Colts at Bears - 12 CBS

dll2000

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I have a charcoal grill, but based on a non scientific study on why people swear at their propane grill right before their family gets mad at them: your tank is empty

Its a brand new tank jack ***.

LOL.  I'll get another one and see if that solves problem.  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Its a brand new tank jack ***.

LOL.  I'll get another one and see if that solves problem.  

Have you tried resetting the regulator?  Have had that stop flow a couple times on smokers.  It's the little pancake looking bastard above or attached to the shutoff valve, it's supposed to prevent too much gas flow, but can also shut off the flow after a big temp change like we just had.  You just close the valve, unplug the hose, wait a while, then reconnect.  

Guessing this is not your issue, but on vacation we just had a propane grill ruin a meal on vacation;  low flame that kept going out (pro tip, you do NOT want to slow cook fresh shrimp), and everything was fine except once I pulled up the diffuser plate it was like the ark of the covenant in there. The grill was pretty clean, but they'd NEVER looked under the plate so it was a pile of greasy char (including an intact rock solid hotdog that I'm guessing was at least a decade old) which clogged everything up. 

As much as I admire Hank Hill,  propane sucks. 

• Like 1

I don't think I have a pulse on this team right now... the defense concerns me with getting gashed in the run game, but our offense has been playing decent football. Are we still operating under center with BDN? Or is all that going out the window and we are returning to pass-whacky Nagy football?

I don't know. What a weird ******* season.

Bears 27
Colts 24

• Like 1

Another tough one to call.   I'll ignore the betting line.  Given that the home team always get a 3 point edge if we're a -2.5 pt "dog" then they actually see us losing by a TD.

The offense is gonna be a Wild Card for us but for Indy as well.  Not as much game video to review on Foles playing under Nagy.  No preseason stuff at all so just the 2nd half of the Atlanta game playing a game plan devised for Mitch.  Foles gives Nagy a shot at opening up his playbook a little more so I'd expect some surprises far more than I would a plain vanilla game plan.  Not too worried about Foles lack of preseason reps with his receivers.  Mitch had plenty of that.  Did it do any good?

I believe Foles is savvy enough to put some point on the board.  Enough to win.   Will Piniero be back and can he make a FG longer than 35 yards?  I could do that in HS.

If McCullers is ready to play this weekend that'll give us two 350lb DL for the Indy OL to deal with and maybe we can slide Nichols back to DE where he's more effective.  He isn't a true two gap NT whereas McCullers is.  He's only started 3 games in 6 seasons but all he has to do or us is eat up blockers and keep them off Smith and DT,  If we can force Rivers to throw more often that's to our advantage.  His arm has't gotten any stronger that's for sure and he lacks mobility so bring pressure hard.

I like the match up at home more than I would in Indy.  I think outdoors on grass favors us.  I think this may be a game where if we can hold them under 20 and Foles can hang 3 scores on the board for us we win.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, dll2000 said:

Where are you weakest?  As a position group and/or starting player?

Who are your standouts?
Who are your unsung or little known players that are better than public may know?

If you were game planning against yourself, what would the plan be against both the offense and defense?

Weakest at WR and/or K 

Blankenship is still young and misses the occasional FG 

Outside of TY Hilton and Zach Pascal our healthy WRs are:

Daurice Fountain 3rd year receiver coming off a torn ACL in 2019 just activated from the practice squad

Ashton Dulin 2nd year receiver who plays more special teams then offense 

Dezmon Pattmon 6th round rookie who was kept on the active roster rather then chance waivers 

Standouts -

TE Mo Alie-Cox, with Doyle and Burton both limited to injuries early he has put up back to back impressive games 

CB Xavier Rhodes didn’t look good week 1 but has really found himself the last 2 weeks 

Also DE Denico Autry has played more like his 2018 self (9.5 sacks as a 3T), benefiting from DeFo. 

As far as little known

Our Punter Rigoberto Sanchez has not punted for a touchback since week 2 of last season has had 4 of his 6 punts this season downed inside the 20 (3 of 4 this past week) 

Best strategy against our defense

We don’t necessarily play Cover 2 much anymore more Cover 3 actually. We only have one safety on our roster (Tavon Wilson) with a lot of experience. Blackmon and Willis are both playing well but are still very young. Jaguars targeted our zone coverage. Dink and dunk downfield. Problem was we weren’t choking them out in the red zone like we were supposed to and a few bad angles lead to big plays. 

Against our offense get Hilton off his game early and avoid YAC that is where Reich’s offense thrives. 

• Like 4

Bears are still not respected as a threat by fans/pundits/podcasts.  Maybe its deserved.  Not judging that at this point as right or wrong.  Just stating reality of perception.

Most everyone thought Detroit and Atlanta would win.  Most everyone thinks Indy will win fairly easily.

I guess we’ll see.  

I think we have some holes on interior DL and LT and ILB.  But our secondary play and 4/5ths of O line has been a pleasant surprise and playing above expectations and our edge rushers are as advertised and seem to be getting better.   Graham is contributing and a threat that cannot be ignored and a late round rookie WR is playing better than anyone expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears are still not respected as a threat by fans/pundits/podcasts.  Maybe its deserved.  Not judging that at this point as right or wrong.  Just stating reality of perception.

Most everyone thought Detroit and Atlanta would win.  Most everyone thinks Indy will win fairly easily.

I guess we’ll see.  

I think we have some holes on interior DL and LT and ILB.  But our secondary play and 4/5ths of O line has been a pleasant surprise and playing above expectations and our edge rushers are as advertised and seem to be getting better.   Graham is contributing and a threat that cannot be ignored and a late round rookie WR is playing better than anyone expected.

I love the Bears but I'M not sure if they're any good or not!  Every team is shaky this season, but the Bears keep being really ******* weird.  Name one unit that's been consistent for an entire game, much less a season... Every single game we've had has been ridiculous up and down;  Mitch leads a Q4 comeback?  Foles leads a bigger one?  Defense looks terrible until sealing 2 games right at the end?  Bizarre luck (good and bad)? This team is just wild right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I love the Bears but I'M not sure if they're any good or not!  Every team is shaky this season, but the Bears keep being really ******* weird.  Name one unit that's been consistent for an entire game, much less a season... Every single game we've had has been ridiculous up and down;  Mitch leads a Q4 comeback?  Foles leads a bigger one?  Defense looks terrible until sealing 2 games right at the end?  Bizarre luck (good and bad)? This team is just wild right now.

Pagano/Pace/Nagy need to figure out how to play against teams going big on us.

RRH, Nichols, and Urban are not holding up at point of attack and that is causing problems for Roquan and Trevathan and then that in turn is causing problems for safeties who aren't best on runners in open field.  It is a whole domino effect.

Basically whole middle of our defense is a problem right now simply because we lack a big body at that can control 2 gaps inside or not get moved by a double.  These are things PFF doesn't get when they say run defending DL don't matter.   They do matter.   You don't see that they matter until you don't have them.   And then you are like oh.  This stinks.  

It really sucks as this is where Indy is strong.   More I look at these match ups the more I think Indy may have too many advantages in this game..

BUT a clever coach can scheme against run and force the pass where we are strong and they are relatively weak with injuries.  It easier to scheme against run than a dynamic passing attack.  You can do it with stunts and blitzes and safeties playing up and defenders submarining or holding OL like Giants did to us.   Pagano has had horses in Chicago and elsewhere and likes to just let players play in recent years.   He's been creative in past, but not recently.  

Pagano needs to show he can be a clever coach and not rely on talent alone.

Indy has a really talented front 7 defensively too.  This game is definitely biggest challenge to date.

So they have some mismatches on us.  But we have some on them as well.    

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pagano/Pace/Nagy need to figure out how to play against teams going big on us.

RRH, Nichols, and Urban are not holding up at point of attack and that is causing problems for Roquan and Trevathan and then that in turn is causing problems for safeties who aren't best on runners in open field.  It is a whole domino effect.

Basically whole middle of our defense is a problem right now simply because we lack a big body at that can control 2 gaps inside or not get moved by a double.  These are things PFF doesn't get when they say run defending DL don't matter.   They do matter.   You don't see that they matter until you don't have them.   And then you are like oh.  This stinks.  

It really sucks as this is where Indy is strong.   More I look at these match ups the more I think Indy may have too many advantages in this game..

BUT a clever coach can scheme against run and force the pass where we are strong and they are relatively weak with injuries.  It easier to scheme against run than a dynamic passing attack.  You can do it with stunts and blitzes and safeties playing up and defenders submarining or holding OL like Giants did to us.   Pagano has had horses in Chicago and elsewhere and likes to just let players play in recent years.   He's been creative in past, but not recently.  

Pagano needs to show he can be a clever coach and not rely on talent alone.

Indy has a really talented front 7 defensively too.  This game is definitely biggest challenge to date.

So they have some mismatches on us.  But we have some on them as well.    

I totally agree, and think a win or loss is going to depend on either Pagano changing scheme to limit big runs, or changing personnel. Roquan has made some amazing fast plays in run and pass but if you're asking him to handle a TE or OL he's going to get shoved out of the way while Taylor gets a free trip. 

5 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I totally agree, and think a win or loss is going to depend on either Pagano changing scheme to limit big runs, or changing personnel. Roquan has made some amazing fast plays in run and pass but if you're asking him to handle a TE or OL he's going to get shoved out of the way while Taylor gets a free trip. 

Hard to get over that we have the answer to this problem on the roster but he is opted out.  

Also I don't get why Pace is bringing in UDFAs for problem.  Find an actual veteran player already.  Fix the hole.   Or make a minor trade.  You have a good team right now.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Hard to get over that we have the answer to this problem on the roster but he is opted out.  

Also I don't get why Pace is bringing in UDFAs for problem.  Find an actual veteran player already.  Fix the hole.   Or make a minor trade.  You have a good team right now.  

Which UDFA's is he bringing in? As far as I know only McCullers has been signed to address the void at DT and he has years of experience playing on a deep 3-4 style D over in Pitts.  I am interested to see how he does first before saying they need to go out and spend more than they would probably want to on a guy like Snacks Harrison, who wasn't even good last year when he was playing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I watched last week's game again, and thought that Urban did fairly well, all things considered. Maybe he'll get better with more playing time.