2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, mrscottso said:

We have too many holes to fill to trade up. I am wondering if we trade back for more picks. What do you guys think of them taking Kellen Mond in the late rounds? I know nothing about him. Just saw a bunch of mocks with us grabbing him. Then it would be Jimmy, Rosen, and Mond.

I don't think that they can roll into a season with that QB room. That backup situation has a chance to be worse than CJ / Mullens, to be honest. If Jimmy were to get hurt and this team crapped out another terrible year because of the backup situation, this front office and staff would get crucified. If this team is sticking with Jimmy, there will be a borderline competent vet back up in place. Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Mike Glennon, Joe Flacco I would think would be the most likely. We don't have a ton of money, so some of these guys are definitely going to get priced out (Fitz, Dalton). The interesting guy could be Trubisky but I have to imagine someone is going to give him a Mariota deal. 

I'll reiterate my stance on the draft regarding QB - shoot your shot in the first, or just punt the position all together. With Rosen in the fold as a developmental / project 3rd string QB who is cost controlled for 2 years, there is simply no reason to spend a pick on another guy. In the later rounds, I'd rather use those picks on niche players. Give me a Ben Mason at fullback in round 5/6. Give me a Marquez Stevenson who can come in and fill the return game for us. Or Dazz or Smith-Marsette, to name a couple. I also think that we need to add to the running back room given the injury issues. Later round picks are perfect for that given our scheme. We may also wish to double up on a position like edge given the depth of the class, or corner, where we may also find a good special teams player. 

Given some of the team needs and the way Shanny coaches, I think that there are legitimate contributing players we can find day three of this draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I swear that Slater has like the least tackl-ish body ever lol. He's so boxy and fridge like. It's funny. 

Honestly he won't be a tackle on some old school guys boards and for more of a power blocking team he probably won't be a fit either but he has all ticked all the boxes at LT  for Northwestern and if he doesn't make it at OT he is almost surely an amazing OG in just about any scheme. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

According to MM, if we hadn't traded up to get Aiyuk last year, CEH  would have been the pick at 31.

Sometimes, I have no idea what we are doing

Shanny has success with late round picks or UDFAs, yet will always want to pay big bucks for backs or in this case spend a high pick on one. This is why he is his own worst enemy come draft time. It is clear he makes almost all the decisions for offensive players, especially early in the draft. Glad Deebo and Aiyuk worked out but….. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Forge said:

According to MM, if we hadn't traded up to get Aiyuk last year, CEH  would have been the pick at 31.

Sometimes, I have no idea what we are doing

Does this mean running back is a chance in the 2nd I certainly hope not. So many more important holes to plug before rb 

42 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Don't you dare.

The team did offer Bell 4 years 60M while having McKinnon on the roster with his big salary a few years ago. No one may want Jones, but it could be EXACTLY the big move of the offseason for the team. Retaining Trent? For what, when we can pay a RB 15M a year!!!!! 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The team did offer Bell 4 years 60M while having McKinnon on the roster with his big salary a few years ago. No one may want Jones, but it could be EXACTLY the big move of the offseason for the team. Retaining Trent? For what, when we can pay a RB 15M a year!!!!! 

That filthy factsy mouth of yours needs a cleaning. 30 minutes in the corner with soap. You know what you did.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

Does this mean running back is a chance in the 2nd I certainly hope not. So many more important holes to plug before rb 

We haven't had a legitimate receiving back since Kyle has been here.

Kyle loves versatility because it doesn't tip our hand based on formations, personel groupings, etc. So not having a legit 3 down RB has been the missing piece in my eyes 

You can't get legit 3 down running backs late in the draft or without paying for them in FA. Those guys are in demand. Thats why Kyle has stepped up and spent resources on RBs. He knows this, he just hasn't been able to actually hit on someone yet 

I was a HUGE CEH fan coming out. He was my favorite prospect in the entire draft. 

With that being said, I want to prioritize the OL over RB this year. That will make a world of difference for whoever is carrying the ball, but I do want to find a RB who can be our third down back. Think tarik Cohen.