Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I just think it's pretty interesting that our offensive production and W/L are pretty closely correlated to Nelly's usage. In games that we relied on him heavily our offense wasn't nearly as productive and we were 1-6. In games that we didn't we averaged almost 7 more ppg and were 7-2. 

I didn't read too much into it. I think he definitely benefited from playing with Carr, Ruggs, and Waller. I wish him the best, but he really could have carved out a nice career here. That being said, Edwards could be an absolute stud waiting in the wings and he played well vs Denver. I think if he becomes a find, we won't miss Nelly much, especially at 11+ per year.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I just think it's pretty interesting that our offensive production and W/L are pretty closely correlated to Nelly's usage. In games that we relied on him heavily our offense wasn't nearly as productive and we were 1-6. In games that we didn't we averaged almost 7 more ppg and were 7-2. 

Would be interesting to see how the run game and Jacobs success correlates to the W/L. I think that is more telling.

I would guess that in games where we needed to air it out and run after the score, we lost a lot and Nelly had good games.

When we could control the clock, we could run the ball and use Waller and Renfrow as chain movers we were winning.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I don't think it's ludicrous that John Brown has a good year here. I think Renfrow may suffer from his presence a little bit. Which is fine. I think Renfrow is an A+ situational player, but rotating in players who are dangerous on 1st/2nd down in terms of speed could be really good.

Brown/Ruggs/Edwards off of play action would be excellent. Especially with Waller looming.

In a way, I almost hope he does for his own sake.

Renfrow is an absolute weapon on 3rd downs and hasn't been bad as a return guy.

But he's someone I want touch limited. He's taken some huge hits for his size, and I'd like to see his career go longer than just a few years. When he got KO'd on that return last year, I about vomited for him. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

But he's someone I want touch limited. He's taken some huge hits for his size, and I'd like to see his career go longer than just a few years. When he got KO'd on that return last year, I about vomited for him. 

The Refs do absolute 0 to protect him, players cheap shot him all the time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd like to see Ruggs used out of the slot more this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

It's not very telling. His best game was vs Mia where it could have easily been a W. The majority of his production came in the 1st half of games so it's not overly inflated stats in garbage time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AghoNe00/splits/2020/

I just think it's interesting that in the games Agholor was targeted a lot we were 1-6 (should've been 0-8 but the Jets gave us the game) and in the games where he wasn't targeted often we were 6-2 and our offense scored more. 

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Seems like a more natural spot to use him  if we're being honest. 

Agreed. Lining him up in the slot would also get him favorable matchups against LB's, safety's, and slot corners. Hopefully we add another big bodied outside WR in the middle rounds. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Lining him up in the slot would also get him favorable matchups against LB's, safety's, and slot corners. Hopefully we add another big bodied outside WR in the middle rounds. 

Heck, just install some plays with Waller split out wide with Brown/Edwards and put Moreau at TE and slide Ruggs into the slot.

I'd like to add another bigger body as well, but we've got the personnel to make it happen if we can be at all creative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Heck, just install some plays with Waller split out wide with Brown/Edwards and put Moreau at TE and slide Ruggs into the slot.

I'd like to add another bigger body as well, but we've got the personnel to make it happen if we can be at all creative.

If the defense goes to the nickel or dime you run the ball with double TE. I thought this would be our base offense last year.

while Ruggs should see some more plays from the slot (the raiders in the Gruden era have loved having deep routes out of the slot... whether it was Amari or more recently, Agholor), i dont think thats the end all be all. he also just needs a more diverse route tree. he did so much damage in alabama running slants. barely remember any slants to him this season

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

while Ruggs should see some more plays from the slot (the raiders in the Gruden era have loved having deep routes out of the slot... whether it was Amari or more recently, Agholor), i dont think thats the end all be all. he also just needs a more diverse route tree. he did so much damage in alabama running slants. barely remember any slants to him this season

I remember them all saying his cuts were lazy.  They need to be sharper in order for slants to work at the NFL level.  Can't rely on just his speed.