The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Every team gets better with better QB play, but not every team becomes scary like Tampa. 

And Tampa wasn't even bad in 2019!  They finished 7-9 despite their QB throwing 30 interceptions!  A bad team with a QB throwing that # of picks doesn't go 7-9, they go 3-13 at best.  

They had the #3 overall offense in yards and points last year (again, despite a QB throwing 30 INTs).  And yet this dude is acting like it is preposterous or disrespectful to state a pretty obvious fact; Buccaneers are stacked as all hell.

The ONLY question anyone ever had with them was if it would all gel together.  I doubted how Arians and Brady would mesh.  But there was never any doubt about what they were capable of if that all came together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

And Tampa wasn't even bad in 2019!  They finished 7-9 despite their QB throwing 30 interceptions!  A bad team with a QB throwing that # of picks doesn't go 7-9, they go 3-13 at best.  

They had the #3 overall offense in yards and points last year (again, despite a QB throwing 30 INTs).  And yet this dude is acting like it is preposterous or disrespectful to state a pretty obvious fact; Buccaneers are stacked as all hell.

The ONLY question anyone ever had with them was if it would all gel together.  I doubted how Arians and Brady would mesh.  But there was never any doubt about what they were capable of if that all came together.

Yes, we all had this discussion last year in multiple threads.  Bucs are the scariest team in the division with a QB that doesn't commit 40 turnovers.  

18 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Every team gets better with better QB play, but not every team becomes scary like Tampa. 

Brady isn't dumb, he went to Tampa for a reason, the same reason Manning went to Denver.  

Lots of teams could become scary like Tampa with elite QB play.  

Bears have horrible QB play and are 5-2.

Baker mayfield has sucked this year and the browns are 5-2. 

Last season Josh allen was horrible and the Bills won 10 games. 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Are you suggesting they aren't an extremely talented team?  

Where do you think they rank in the league, talent-wise?  What teams are you putting ahead of them?

Yes, a team that has went all-in on a Super Bowl should be ashamed if they don't win.  They signed Brady.  They signed AB.  They signed Fournette.  They signed Gronk.  They already had Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.  They have Ronald Jones starting to play up to his potential.  And they have had, undoubtedly, the best run defense in the NFL the last 2 years.  And a pass defense that is in the top 10 right now.

But I am sure you are going to convince me that they aren't a stacked team... and for what, really?  I am not suggesting that this takes away from Tom Brady.  Dude's great.  We know that.  But don't act like Tampa isn't freakin' stacked.  This is a dominant team, both talent-wise and performance-wise.  And they just signed arguably the best WR of the last decade, who given his skill-set likely can still perform at a damn high level at 32 years old.  

Every team is talented. The difference Between the bad teams and good teams is largely  QB play and coaching. We see it all the time supposedly bad teams turn around when they upgrade the QB position. 

The only difference in Tampa from last season is a rookie RT, a TE who everyone told me was “Washed”, an average at best RB in LF who has been surpassed by a guy who everyone told me sucked prior to 2020 and a rookie safety. 

Brown hasn’t played a down yet and they’re 5-2 leading the league in DOVA(lapping the field actually)

18 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

A 7-9 team is bad anyway you slice it. They went 5-11 the previous season too so it’s not like it’s an outlier. 

Their offensive efficiency numbers were terrible btw. 23in in DOVA(6th with Tom now) 

Just now, CP3MVP said:

Lots of teams could become scary like Tampa with elite QB play.  

Bears have horrible QB play and are 5-2.

Baker mayfield has sucked this year and the browns are 5-2. 

Well yea, QB has held the Bears back for several years.  They had an elite defense and won games starting Mitch Trubisky at QB.  But Tampa is much better offensively than the Bears, and roughly the same in points per drive against.  Why would Brady go there when he could go throw to Evans and Godwin, while also having a great defense?

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well yea, QB has held the Bears back for several years.  They had an elite defense and won games starting Mitch Trubisky at QB.  But Tampa is much better offensively than the Bears, and roughly the same in points per drive against.  Why would Brady go there when he could go throw to Evans and Godwin, while also having a great defense?

Yeah bad QBs hold teams back. There’s lots of teams that would look elite with great Qb. 

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Elway's problem, though, was the offensive scheme. Dan Reeves was no offensive genius. When he left, John's numbers greatly improved when he started working with his college offensive coach (Jim Fassel).

Hmmm, so you're saying he performed considerably better in one offensive scheme than another? Curious. 🤔

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Hmmm, so you're saying he performed considerably better in one offensive scheme than another? Curious. 🤔

Stat wise, yeah. He had better weapons in future years (for example, Brady has had better stats with better weapons than with not. Compare 2006 and 07). However, he was still the straw that stirred the drink. Denver was 7-3 in 92 when he got hurt, and they didn't win another game that year until he came back in Week 16 against Seattle.

12 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Stat wise, yeah. He had better weapons in future years (for example, Brady has had better stats with better weapons than with not. Compare 2006 and 07). However, he was still the straw that stirred the drink. Denver was 7-3 in 92 when he got hurt, and they didn't win another game that year until he came back in Week 16 against Seattle.

Okay, so by your estimation, a great QB can cover for a bad defense, even if they're not performing at their best. 

But really, you glossed over what I was getting at. Which is that you can't claim "the system" as something that's incontrovertibly the reason for QB A's success whilst claiming that QB B transcended "system" even though the latter clearly had better results in one system over another. 

edit: By the way, how do you explain 1990 (Broncos went 5-11 with Elway starting all 16 games)?

Edited by Starless

2 hours ago, RUGmen said:

It’s almost as if Brady haters always have to discredit everything he does somehow. It’s as if he needs to go to a team like the Jets and lead them to the SB to give him any credit.

It is not discrediting him to say he's on a ridiculously talented team.

Why do people always think it has to be one or the other?  Brady is a great QB.  You could argue he's the greatest QB of all-time.  And yet, it can still be true the Bucs are an extremely well-built team.  They had a positive point differential last year (albeit barely) with the most turnover-prone QB the NFL had seen in years.  They had a dominant, absolutely dominant run defense that hasn't taken a step back this year.  And they have only gotten better all-around this year, and that includes signing Tom Brady.

I don't even know why this is something that is being contested.  It is not disrespect to Brady to say he's on a strong team.  You add any great QB to this team, especially one that limits turnovers unlike Jameis, and they are still a playoff team.  That ain't disrespect to Brady.  That's just the truth.  Like I said, nobody doubted the potential of the team.  It was all about if Brady and Arians would fit well together.  And every week, the offense seems to get stronger and stronger, and the defense is nasty.  If ya'll can't see that, then I don't think it's Brady "haters" that are the problem.  

Besides, it isn't like I'm leaving Brady out of the equation.  He is a big reason of why this team is stupid talented.  And why, if they don't win the Super Bowl, they should be disappointed.  They are going all-in on a championship with quite a few aging players.  If they don't win in the next 2 years, how can anyone look at it as anything but a massive failure?

Like do people consider someone a Kevin Durant hater or Steph Curry hater for saying those Warriors teams were downright filthy?  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Stop it.

Aside from the jets 

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It is not discrediting him to say he's on a ridiculously talented team.

Why do people always think it has to be one or the other?  Brady is a great QB.  You could argue he's the greatest QB of all-time.  And yet, it can still be true the Bucs are an extremely well-built team.  They had a positive point differential last year (albeit barely) with the most turnover-prone QB the NFL had seen in years.  They had a dominant, absolutely dominant run defense that hasn't taken a step back this year.  And they have only gotten better all-around this year, and that includes signing Tom Brady.

I don't even know why this is something that is being contested.  It is not disrespect to Brady to say he's on a strong team.  You add any great QB to this team, especially one that limits turnovers unlike Jameis, and they are still a playoff team.  That ain't disrespect to Brady.  That's just the truth.  Like I said, nobody doubted the potential of the team.  It was all about if Brady and Arians would fit well together.  And every week, the offense seems to get stronger and stronger, and the defense is nasty.  If ya'll can't see that, then I don't think it's Brady "haters" that are the problem.  

Besides, it isn't like I'm leaving Brady out of the equation.  He is a big reason of why this team is stupid talented.  And why, if they don't win the Super Bowl, they should be disappointed.  They are going all-in on a championship with quite a few aging players.  If they don't win in the next 2 years, how can anyone look at it as anything but a massive failure?

Like do people consider someone a Kevin Durant hater or Steph Curry hater for saying those Warriors teams were downright filthy?  

You just compared the all time great 2015-2016 Warriors team that Durant signed with to a Bucs team that’s went 7-9 in 2019 and hasn’t made the playoffs since 2007.

A much better example would be Kirk cousins signing to the Vikings who went 13-3 and was in the NFC title game the prior year