2021 Draft Thread

John232

6 hours ago, struby3 said:

Does Garoppolo have trade value? I don't know what to think. Some writers around the web seem to think so, others disagree. Some NE fans have proposed sending a 2nd rounder for him. Some people think nobody would take on his contract. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, fellas.

In a few articles i've read over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be framed as "the niners would love to have Garappolo back, but are exploring all options". To me, that sounds like the team trying to drive up trade value.

Chris Simms of NBC (who is Shanny's friend) has said that Jimmy G has likely played his last game for the Niners. I dont think Shanny would explicitly tell Simms that, but maybe its something he gleaned from conversation 

Not sure who would trade for him though. I expect teams to go QB heavy this draft. Even if we wanted a rookie QB, we might have to do a massive trade up. We'vre gona win too many games to just sit back and pick a QB of our choice

7 hours ago, struby3 said:

Does Garoppolo have trade value? I don't know what to think. Some writers around the web seem to think so, others disagree. Some NE fans have proposed sending a 2nd rounder for him. Some people think nobody would take on his contract. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, fellas.

I don't think his contract will be a problem for anyone. It's basically a year to year deal and it's no longer a huge deal for a starter like it was when he signed. If we could get NE's 2nd rounder I would take that in an instant. 

32 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Not sure who would trade for him though. I expect teams to go QB heavy this draft. Even if we wanted a rookie QB, we might have to do a massive trade up. We'vre gona win too many games to just sit back and pick a QB of our choice

I think you're being a little too optimistic about how many games we are going to win the rest of the way. I think Dallas and Washington are definitely possibilities, but outside of that I don't really see us standing a chance. I don't even think it's a guarantee we beat both Dallas and Washington TBH. I think we'll definitely be in the top 10 maybe even closer to the top 5. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

In a few articles i've read over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be framed as "the niners would love to have Garappolo back, but are exploring all options". To me, that sounds like the team trying to drive up trade value.

Chris Simms of NBC (who is Shanny's friend) has said that Jimmy G has likely played his last game for the Niners. I dont think Shanny would explicitly tell Simms that, but maybe its something he gleaned from conversation 

Simms said he hasn't talked to Shanahan since the season started and is just guessing. The reason Shanahan doesn't talk to him during the season? He said Simms is part of the click bait media LOL. 

10 hours ago, struby3 said:

To the right team, yes. Not a lot. But Indy could give up something for him. Chicago as well, New England. Not a lot of teams, but there are a few

17 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone. I for one would love the opportunity to bring in Zach Wilson. I haven't watched much Mac Jones yet, but he for sure will be on my list to watch. 

Miller: 49ers ‘investing serious time’ scouting QBs in next year’s draft, Peters evaluates Zach Wilson, Mac Jones
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/142081-miller-49ers-investing-serious-resources-scouting-quarterbacks-years/

Brian peacock described Jones as a rich mans beathard. Now, I have to say peacock is not a draft guy so take that with a grain of salt, and I personally don't really view that as an applicable comparison at all,  but it's an absolutely hilarious comparison guaranteed to get his listeners to be completely out on Jones. You never want to compare any prospect to any version of beathard lol

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Brian peacock described Jones as a rich mans beathard. Now, I have to say peacock is not a draft guy so take that with a grain of salt, and I personally don't really view that as an applicable comparison at all,  but it's an absolutely hilarious comparison guaranteed to get his listeners to be completely out on Jones. You never want to compare any prospect to any version of beathard lol

He must be REALLY tough!

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Frankly, I don't think it is that far off of a comparison. Similar to Trask too. Both those guys are in ferrari's of offenses right now and while you can appreciate what they are doing currently I don't think it is going to translate to success at the next level. Could be wrong, I have been (numerous times) before. Neither are athletic and both have arm strength limitations. Both can be overcome with a good coach/scheme/players around them but I wouldn't spend a high pick on either of them personally. 3rd to 4th round guys for me.    

Hoping to see the 49ers finish 4-12 to get a high draft pick as we definitely need a franchise QB. Jimmy G was a decent stopgap but time to move on. If we can get the Patriots 2nd rounder for him, that would be great. Of course, just clearing his salary will be huge. Getting a QB in round one under a cheap rookie contract would also be huge. Can keep the young core intact while letting some older guys leave.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gore Whore 21 said:

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone. I for one would love the opportunity to bring in Zach Wilson. I haven't watched much Mac Jones yet, but he for sure will be on my list to watch. 

Miller: 49ers ‘investing serious time’ scouting QBs in next year’s draft, Peters evaluates Zach Wilson, Mac Jones
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/142081-miller-49ers-investing-serious-resources-scouting-quarterbacks-years/

Zach Wilson is an obvious place to look - BYU runs a lot of our stuff. Heavier looks, lots of outside zone, pretty much all of our play action concepts from the waggles and slides to big counters to those PA staples. Lots of outside zone RPOs and quick hitting slant YAC stuff. They have a second tight end more and pistol instead of I variants, but it’s really similar. Wilson is terrific at the bootleg stuff. He has a pretty deep ball and can change arm angles and zing in tight window throws to receivers running with him. I have some concerns about the quick hitting timing stuff. He’s a bit of an Anti-Garoppolo at this point - athletic, better at the bigger hitting stuff than the quick game. And the O-Line has been very good at keeping him relatively clean. We can’t guarantee that. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mac Jones. Yay? Or Nay? Apparently he's been scouted by Adams Peters along with Zach Wilson

Would be nice to give Seattle a taste of it's own medicine in this particular capacity. 

I have been watching a lot of Zach Wilson highlights, this kid is darn good. Steve Young had a pretty high opinion of him too, he just has that 'IT' factor and not many glaring weaknesses....other than top end competition.

I would normally be against drafting a QB in round 1 when we already have Jimmy, but if we could get Z. Wilson and shed 25 million from getting rid of Jimmy G, we would get a cheap/ talented/ young QB and have the cash to extend players.

On the flip side, would be nice to sure up our O-line early in the draft and give Jimmy G a chance to stay upright.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, Ftn49 said:

Frankly, I don't think it is that far off of a comparison. Similar to Trask too. Both those guys are in ferrari's of offenses right now and while you can appreciate what they are doing currently I don't think it is going to translate to success at the next level. Could be wrong, I have been (numerous times) before. Neither are athletic and both have arm strength limitations. Both can be overcome with a good coach/scheme/players around them but I wouldn't spend a high pick on either of them personally. 3rd to 4th round guys for me.    

That's way too broad for me to draw a comparison between Jones and Beathard for me. 

CJ was pretty much undraftable to me. Beathard had 0 pocket awareness with a general lackadaisical demeanor. He was extremely slow to process information on the field.  His arm was largely average. 

Trask's physical tools are fine. People criticize the arm strength, but it's enough. But I'm still waiting for him to progress to a second read and his release point is inconsistent as hell in his mechanics...he throws high a lot and he uses the middle of the field a lot, which is going to be a problem. I think Kyle will like him, but I think if we take Trask, he could drive Shanny up the wall.  I think he's also going to be a checkdown machine at the next level. I feel like there's a little Jimmy G / Derek Carr there. I'd agree that I think he's more of a day 2 guy but I would not be shocked at all if he goes in the first. 

Jones throws a damn pretty ball, I'll give him that. Especially down the field. He made a throw against Georgia downfield that I loved.  But I feel like he's working with a lot of clean pockets and I don't know how to gauge his processing speeds, recognition under pressure, etc. Nice arm, generally makes the right throw...but with all that time, I'd have major concerns if he didn't lol

29 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

On the flip side, would be nice to sure up our O-line early in the draft and give Jimmy G a chance to stay upright.

We are never going to draft a guard that early. If we are drafting a tackle, it's because Williams is gone, so we aren't going to get improvement there. For that to happen, its Creed Humphrey or bust in my opinion, and we may be happy to keep Richburg on next season if he comes back and shows he can still play this year. 

And honestly, I'm not sure that the offensive line is Jimmy's biggest problem anyway