Should the Texans and Vikings panic?

patriotsheatyan

The Texans have played 3 arguably top 6-8ish teams in the Chiefs, Ravens, and Steelers, although I'm still not quite sure how good the Steelers are considering the teams they've beaten are 0-9 and they haven't exactly won any of them handily. Still, 0-3 is 0-3, and they need to turn it around fast. My issue is this - Watson is flustered way more by pressure than a lot of people talk about. He almost always drops his eyes down to evade the rush if it gets there quickly, and that's not a good recipe when your Oline - despite being heavily invested in - is playing so poorly. Their defense is also not very good and banged up simultaneously - not a great combo. I think they can squeak out an 8-8 season still....will that be enough with the new playoff format?

I think the Vikings are dead in the water, though.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

The Vikes are toast. There was just too much roster turnover to overcome and not enough talent ready to step in. And the fact that Cousins is playing like he’s going into his fourth career game. Six wins seems like a long shot at this point. There have been some key injuries. The secondary is decimated and they’ve been without Hunter.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

Texans? No. They can recover and still compete. They've also had arguably the hardest schedule through the first three weeks. They'll be okay. Do they recover? I don't know. But I wouldn't be firing people and blowing the season up yet.

Vikes have not had as rough of a schedule, and they have two 3-0 teams in their division. They've also just looked worse. Still awfully early to panic, but if things don't improve soon then yeah you could call their season dead.

Edited by Coffee & Contemplation

The Vikings are screwed for this year. No need to panic though. They'll walk into next year, presumably with the majority of this team intact along with Hunter healthy, Ngakoue in year two, Michael Pierce opting in, another year of experience for their corners and a likely high draft pick. They will be good next season.

• Like 2

For the Vikings I’m not entirely surprised by how the season has gone thus far, When Pierce opted out a lot of people knew it was going to be rough year when it came to running the ball up the middle and also knew it was going to be a rough year when you have as many departures in the secondary as the Vikings have had with Rhodes, Wayne’s and Mack Alexander that’s a lot of snaps to have left. I don’t have any numbers but I’d assume we have one of the youngest Secondary’s in the league if not youngest CB group. There will be a lot of growing pains this year and hopefully can get a lot of experience and grow by seasons end. I thought it would be somewhat of a lost year before the season started. No panic just hopefully we can draft Capt Kirks replacement this year if we’re THAT bad. 

Edited by mattyice0401
  • Like 1

YES!!! 

Texans because they still have Bill O’Brien who isn’t a good coach and an even worse GM. Like how do you trade Hopkins? 

Vikings because they still have Cousins. People got fooled by last season with him but he is still Kirk Cousins.

The one thing both have in common is they traded their top talented receivers to teams with young QBs (Allen and Murray) trying to take the next step. Both QBs have taken the next step, their teams are thriving. Those receivers are thriving and well the Texans and Vikings are winless and seem hopeless. 

They should listen to legendary coach Bum Phillips...and trade HC's for the game

" He could take his'n and beat your'n and turn around and take your'n and beat his'n"

Two 0-3 teams, swap head coaches for the game and see who does better.
Of course that brings up another famous quote from Bum:

" There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired"

2 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

But I wouldn't be firing people and blowing the season up yet.

It isn't just this season though. Bill O'Brien hasn't really improved this team outside of that 2014 season when he got here. He's managed to benefit from a bad division with no real QB to worry about, he's been overly reliant on superhuman seasons from JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson - this team has been stagnant since 2015, and that's after dropping every possible resource to find a starting QB and an OL to protect him. 

Bill O'Brien is another Jeff Fisher or Marvin Lewis as a HC. He's Matt Millen as a GM. That's not a combination that an NFL team should strive for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It isn't just this season though. Bill O'Brien hasn't really improved this team outside of that 2014 season when he got here. He's managed to benefit from a bad division with no real QB to worry about, he's been overly reliant on superhuman seasons from JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson - this team has been stagnant since 2015, and that's after dropping every possible resource to find a starting QB and an OL to protect him. 

Bill O'Brien is another Jeff Fisher or Marvin Lewis as a HC. He's Matt Millen as a GM. That's not a combination that an NFL team should strive for.

thanks for the 1st round picks ,bby