Dolphins name Tua starting QB

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

The thing is, you know Fitzpatrick is gonna implode. It’s inevitable.  He’s literally done it every time.

Better to do it now than wait for the inevitable.  Especially if you think Tua is ready.

Yeah, if history is any indication, that's probably true. And no doubt Tua is the future. However, the timing of this is just completely off, IMO. We'll see how it turns out, but I have my doubts at the moment that this is the right decision.

2 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

I don’t think Flores does this if Tua looks like a deer in the headlights at the end of the game. He must be looking good in camp too. Giving him 2 weeks to prepare now is a logical decision. 

I mean if he looked like a complete disaster, no. But it's hard to believe anyone would put too much stock in two passing attempts one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Obviously if that's true, you have to deal Fitz for a 2nd.  A 3rd would be really hard to turn down as well.  

I have no illusions that Fitz is very limited.   But what he does well, it can work for extended stretches.   The combo of MIA having 3-4 actual players who can beat their guys (Parker, Gesicki, Gaskin <more a pass game asset IMO>, and while he's not 100 percent post-ACL, Preston Williams as a #3 option works fine), and Fitz's willingness to be decisive and quick in his decision making, helps the MIA OL deficiencies lessen.   

Thing is, a guy like that clearly would work in some situations, for short periods of time - like, say, Dallas.    Fitz does exactly what Dalton doesn't - commit early, and let the WR's win.    He's not a long-term solution - so in the offseason, no team is willing to pay even a Day 3 pick.  But here's the thing - it's not the offseason.   There are no other available QB's.   And there are 2-3 teams where they are still in playoff contention, and yet QB is their biggest problem.  It only takes 1 team to say "screw it, I'm going for it" - to overpay.    Sam Bradford for a 1st, Mohammed Sanu for a 2nd, and to lesser extents, D-Thomas for a 4th, are all examples of huge overpays because of limited options.

On the other hand, a Day 3 pick does nothing for MIA's future development, now that their talent pool has been restocked (unlike 2 years ago, where they had nothing).   So it's not worth dealing Fitz, especially since with Covid-19 and injuries in general, that backup is ultra-important - just look at NE & DEN to see what happens.   So yeah, I still see a Day 2 pick as a very viable scenario - but also the only scenario where Fitz leaves (and likely where a backup comes back to MIA, too).  A day 3 pick isn't really worth it.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean if he looked like a complete disaster, no. But it's hard to believe anyone would put too much stock in two passing attempts one way or the other.

They said they were impressed with how he read the CB blitz and got it away for a completion, and then threw an accurate pass for our only 3rd down conversion of the day against a blitz. But I’d have to assume it’s mostly because he’s been impressive in practice and it’s been held under wraps. 

Edited by Lilseb93

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Personally I would have waited for next year. Give Tua a full year to recover from his injury. Learn under a veteran QB a la the Aaron Rodgers route. Give him (hopefully) a full off season and preseason to get him ready for the season.

"Well we're just doing exactly what the Ravens did with Lamar"

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Personally I would have waited for next year. Give Tua a full year to recover from his injury. Learn under a veteran QB a la the Aaron Rodgers route. Give him (hopefully) a full off season and preseason to get him ready for the season.

I understand this sentiment, but the AFCE, 6th Seed, and 7th Seed in the AFC are all WIDE open at the moment. And if you don't think the Dolphins are a solid team, you haven't watched them play. They have been in just about every single game this year. Both their Offense and Defense look good... and their Offense was limited by Fitzpatrick.

Miami has the #12 OL according to PFF, Gaskin looks very very solid this year, Davante Parker looks very solid, Gesicki looks very solid, and their Defense has been clowning fools lately.

They have a serious shot to get 9 wins. And even a decent shot to get 10 wins.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I understand this sentiment, but the AFCE, 6th Seed, and 7th Seed in the AFC are all WIDE open at the moment. And if you don't think the Dolphins are a solid team, you haven't watched them play. They have been in just about every single game this year. Both their Offense and Defense look good... and their Offense was limited by Fitzpatrick.

Miami has the #12 OL according to PFF, Gaskin looks very very solid this year, Davante Parker looks very solid, Gesicki looks very solid, and their Defense has been clowning fools lately.

They have a serious shot to get 9 wins. And even a decent shot to get 10 wins.

Yeah I guess it just comes down to whether or not you think Tua gives you a better shot to win this year than Fitz does. I personally don't, but time will tell. I thought this move was a "we don't care about this season so we're gonna get Tua reps and whatever happens happens"