2021 Draft Thread

John232

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

What is the potential out after 2023 though? Potential out for the player or the team? 

Thats a spotrac thing, not an actual contract thing. They are just identifying the earliest reasonable spot for a team to cut bait with a player by cutting him. 

Just now, Forge said:

Thats a spotrac thing, not an actual contract thing. They are just identifying the earliest reasonable spot for a team to cut bait with a player by cutting him. 

Ah got it, that makes more sense. But yeah, with the cap increasing with the 17 game season, his contract isn't going to be a major problem. And it can be restructured in a few years if need be. Let's say the cap goes to 230M in 2022, Watson is taking around 18% of the cap space. Sure it is more than the 15% limit that everyone always mentions, but it doesn't kill the team or prevent it from still putting together good talent around him. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Nobody should be overly concerned with Watson's contract, to be honest. It's got five years left, which is the same as a rookie deal. Also, the cap hits aren't going to be as bad as people would think if the cap skyrockets as people believe it will in 22/23. Plus, with no proration on our end, we can pretty easily massage the cap hits in certain years. 

Unequivocally, Watson's cap hit would be the least of my concerns in terms of acquiring his services. Great players cost alot of money....duh!

Just some thoughts about the QBs in the draft. I think one of the 4 QBs will be there at 12. Trey Lance is the one that's there but tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Fields drops. Still very early but by the time draft time comes wouldnt surprise me if Trey Lance is drafted ahead of Fields. I'm starting to lean on drafting Lance tho and having him sit behind Jimmy. I just don't see Shanahan starting Lance and will take Mahomes slow approach.

Edited by 49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Just some thoughts about the QBs in the draft. I think one of the 4 QBs will be there at 12. Trey Lance is the one that's there but tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Fields drops. Still very early but by the time draft time comes wouldnt surprise me if Trey Lance is drafted ahead of Fields. I'm starting to lean on drafting Lance tho and having him sit behind Jimmy. I just don't see Shanahan starting Lance and will take Mahomes slow approach.

Pay attention to the guys that we bring in for visits. Historically, this regime has been really big on drafting guys that they bring in for visits. 

Honestly, if Jimmy is still on the roster, I think it's highly unlikely that we draft a QB in the first. I could see us go Mac Jones in the second, but I think that there's a good chance that he's not there, so I'm hoping that will force us to go elsewhere in round 2. Ultimately, I think we will get a guy later in the draft. 

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, if Jimmy is still on the roster, I think it's highly unlikely that we draft a QB in the first. I could see us go Mac Jones in the second, but I think that there's a good chance that he's not there, so I'm hoping that will force us to go elsewhere in round 2. Ultimately, I think we will get a guy later in the draft. 

The reason I don't expect us to move him is because if they can't get Stafford, Watson, Matt Ryan. There not going to cut Jimmy for a player who isn't a improvement. And come april 1st his money is guaranteed. We aren't going to cut him before showing our hand. Tbh wouldn't surprise me Jimmy takes a pay cut. Or maybe it's wishful thinking.

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

The reason I don't expect us to move him is because if they can't get Stafford, Watson, Matt Ryan. There not going to cut Jimmy for a player who isn't a improvement. And come april 1st his money is guaranteed. We aren't going to cut him before showing our hand. Tbh wouldn't surprise me Jimmy takes a pay cut. Or maybe it's wishful thinking.

Pretty sure that he's out of guarantees. Nothing guarantees on 4/1 so far as I know. But I agree that a vet is likely out of the question (I agree that Stafford, Watson, Ryan likely all stay put...as does Wentz, and we can't afford Dak). I don't think that we are going to cut / trade him before the draft and risk missing out on the a QB in the draft either. If we cut or trade him in March, we have something happening with the Jets LOL

Don't think he'll take a cut, but I could see us restructuring his deal. probably add a voidable year or something since we are such big fans of that now (a move I still despise) 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure that he's out of guarantees. Nothing guarantees on 4/1 so far as I know. But I agree that a vet is likely out of the question (I agree that Stafford, Watson, Ryan likely all stay put...as does Wentz, and we can't afford Dak). I don't think that we are going to cut / trade him before the draft and risk missing out on the a QB in the draft either. If we cut or trade him in March, we have something happening with the Jets LOL

Don't think he'll take a cut, but I could see us restructuring his deal. probably add a voidable year or something since we are such big fans of that now (a move I still despise) 

Yeah everytime we are "linked" to an elite player it didn't happen. See Odell and AB so with Watson and any other QB, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I am fully prepared for Jimmy to Return but we select a QB to nip at his heels.

• Like 1

Dream scenario time....we execute a trade up with the Jets for the #2 pick in Mid-March, likely for Zach Wilson. Trade Garapollo as either part of the package or to another team entirely (Pats, Colts)

Jags shock the world and take Fields....Lawrence falls in our laps 

A man can dream...

13 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Dream scenario time....we execute a trade up with the Jets for the #2 pick in Mid-March, likely for Zach Wilson. Trade Garapollo as either part of the package or to another team entirely (Pats, Colts)

Jags shock the world and take Fields....Lawrence falls in our laps 

A man can dream...

Haha, that would definitely be a dream scenario. I think I read somewhere that TL was a big reason that Urban took the job in JAC though. Apparently he's infatuated with him and that was a big draw for him to take that job. On that note, I'm not super impressed with what the Jags have done this offseason in regards to their hires. I think they should have gone hard after Saleh and brought in Peters as their GM. We'll see how Urban does, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fail, although it will be hard with all the draft picks and money they have available to them.  

39 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Such a controlled environment he should look great. What i will say though is he gets a big flat footed before throwing. In most of his highlights you see the same and when there is pressure his first instinct turns into running. If you compare that to a guy like Wilson where he will run is a defense leaves a ton of room his eyes always stay om his receivers and focused on throwing unless there is a big gap for him.

He is an exciting player for sure and if he is there at 12 i wouldn't mind picking him because of what he can be.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 1