Ravens/Steelers postponed till Tuesday now

MikeT14

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

^ FYI for those comparing this situation to others. Those players are NOT coming back by Sunday or even next week. 

Starting center, backup center, starting running back, backup running back... yea, there is no case to be made that Lamar shouldn't be considered a close contact.

That's not true... The latter five could all be false positives. 

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

That's a bit extreme... and I'm certain virtually every player would be angered at this.

Obviously there's risk involved playing football but the players in the league have been playing the sport out of love most of their lives, and even without the NFL, the sport is popular enough that many would still be playing/watching it even if there were no NFL.

This is a tricky issue. The NFL needs to make the game as safe as it can for players while compensating them fairly for said, without changing what the game is fundamentally if they wish the game to survive the century.

Not just the NFL, but you could say that about a lot of occupations; aviation, railroad, construction, etc. Some things are inherently more dangerous but some "need" to be done and they can also be enjoyable jobs.

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

wut? Those 7 still wont play sunday... so if that's why you dont like this decision than you need to rethink your position. 

Then why postpone it?

Sign street free agents if you need to. Just because a few KEY players are out, the NFL kisses the Ravens' butt.  That sentiment is not across the board - so put your big boy pants on Ravens and play with whoever can play.

6 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

So you are ok with screwing over the Ravens for testing mishaps? 

Kind of like the 49ers? Have you not been following the whole topic or are you just posting haphazardly? If it were the former you'd know my stance on this has been steadfast. I'm all for player safety... But I'm all for consistency. Whether or not this game is played on Thursday or Friday is inconsequential to me because Steelers football is something that has largely become an afterthought in the grand scheme of life for me over the last 3 years. That said, I'm still not going to bypass the opportunity to call the NFL out on it's thinly veiled attempt to argue "player safety" here.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

It should be on late Monday afternoon so it can stay part of the SNF package (like when KC-BUF was moved to a Monday earlier this season, remaining part of the TNF package)

It's still part of the NBC Package. The NFL will be airing 3 games on 3 stations at 01:00 this Sunday.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

It's still part of the NBC Package. The NFL will be airing 3 games on 3 stations at 01:00 this Sunday.

NBC has not aired a regular season Sunday Afternoon game since 1997. If that is indeed the case, NBC should use the theme they used for the NFL in 1997 for the game.

• Like 1

In a world where it is possible to be upset about a situation but also fully understand and respect the gravity of it too...

I know, crazy. Pretty obvious the Steelers can either not believe in COVID-19 impact on the world or be mad about missing a second planned chance for family and rest. Someday I hope we as a society can develop the ability to do both. Someday. 

• Like 1

Look it feels stupid to even entertain this conversation because it feels like it should be besides the point, but since there seems to be this desperate attempt to turn a COVID-19 outbreak on the Ravens into some grand conspiracy against the Steelers, it's worth pointing out that if we were looking at this just from a competitive standpoint and not thinking about the health risks, it'd arguably be better for the Ravens to play tomorrow than it would be to play Sunday, and they are going to be more directly 'disadvantaged' by the shift to Sunday. The extra 3 days of prep aren't likely to mean much for us considering the training facility is likely to stay closed all week. And whether some of the close-contact players get cleared or not, we are going to end up being down at a minimum approximately 15% of our roster on Sunday, including half our backfield and offensive line. But the knock-on effect of moving this game to Sunday is that we'll end up then playing Dallas next Thursday on 3 days rest while they'll have had a full week to prepare. 

Given the Dallas game is pretty much a must-win for us, if we were to just say screw it to the health risks, it'd probably be preferable to get the Pittsburgh game out of the way tomorrow, take the L that is likely coming either way considering how short-handed we'll be, and then have closer to equal footing and prep to get ready for the Cowboys game. But it'd be so self-evidently stupid to play tomorrow when there have been positive tests every day this week and we genuinely can't say how many players on the Ravens have COVID or not - I can't even begin to think in those terms and it seems insane to me that this has morphed into some stupid little conspiracy theory about the league being against the Pittsburgh Steelers of all franchises. 

I guess you could say that it's the Ravens' 'fault' for getting infected so boohoo, but considering we're in the middle of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC that seems to be sort of a strange concept to me, unless of course it comes out that like JK Dobbins had a massive team orgy at his house last week or something. The actual 'safe' way to do this is to not have a season. For the most part everything beyond that as it relates to the NFL's safety measures is just sanitation theater, so if we want football to keep going honestly the least people could do is not throw a fit every time slight scheduling changes have to be made. I get that it sucks that it's happening to the Steelers again but for the love of God have some perspective and realize that it's a lot smaller of a sacrifice than most ppl are making on a daily basis right now. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

In a world where it is possible to be upset about a situation but also fully understand and respect the gravity of it too...

I know, crazy. Pretty obvious the Steelers can either not believe in COVID-19 impact on the world or be mad about missing a second planned chance for family and rest. Someday I hope we as a society can develop the ability to do both. Someday. 

Critical thought on Football's Future? How long have you been posting here? It's all or nothing big fella!

44 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Then why postpone it?

Sign street free agents if you need to. Just because a few KEY players are out, the NFL kisses the Ravens' butt.  That sentiment is not across the board - so put your big boy pants on Ravens and play with whoever can play.

You do realize that with 7 confirmed positives already, there is a strong possibility that more are infected, but haven't tested positive yet?  It can take up to 14 days, no?  

• Like 1