What movie are you watching?

Forge

2001 ASO.... internet went to bleep tonight so we finally opened the bluray I bought a decade ago...... jeez. This movie was so, so long and gave me a headache but I still really enjoyed it. Will never be a rewatch candidate though 

On 6/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, thrILL! said:

I didn’t like the first Wick enough to even see the 2nd one much less the others.  Even if Keanu Reeves shows up at my house with the Wick blu-rays and a QP of California’s finest, I’m still not watching them lol. 

also, William Forsythe >>>>>> any Wick bad guy

Calling Keanu notably better than prime Seagal as an actor probably isn't even really accurate anyway. Keanu is fantastic in that he gives his all physically and mentally to his roles, doing all the training, as many stunts as possible, etc, but his acting is simply not good. The first John Wick is the only one where it seemed like he was even trying to act, the scene where he's tied up and talking to Vigo is decently acted. But that's like the only scene where he acts well in the entire series.

That being said, John Wick, John Wick 2 and John Wick 3 are all masterpieces when it comes to choreography, stunt work, etc and continually one up the other in that regard. Great popcorn flicks to shut your brain off to, but if you try to think much about them it's not worth it.

4, however, I have to say, blew my expectations away. Keanu's acting is still the same but I don't really care because Donnie Yen, Bill Skarsgard, Clancy Brown, Hiroyuki Sanada, Shamier Anderson and even Scott Adkins(perhaps the most surprising as I've only ever known him for his stunt work/choreo, but he's hilarious as Killa and brings a really fun vibe to the scenes he's in) all killed their roles. Laurence Fishburne and Ian McShane are solid too but they'd been in the series since the 2nd and first respectively, so not really anything new there.

You add those performances to the stunt work and choreography that the John Wick films have perfected and you have something that IMO qualifies as one of the best movies this year.

Highly recommend giving 4 a watch even if you didn't enjoy any of the others all that much. Could just read through wiki articles for the plots of the previous ones if you don't wanna sit through those, but 4 is worth it.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:53 PM, adamq said:

2001 ASO.... internet went to bleep tonight so we finally opened the bluray I bought a decade ago...... jeez. This movie was so, so long and gave me a headache but I still really enjoyed it. Will never be a rewatch candidate though 

I've had a couple days to think and read about this movie.. and I was wrong, I'm going to rewatch it.. just will be more prepared for the super high pitched ringing.  Everything tracked for me except for the giant space baby.. they did make that the cover for the DVD, so I was expecting it.. but still an odd turn. 

Evil Dead Rise is awful.  I didn't care about any of the characters(I couldn't tell you most of their names during the movie) they also made bad decisions.  The chainsaw-wood chipper finale was the best part, but why would a wood chipper be in a parking garage for anyway?  IMO spend 95 minutes watching something else.  0/10

I rewatched Highlander over the weekend. I hadn't seen it in a long time.

...I don't remember the movie being THAT bad. I think it aged worse than I expected. Clancy Brown might have been the only highlight. 

That said, I know Henry Cavill was in talks to remake the movie. I think it should be a TV show, but I would love a new, modern take on it, with a higher budget. 

The TV show though could run through the different eras, and how Connor is tied throughout history... Season 1 starts in the Scottish Highlands. Bring him into the revolutionary/civil war, through WWI/WWII and so on. Might be an interesting approach to it. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I rewatched Highlander over the weekend. I hadn't seen it in a long time.

...I don't remember the movie being THAT bad. I think it aged worse than I expected. Clancy Brown might have been the only highlight. 

That said, I know Henry Cavill was in talks to remake the movie. I think it should be a TV show, but I would love a new, modern take on it, with a higher budget. 

The TV show though could run through the different eras, and how Connor is tied throughout history... Season 1 starts in the Scottish Highlands. Bring him into the revolutionary/civil war, through WWI/WWII and so on. Might be an interesting approach to it. 

It would take some dedication and a bit of faith from a network, but a series that goes one season per time period over like 6-8 seasons would be awesome.  Season 1 starting in the Scottish Highlands and the last season taking place in current day and hit those high points in between (Hundred Years War, French Revolution, WW2, etc...) has so much potential to be awesome.  IF.....you have the right cast and good writers.

• Like 1

Just saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.  It's a typical Indiana Jones movie.  If you've seen the others, you know what to expect.  It's good and fun, but nothing above that.  Mads Mikkelsen is the villain(is it me, or is he typecast as a villain?) a Nazi after the dial.   Lots of chases, close calls, cryptic clues, everything you'd expect in an Indiana Jones movie; nothing more, nothing less.  However much you like Indiana Jones(more 2 and 4, not 1 and 3 so much), you'll like this one.   7/10

I went and saw the Flash on Friday night.  7:00 showing in a theater that could seat probably 120.  8 of us were at the movie.

It wasn't good.  It wasn't bad.  It was in the middle.  I love the Flashpoint story.  They did it, okay.  All the cameo's aside, Ezra Miller was actually good as both Barry Allens.  (I don't like how they had him play the Barry Allen roles, but I thought he did them well.)  

But, I came away thinking that it is good that they will let this DC Universe die and move on.  

Highlight of the movie was anytime Keaton was on screen.  And the Gadot scene was a good one.  

The mid credits (only) scene, made very little sense to me and set up next to nothing.