2021 Draft Thread

John232

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

But that's the thing, Golladay is likely gone anyways. That roster is a mess. I don't know if you want to take a rookie QB this season unless they really like Wilson or Fields and they slip past the top 4.

It may be better to tear it down, accumulate draft picks and then take a QB next season. They will likely be a bottom feeder next year and should end up with a top 3 pick. Taking a QB now with all their needs is not going to end well. 

I will say that they did give Dan Campbell a 6 year deal, I think. We know what happened the first year we gave our guys 6 year deals lol. 40% of the roster turned over in a single year LOL

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I will say that they did give Dan Campbell a 6 year deal, I think. We know what happened the first year we gave our guys 6 year deals lol. 40% of the roster turned over in a single year LOL

A LOT of that roster is going to turn over, more than the usual for every team. And Campbell did get a six year deal, I think they understand this is a long rebuild. Hence why I don't think it is a lock they go QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A LOT of that roster is going to turn over, more than the usual for every team. And Campbell did get a six year deal, I think they understand this is a long rebuild. Hence why I don't think it is a lock they go QB. 

Valid point in context

On 1/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maybe Dan Campbell gives Jameis a call? 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Maybe Dan Campbell gives Jameis a call? 

Campbell wants to eat knee caps and Jameis loves eating Ws. It's a match made in heaven. If they could get Jamarcus Russell to eat everything else they'd be set. 

• Like 4

This is the one that i have a hard time with, I think. I get it...but all reports were that he was pretty brutal in practice. Couldn't even be active for any game this year which is a major concern. I dont' think I'd be interested unless his value full on cratered and I could get him for like the Saleh comp 3rd. I don't think I'm giving up a first or second for Love. 

• Like 5

I'm super bullish on the upside of Brown given his size. I think he has true shutdown LT ability which is hard to find in the middle rounds. He's a guy that I really want to take if he's there iwth our third rounder. 

Hayes is a very interesting guy. Another that I've mostly seen projected in the middle rounds. 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Forge said:

The crappy thing about the Stafford news is that it definitely makes Detroit a lock to take a QB now, I would have to think. So if we don't end up with Stafford, we'd almost certainly have to trade up and take a QB 

If we don't wind up with Stafford, they say Jones or Lance would be great in Shanahans system. I wouldn't mind a DE in the first and grabbing Jones in the second. Or is Jones climbing into the first?

I'm not going to lie though, I would love Stafford in this offense. We would be unstoppable, imo.

Just now, mrscottso said:

If we don't wind up with Stafford, they say Jones or Lance would be great in Shanahans system. I wouldn't mind a DE in the first and grabbing Jones in the second. Or is Jones climbing into the first?

I'm not going to lie though, I would love Stafford in this offense. We would be unstoppable, imo.

I have no interest in Jones, personally. Lance I like, but he's probably sitting a year. He's got scary bust potential too, but I'd risk it for the upside. 

1 hour ago, mrscottso said:

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Jones?

I think a very classic game manager at the next level and I don't think that he was put into real NFL situations a ton. I don't think that he's as accurate as people think he is (though advanced stats like PFF say he's good in that regard...I just don't see it...his ball placement is very Jimmy G esque), and against pressure I'm sort of meh. I don't think that he has any elite physical talents, has absolutely no mobility. I think if he goes late first, early second, that's fine.. I don't love him, but i understand that spot for him. I think he's more of a day two prospect, but I don't have a problem with where he's likely to get drafted. There's a big gap between he and the top 4 for me, but I think he makes sense for teams like NO, Pitt at the back of the first or early second. So much of his stuff is on the back of Smith. Over 30% of his completions, Over 41% of his yards, over 50% of his touchdowns. Thats a huge issue for me. 

I also simply  have no interest in taking a second round QB. It's just a half measure to try and make it look like you're doing something and I dont' think it benefits anyone in this particular instance of where we are as a team. 

• Like 1

A guy I've been keeping my eye on is EDGE, Hamilcar Rashed Jr. out of Oregon State. He had a good weigh in and his measurables are looking pretty good (6'3 254 lbs / 34" arms).

I've been reading up on his profile and it sounds like he has a lighting-fast first step off the edge and more of an athlete than a technician, but could be solid sub-package rusher. If he keeps his athleticism with his new weight, he could be a 2nd or 3rd round guy. I'd love to grab him in the 3rd and put him opposite of Bosa on 3rd downs.

• Like 1

I've been taking a center in every mock draft this year. I know that we won't start a rookie there, but we need to start planning for the future unless we really think that's Brunskill in the middle (which I doubt). Someone like Mack for 1-2 years is okay, but we need to have another plan. Wouldn't even mind having Mack / Garland / day 3 rookie who can play center and guard. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Thats your boy @757-NINER!!

Though why did they post that throw...that throw is seriously not great as it is clearly underthrown, especially when you consider that the receiver lost his footing momentarily 

I literally forgot the Senior Bowl waa still a thing this year.

And yea, I still think Newman could be a Dak-like hit for someone.

That throw was bad though lol..