2021 Draft Thread

John232

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Mond has his warts but for a day 3 pick, there's enough talent and potential there to be intrigued. I'd take Mond over Trask in a heartbeat.

Don't think it will matter. We are going to go QB early, I think. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't think it will matter. We are going to go QB early, I think. 

And it will be a mistake. It is what it is. Though I like Wilson, we'll have to give up too much to go get him. And with the amount of free agents we have, we really need to keep as many picks as possible and try to fill some holes with youth.

I think Newman is going to be good. Great size and movement but he's just as good from the pocket and throws a beautiful deep ball. Wilson will be all the buzz but Newman is probably the better all around talent and has a higher ceiling imo. And because he sat out the entire year, I think he falls to Day 2. Well at least I hope...

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And it will be a mistake. It is what it is. Though I like Wilson, we'll have to give up too much to go get him. And with the amount of free agents we have, we really need to keep as many picks as possible and try to fill some holes with youth.

I think Newman is going to be good. Great size and movement but he's just as good from the pocket and throws a beautiful deep ball. Wilson will be all the buzz but Newman is probably the better all around talent and has a higher ceiling imo. And because he sat out the entire year, I think he falls to Day 2. Well at least I hope...

It's not a mistake...it's just a necessary evil, unfortunately. You just have to close your eyes and hope that it works out. You're still going to find your best talents at the top of the draft, most frequently, it's just it's still no better than a coinflip proposition. We are capped out, so overpaying marginally average QBs is not a feasible proposition to continue with a winning team, and that includes Jimmy, Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater, Rivers, etc.

We are going to finish with a pick somewhere between 8-12, most likely, I would imagine. Its very rare that you have 4 quarterbacks go in the top 10 (2018 was the first time in over 60 years), so I am not worried about giving up too much to give up someone (the tricky part is that we have to be worried about Kyle being locked in to one guy). If we want a QB, there will be one available out of the top 4, I believe, and that's before considering something such as drafting another spot around the top 10 (corner, maybe) and then trading up from our second round pick to move up and get someone like Trask or Mac Jones. 

Also, I'd be shocked if Kyle likes Newman. He's pretty bad with his accuracy and we know that Kyle doesn't particularly care about the legs of a QB. The accuracy isn't a killer for me (I liked Josh Allen) though I don't find Newman particularly enticing as a passer, and I'd be super shocked if Kyle had him high on the board. 

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not a mistake...it's just a necessary evil, unfortunately. You just have to close your eyes and hope that it works out. You're still going to find your best talents at the top of the draft, most frequently, it's just it's still no better than a coinflip proposition. We are capped out, so overpaying marginally average QBs is not a feasible proposition to continue with a winning team, and that includes Jimmy, Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater, Rivers, etc.

We are going to finish with a pick somewhere between 8-12, most likely, I would imagine. Its very rare that you have 4 quarterbacks go in the top 10 (2018 was the first time in over 60 years), so I am not worried about giving up too much to give up someone (the tricky part is that we have to be worried about Kyle being locked in to one guy). If we want a QB, there will be one available out of the top 4, I believe, and that's before considering something such as drafting another spot around the top 10 (corner, maybe) and then trading up from our second round pick to move up and get someone like Trask or Mac Jones. 

Also, I'd be shocked if Kyle likes Newman. He's pretty bad with his accuracy and we know that Kyle doesn't particularly care about the legs of a QB. The accuracy isn't a killer for me (I liked Josh Allen) though I don't find Newman particularly enticing as a passer, and I'd be super shocked if Kyle had him high on the board. 

Disagree on the Newman's accuracy. Its no better or worst than anyone else in this class outside of Lawrence maybe. And it's definitely not something that would alarm me to think he wouldn't be in play versus others in the class. Newman is money, short to intermediate and that's how our offense is geared at this present time so I don't see where his skillset should exclude him from being a kid Kyle would like.  Both Wlison and Trask were shaky with their accuracy last year but have improved this year. Didn't get a chance to see if Newman could have made a similar leap. I think Newman displays deft touch and anticipation from the pocket, which I feel is key@the next level. 

Edited by 757-NINER

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Mond has his warts but for a day 3 pick, there's enough talent and potential there to be intrigued. I'd take Mond over Trask in a heartbeat.

I starting to see a few mocks with Mond going to us (usually 2nd round). Supposedly fits well with what Kyle likes to do??

17 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Disagree on the Newman's accuracy. Its no better or worst than anyone else in this class outside of Lawrence maybe. And it's definitely not something that would alarm me to think he wouldn't be in play versus others in the class. Newman is money, short to intermediate and that's how our offense is geared at this present time so I don't see where his skillset should exclude him from being a kid Kyle would like.  Both Wlison and Trask were shaky with their accuracy last year but have improved this year. Didn't get a chance to see if Newman could have made a similar leap. I think Newman displays deft touch and anticipation from the pocket, which I feel is key@the next level. 

I have certainly never heard anyone describe Newman's accuracy as "money", that's for sure. If that's what you're seeing we will just have to disagree. I don't see a guy that is overly accurate at all though I will give him credit as being challenged more in tight spaces than a lot of these guys. He makes some tighter coverage throws than some which is good / bad, so he's got some nice experience with fitting the ball into a tight space. 

I think both Trask and Wilson have had much more natural accuracy than Newman even before this year (Wilson was  bad last year, but he was pretty good as a freshman, which a lot of people forget is a naturally accurate thrower of the football, I would say), so equating them to Newman is a miscalculation in my estimation, though yes, both have gotten much better and taken leaps this year.  

The secondary problem though, and one that makes the comparison moot, is they are both playing and Newman is not. Even if his accuracy would have gotten better, it's not, because he's not playing. He's missing valuable reps and game experience absolutely matters. It's also not a guarantee that the accuracy would have gotten better (see Josh Allen in his last year)

Now, there are some things I really like with Newman, and I'd certainly take a stab on him in the middle rounds, but he's definitely a project QB as there are a number of things I don't adore about him,  and I'm not passing on a top tier QB in this draft for that if given the choice.  If we are retaining Jimmy or bringing on another vet, then sure, though I don't think that will happen. 

19 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This was my take on Wilson after watching some highlights. *oh we run that and we run that in SF*

I know a lot of ppl come out and start saying “so & so” would fit the Niners regime perfectly, but I’m really hopeful that he falls into our laps and we don’t overthink it. 

• Like 1