Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

II was thinking about it last night and realized the Bears/Pace have really done an awful job drafting and acquiring scheme-based talent (not that you should get guys specifically for a scheme, you should scheme around the players, but I digress)

Arob/Miller... Jump ball, 50/50 guys. Instead they're running screens.

Graham... Redzone threat. Nope, run him in the middle of the field.

Cordarelle... Get him in space. Nope, running back and he needs to run between the tackles on 3rd down.

Cohen... Get him in space. Run between tackles and make him a 5'6" WR.

Trubisky... Mobile, raw QB. Stand in the pocket and make 4 reads.

I just can't comprehend how it got so far away from the vision that we all had. It's no wonder they can't do anything, they drafted people that don't fit and ignored the OL.

And I don't understand this "Pace endearing himself to the McCaskeys". It's a business. I can endear myself to my bosses as much as I'd like, I'm still liable to be fired if I do half my job. You wanna endear yourself to them, resign and go get some mimosas or something. We need Front office guys that can recognize talent and scheme and don't just give away future picks because they are important as hell.

• Like 2

Guys I wouldn't take anyone's word too seriously who's not directly involved with this team in some capacity.

I respect Michael Lombardi but he is just saying this based on what he is sensing from other execs around the league.  He has no inside knowledge of what the McCaskey family is thinking when it comes to the status of Pace and so on.

Pace went into this season with two years remaining on his contract. If he endeared himself so much to the McCaskey family do you not think he would have been extended further by now?

Like I said take these things with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The_Romen said:

II was thinking about it last night and realized the Bears/Pace have really done an awful job drafting and acquiring scheme-based talent (not that you should get guys specifically for a scheme, you should scheme around the players, but I digress)

Arob/Miller... Jump ball, 50/50 guys. Instead they're running screens.

Graham... Redzone threat. Nope, run him in the middle of the field.

Cordarelle... Get him in space. Nope, running back and he needs to run between the tackles on 3rd down.

Cohen... Get him in space. Run between tackles and make him a 5'6" WR.

Trubisky... Mobile, raw QB. Stand in the pocket and make 4 reads.

I just can't comprehend how it got so far away from the vision that we all had. It's no wonder they can't do anything, they drafted people that don't fit and ignored the OL.

InformalEssentialElver-small.gif

19 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Guys I wouldn't take anyone's word too seriously who's not directly involved with this team in some capacity.

I respect Michael Lombardi but he is just saying this based on what he is sensing from other execs around the league.  He has no inside knowledge of what the McCaskey family is thinking when it comes to the status of Pace and so on.

Pace went into this season with two years remaining on his contract. If he endeared himself so much to the McCaskey family do you not think he would have been extended further by now?

Like I said take these things with a grain of salt.

Yeah, pretty much this. Pace isn't safe. There's no way in hell Pace is safe. Stripping Nagy of play calling duties is all we need to know about how safe ANY of them are. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, St Vince said:

As a Packers fan I think Pace is one of the better GM'S in the league. The only mistake he made was taking Trubisky over Mahomes. His only other bad draft pick was Kevin White. Most of his draft picks were sold picks. He killed it in FA. I still think your roster is better than ours. Your roster has the talent, what i'm seeing is the offense is underperforming for the talent it has. The defense is still solid and SB caliber. Pace has done a way better job than our GM. Remember you guys gave up a lot of draft capital for Mack which was the right move. Foles is a good QB who's won a SB, that was the right move. I just don't get why your offense can't score more points given the talent it has. That's where the problem is,  not Pace.

I don't know how I didn't see this post until now but I'm glad that I did, nonetheless. I don't necessarily agree with some of it (Foles), but it's nice to read an opinion from an outside POV with no agenda.

Unfortunately it won't matter though.  I've been saying some of these very same things for years now and it falls on def ears because we have some idiot fans who want their cake and eat it too.

Fans liked Pace trading for Mack, but were are also mad that we didn't have the resources to fix other areas. Fans were upset about the TE position after last year and are now upset about Pace drafting a TE with the 1st pick. Fans are upset about the starting corner position last year and wanted a replacement for Prince, but now they ***** because Pace drafted a CB---who has played well and is part of a defense which is the ONLY reason we have won games.

You can't please some of these fans. They have this utopian idea that it can all be fixed with a new GM. They seem to think that any GM who drafts a good QB means they're a good GM. And I wish to hell that you or ANY Packers fan would come into this sub and explain to these morons that it takes more than just a QB to win a SB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't know how I didn't see this post until now but I'm glad that I did, nonetheless. I don't necessarily agree with some of it (Foles), but it's nice to read an opinion from an outside POV with no agenda.

Unfortunately it won't matter though.  I've been saying some of these very same things for years now and it falls on def ears because we have some idiot fans who want their cake and eat it too.

Fans liked Pace trading for Mack, but were are also mad that we didn't have the resources to fix other areas. Fans were upset about the TE position after last year and are now upset about Pace drafting a TE with the 1st pick. Fans are upset about the starting corner position last year and wanted a replacement for Prince, but now they ***** because Pace drafted a CB---who has played well and is part of a defense which is the ONLY reason we have won games.

You can't please some of these fans. They have this utopian idea that it can all be fixed with a new GM. They seem to think that any GM who drafts a good QB means they're a good GM. And I wish to hell that you or ANY Packers fan would come into this sub and explain to these morons that it takes more than just a QB to win a SB.

You are fighting ghosts.

Fans are upset that in 6 seasons he has built one of the worst offenses in franchise history and that the Bears are non-competitive.  

• Like 1

Success as a GM is not about individual moves. When you trade away resources like Pace, the guys you pick have to hit. When you spend premium picks on non-premium positions, the guys you pick have to be impactful.

Nobody looks at Trubisky, Floyd, Montgomery, or Miller as being so special they were worth giving up resources. That’s not an unreasonable standard. The consistent problem with Pace is not in how he evaluates players but in how he manages the resources available to improve the team.

Not everyone was optimistic about the Mack trade, and some argued that committing so much to Mack would put a limit on how much more the team could improve. It turns out those concerns were valid and the team’s talent level has stagnated. That would be OK if more of Pace’s acquisitions worked out. But with most of them stagnating, this version of the Bears tops out as a 9-10 win team with no chance at a Super Bowl.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Pace definitely deserves credit for the defense, but you have even mentioned how terrible the offense is. He and Nagy have failed spectacularly on that side of the ball, so defending his pick at TE or QB moves doesnt help him. Many of us hated his clear negligence at OT for the last several years and that has really killed us the last two years. All winning has done this season is dropped our draft pick for the bust that is the 2020 Bears season. 

It definitely takes more than a QB to win a Super Bowl, but without a QB you wont get sustained success unless you get 80s Bears level talent. That's the primary reason why GB has beat the crap out of the Bears with disappointing regularity since they traded for Favre. 

Edited by Sugashane

Key mistakes get blown up and spread even when you do pretty good in other areas. 

Pace essentially ignored OT for 5 years in draft and FA.  Going with journeymen players and late picks.   He actually got really lucky that they stayed mostly healthy.

He missed at QB.

He picked a coach that has a lot of good qualities, but is lacking in some key areas, namely practice and development.  Funny thing is I believe offensive coaches are way to go as HCs, but Fangio or Pagano would have both done better I believe.  I think Pace lacks experience to solve some problems he has faced.

Ignore OT, miss on QB and coach.  That will get you 2020 Bears.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Key mistakes get blown up and spread even when you do pretty good in other areas. 

Pace essentially ignored OT for 5 years in draft and FA.  Going with journeymen players and late picks.   He actually got really lucky that they stayed mostly healthy.

He missed at QB.

He picked a coach that has a lot of good qualities, but is lacking in some key areas, namely practice and development.  Funny thing is I believe offensive coaches are way to go as HCs, but Fangio or Pagano would have both done better I believe.  I think Pace lacks experience to solve some problems he has faced.

Ignore OT, miss on QB and coach.  That will get you 2020 Bears.

Ya he gambled and failed too many times.  The lack of investment in the OL really hurts.  Just a total miscalculation of what was required to have a functional offense in today's NFL.

I talk a lot of **** about Nagy but Pace was the one who hired him in the first place. I guess I just don't really trust him to get it right a 3rd time, nor the QB position.