-17), then you just might have to do that baring a QB or elite OT being there.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

My question is how many franchise QB’s are in the first round and are we determined to take one no matter what.

In some ways I think we’ve built the wrong way around, he probably would be better served with a great offensive line than great receivers. So if we’re sitting at 3 and Lawrence and Fields are gone, are we OK taking an OT or do we stay focused on moving on from Kirk?

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

My question is how many franchise QB’s are in the first round and are we determined to take one no matter what.

In some ways I think we’ve built the wrong way around, he probably would be better served with a great offensive line than great receivers. So if we’re sitting at 3 and Lawrence and Fields are gone, are we OK taking an OT or do we stay focused on moving on from Kirk?

Depends on what they think of Lance.

The Vikings RARELY pick in the top-10 let alone top-3. We're never in line for top-QB talent. If you get the chance to grab a top QB prospect for the first time in team history, you gotta do it.

I'm not saying you pull a Ponder and draft a QB just to draft a QB who is a 15-20 guy but if a QB who is good enough to go top-10 but MAYBE not top-5, you still take him.

If for whatever reason there's only two QBs worthy of being taken in the top-10, then you go for the OT....don't reach for the QB.

Then at least you have the rest of the 2021 draft and entire 2022 to hopefully grab a QB.

9 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Depends on what they think of Lance.

The Vikings RARELY pick in the top-10 let alone top-3. We're never in line for top-QB talent. If you get the chance to grab a top QB prospect for the first time in team history, you gotta do it.

I'm not saying you pull a Ponder and draft a QB just to draft a QB who is a 15-20 guy but if a QB who is good enough to go top-10 but MAYBE not top-5, you still take him.

If for whatever reason there's only two QBs worthy of being taken in the top-10, then you go for the OT....don't reach for the QB.

Then at least you have the rest of the 2021 draft and entire 2022 to hopefully grab a QB.

I think Lance is a better prospect than Ponder. I'd definitely consider him at #6.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Aren't we already doing that?

not really. we have young guys on the DL not getting many reps (mainly lynch and wonnum), cleveland only got a chance (at a different position) because of injury, etc. 

that could definitely chance once we're eliminated from the playoffs though.

• Like 1

If the Vikings have a top 5 pick, a quarterback will be drafted with that pick.  If the Vikings have a top 10 pick, I think there is good probability that there will be an attempt to move up into the top 5 for a quarterback.  Outside a top 10 pick it becomes more difficult to get that QBOF unless someone begins dropping ala Rodgers or Bridgewater.

I live less than 60 miles from where the former Redskins played, and suffered through having to watch more Washington games than anyone should have to watch when Cousins was there quarterback.  When there was the drive to sign him to Minnesota, many on this board were excited...looking at his better than average statistics, often with the addition of "he's never had weapons like he will have here."  Afterall, the Vikings were just coming off of an appearance in the NFC Championship game in 2017!  I was critical of the signing then as I had observed that his statistics were mostly padded during garbage time of Washington games.  I observed that his decision making was suspect and that he could really be rattled by defensive pressure...especially in his face.  His decision making and his inability to keep plays alive when the pocket was collapsing have not improved during his time in Minnesota.

Today's game requires a mobile and creative quarterback as developing great offensive lines seems to be abandoned by most NFL coaching staffs.  Cousins is not particularly mobile in comparison to Watson, Jackson, Wilson or Mahomes.  Neither is he creative when the play that is called breaks down.  This is who Kirk Cousins is.  He is not going to improve.  We've seen his best and his worst.  His best is not good enough, and his worst is just plain awful.  It's time to bench him and let's see what Mannion can accomplish.  I would try and trade Cousins, but I doubt there will be takers, so, I would cut him at the end of the year...yeah, I know that there's cap consequences to that move...but, the Vikings aren't going to sign any free agents anyway.

33 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

It's time to bench him and let's see what Mannion can accomplish. 

I agree with the first half of this sentence. The second half would be better if we were going to see what Browning or Stanley might accomplish, but I would rather watch paint dry than watch Sean Mannion play QB.

• Like 3