2 more Titans test positive for covid - possible forfeit

3rivers

I haven't read how the forfeit policy is or even if there is one. Is there a chance the titans only play 15 games?  This would make the playoff seed interesting if they have the same # or wins as another team, but 1 less loss - who gets the better record?

I don't see how they can just start calling forfeits at their jurisdiction, as there are so many different scenarios. What if both teams have cases of COVID, or if a game decides who makes it to the playoffs? The only solution I see is to create weeks in which there are no team activities, maybe once every four weeks.

Edited by UncleAdamz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

I don't see how they can just start calling forfeits at their jurisdiction, as there are so many different scenarios. What if both teams have cases of COVID, or if a game decides who makes it to the playoffs? The only solution I see is to create weeks in which there are no team activities, maybe once every four weeks.

it's almost like they should've planned having buffer weeks from the very beginning

• Like 8

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

it's almost like they should've planned having buffer weeks from the very beginning

Someone suggested it earlier - let teams play four weeks at a time (quarters, in essence) and that 5th week is a mandatory bye week for everyone... and a "make-up week" for teams that couldn't get to play all four games that quarter.

I'm sure coaching staffs would actually appreciate going back to the drawing board to retool and re-evaluate their strategy.

• Like 9

A forfeit is the worst decision the NFL can make. 

Why does my team have to play this week if the Bills can get a free win? It ruins the integrity of the game, the season, any win or loss this week.  And like I've said before... this ain't the NBA or MLB.  There aren't going to be 80 games.  Regular season games are too important in the NFL.  That win could give the Bills the upper-hand when it comes to seeding.  This is a terrible decision and I really don't get why so many people are for it.  

On top of that, like someone above said, what is the procedure then?  Technically, the Titans haven't even missed a game yet.  They appropriately rescheduled the Titans/Steelers game in a way that ultimately doesn't not affect the NFL's schedule.  If the Titans forfeit here, then that guarantees there won't be a Week 18 for rescheduled games.  Because you can't go back on this.  From this point forward, ANY team that can't play that week because of an outbreak will be forced to forfeit.  This is just so short-sighted on the NFL's end if a forfeit is seriously being considered.  This decision will ruin the season.

That's the thing too.  This forfeit wouldn't just be an isolated incident.  It couldn't be, because you already set the precedent, something that's never happened in the history of the NFL.  You wouldn't be able to go back on that later this year.  And it could end up seriously screwing up the standings.  All because you didn't plan for Week 18-20 or show a willingness to pause the season.

Like for example what about the Patriots game this week.  If we're going off the Titans trajectory, it is entirely possible the Pats don't make it to the game this week.  Could 2 teams get free wins this week?  That looks so bad.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

While the NFL didn't set up any buffer weeks I assume there were some rules in place as Dan Grazianno mentioned that the NFL is investigating whether or not the titans have had illegal workouts, meaning while the facility was closed a group work out was put in place which could cause further positive tests. If this is the case the league including every teams front office and coaching staff knew the risk of potential forfeit. While it may seem unfair to forfeit a game because of COVID, it should be decided on ill advised advice by having a work out. Now if the league can not prove a work out was done then the game needs to be postponed. It is a bad situation in general because both teams are undefeated and could potentially be a Playoff impact move. I get a forfeit is not something fans want to see including myself who is a Bills fan, yes going 5-0 is something I am hoping for, but do not want to have it that way. We are on here cause we are fans of the game and if there is no game then what fun is it. With that said if it is illegal workout then it should be forfeited. Hear me out before chewing me up after that last statement. I say it should be forfeited if illegal workouts were done because it impacts the Bills season as well. If you make week 18 a postponed make up week for games and the Bills have clinched a playoff spot knowing they aren't playing the Titans in the playoffs round 1 then that means their opponent now has an extra week to prepare and practice not to mention the possibility of an injury. Overall it is a bad situation and yes a buffer would have been nice and still a possibility but that means the NFL Execs have to pass it to the Owners to see if this is what they want, then they have to pass it to the NFLPA to see if the players want to extend their season that much longer so at this point in the season as easy as we think it could be, politics gets in the way and can take forever, just remember how long it took to get rid of pre-season and that had months to decide. From the beginning I said to put the non-conference games at the end of the season just so they could be cancelled to make up for issues such as this as those games mean less then in conference issues. There could have been ways around this but as people mention it wasn't fully taken in and I do not think the NFL expected this to happen with all the precautions that were made. 

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

That's the thing too.  This forfeit wouldn't just be an isolated incident.  It couldn't be, because you already set the precedent, something that's never happened in the history of the NFL. 

This is the toughest thing. As a Titans fan, I’d rather forfeit than get forced to play Sunday after two weeks off without a single day of practice. But a forfeit absolutely sets a dangerous precedent.

Because, sure, it’s a Week 5 game between two mid-market teams and maybe you can get away with it without too much backlash. But just wait until you get a late season game with a division on the line and you have 4 or 5 cases and one team doesn’t get to practice leading up to it.

29 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

While the NFL didn't set up any buffer weeks I assume there were some rules in place as Dan Grazianno mentioned that the NFL is investigating whether or not the titans have had illegal workouts, meaning while the facility was closed a group work out was put in place which could cause further positive tests. If this is the case the league including every teams front office and coaching staff knew the risk of potential forfeit. While it may seem unfair to forfeit a game because of COVID, it should be decided on ill advised advice by having a work out. Now if the league can not prove a work out was done then the game needs to be postponed. It is a bad situation in general because both teams are undefeated and could potentially be a Playoff impact move. I get a forfeit is not something fans want to see including myself who is a Bills fan, yes going 5-0 is something I am hoping for, but do not want to have it that way. We are on here cause we are fans of the game and if there is no game then what fun is it. With that said if it is illegal workout then it should be forfeited. Hear me out before chewing me up after that last statement. I say it should be forfeited if illegal workouts were done because it impacts the Bills season as well. If you make week 18 a postponed make up week for games and the Bills have clinched a playoff spot knowing they aren't playing the Titans in the playoffs round 1 then that means their opponent now has an extra week to prepare and practice not to mention the possibility of an injury. Overall it is a bad situation and yes a buffer would have been nice and still a possibility but that means the NFL Execs have to pass it to the Owners to see if this is what they want, then they have to pass it to the NFLPA to see if the players want to extend their season that much longer so at this point in the season as easy as we think it could be, politics gets in the way and can take forever, just remember how long it took to get rid of pre-season and that had months to decide. From the beginning I said to put the non-conference games at the end of the season just so they could be cancelled to make up for issues such as this as those games mean less then in conference issues. There could have been ways around this but as people mention it wasn't fully taken in and I do not think the NFL expected this to happen with all the precautions that were made. 

I hope you didn't actually expect anyone to read this.

• Like 3

I think it's tough to just blanket blame the team or players. 

They have kids that are going to school. (Staff and players).  Some of those schools aren't forcing masks.  The perception is that the Titans are just out there wildin in the streets or being reckless, when for months we know that hasn't been the case. 

I think forcing a loss is the wrong move.  Rather them make them play and if they get mollywhooped, so be it. No sympathy. They played the game.  
I think it's weak to force a loss, especially if no wrong doing was done. 
The virus is tricky. No telling how they got it. 

If they do force a loss, then they should force a loss to every team that gets a positive tests. As we are seeing there is a incubation period that tests won't catch. Gilmore tested positive just a few days ago, now here we are. There is likely a 99% chance someone else on the Patriots tests positive. 

I think the only way for the NFL to avoid delays is to treat this thing like high schools are doing. Not testing, which I personally thing is irresponsible. But unless you show symptoms then you play. 

All that to say, I'm starting not to care what the NFL does. I get other fan bases want to point blame and want losses or whatever, because it's not their city or team. If the NFL does that, I think that will be my point to check out for the year, because nothing going forward will matter or even be close to fair/balanced. 

I wouldn't want a win awarded to my team, because it makes less special.  Again, if you whip them on the field and they shorthanded, I can accept that more because players played. This ain't Madden, I dont want any simmed victories/losses.  lol

• Like 1