Tyrod Taylor’s lung was punctured by team doctor

pwny

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

On a less current but related note, I've always wondered how the doctor who cut Ronnie Lott's finger off justified it.

I actually learned about this during quarantine on Ronnie's football life on NFLN. 

He busted the finger up on someone's helmet late in one season. He put a splint on it and tried to play through it, but the pinky was so busted that it basically rendered his hand useless and he was in so much pain due to the nerve endings that he was playing poorly. Ended up allowing some big plays in a playoff game that the niners lost and he blamed himself. Then, in the offseason the doctor told him "we can insert more screws, wait for the bone to set, and remove them, but there is a very strong chance it wont heal properly and you will reinjure it due to the physical nature of the sport" so Ronnie decided it was better to remove the tip of his finger (again in the offseason, not mid game like the legend would have you believe) so that he was 100% that he would never feel any pain in that finger ever again. 

So there was legitimate medical reasoning behind it. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I actually learned about this during quarantine on Ronnie's football life on NFLN. 

He busted the finger up on someone's helmet late in one season. He put a splint on it and tried to play through it, but the pinky was so busted that it basically rendered his hand useless and he was in so much pain due to the nerve endings that he was playing poorly. Ended up allowing some big plays in a playoff game that the niners lost and he blamed himself. Then, in the offseason the doctor told him "we can insert more screws, wait for the bone to set, and remove them, but there is a very strong chance it wont heal properly and you will reinjure it due to the physical nature of the sport" so Ronnie decided it was better to remove the tip of his finger (again in the offseason, not mid game like the legend would have you believe) so that he was 100% that he would never feel any pain in that finger ever again. 

That's super interesting man, thanks.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

(On a less current but related note, I've always wondered how the doctor who cut Ronnie Lott's finger off justified it.)

Pretty sure it was, "Well, it is the least used of all your fingers....if you're not married and don't need that ring finger, I can make it a 2 for 1 if you want"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

You should have made it the "Any Given Sunday" edition, in which case Ronnie Lott grabs a rusty hacksaw from the team's equipment room, bites down on a towel, has L.T. and Assistant Coach Jim Brown hold him down, and proceeds to hack it off, uses a car lighter to cauterize the tip, finds the ethically inept trainer from "Varsity Blues" who was injecting Lance's knee and makes him come and give him a shot, tapes it up, and leads them to a 2nd half victory.  

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

From the team that brought you David Chao

Who is now better known and arguably making more money than he was as a team doc due to the media contracts/retainers he's signed... for his expertise.  Though I suppose, when your issue is practically application of your medical knowledge and not the actual knowledge itself, maybe that's exactly the sort of job you should have.  Sort of like the old adage, those who cannot do, teach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You should have made it the "Any Given Sunday" edition, in which case Ronnie lot grabs a rusty hacksaw from the team's equipment room, bits down on a towel, has L.T. and Assistant Coach Jim Brown hold him down, and proceeds to hack it off, uses a car lighter to cauterize the tip, finds the ethically inept trainer from "Varsity Blues" who was injecting Lance's knee come give him a shot, tapes it up, and leads them to a 2nd half victory.  

You forgot he needs a Swig of Liquor to kill the pain.

865c.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Who is now better known and arguably making more money than he was as a team doc due to the media contracts/retainers he's signed... for his expertise.  Though I suppose, when your issue is practically application of your medical knowledge and not the actual knowledge itself, maybe that's exactly the sort of job you should have.  Sort of like the old adage, those who cannot do, teach.

Still makes me cringe when people post his tweets here as if they actually mean anything.