2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Now Trufant is a  guy that i could see taking a super low 1 year deal similar to Rhodes last year. That defense in Detroit was a trainwreck...I'd guess that he was probably better than his actual results. He'd be a guy that I would potentially look at bringing in if you can do the 1 year, 2 million type deal I was talking about earlier in my way to do the season without restructuring Jimmy 

And our new DB coach was Detroit's defensive coordinator last year, so there's a connection as well

Edited by 49ersfan

https://art19.com/shows/49ers-talk

In Maiocco's podcast (link above), he says when Chris Simms talks about QB's that Maiocco's "eyes light up & ears perk up" because he knows Shanny, the long hours they spend together discussing stuff, etc. 

Notes that Simms believes that there's one available veteran QB out there that could make the niners change their plan. That veteran QB? 

Sam Darnold

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

And our new DB coach was Detroit's defensive coordinator last year, so there's a connection as well

Haha, maybe that doesn’t work in our favor. He’ll probably want to distance himself from anything Detroit.

So OTC has updated our cap space from 13 to 23 million based on a 180.5M cap. Thats pretty big. Seems to be some confusion on what's going on there, but that would be a huge boon. 23 is closer to what I thought we were going to have about 3 months ago, but when OTC rolled over to the new year, it reduced down to 13. 

Word is that we had about 13 million in roll over. 

Just now, Forge said:

So OTC has updated our cap space from 13 to 23 million based on a 180.5M cap. Thats pretty big. Seems to be some confusion on what's going on there, but that would be a huge boon. 23 is closer to what I thought we were going to have about 3 months ago, but when OTC rolled over to the new year, it reduced down to 13. 

Word is that we had about 13 million in roll over. 

Did we really have that much rolled over when we couldn't even sign certain players during the season due to cap reasons? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did we really have that much rolled over when we couldn't even sign certain players during the season due to cap reasons? 

That's what Akash was questioning as well. The thought was that we had < 1M, but at one point a few weeks ago, OTC had us at like 22-23 million in space like they do now. It was just a couple of weeks ago that it dropped to 13 for some reason. The thing I keep going back to was the Kwon trade. Because we traded him after 6/1, his dead cap got split between this year and last year (we are carrying like 7 million in a dead hit for Kwon this year). I'm wondering how much the difference was in his cap hit last year and the dead money hit. I know it wasn't 13 because of the restructure, but it definitely had to save us some money. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's what Akash was questioning as well. The thought was that we had < 1M, but at one point a few weeks ago, OTC had us at like 22-23 million in space like they do now. It was just a couple of weeks ago that it dropped to 13 for some reason. The thing I keep going back to was the Kwon trade. Because we traded him after 6/1, his dead cap got split between this year and last year (we are carrying like 7 million in a dead hit for Kwon this year). I'm wondering how much the difference was in his cap hit last year and the dead money hit. I know it wasn't 13 because of the restructure, but it definitely had to save us some money. 

So if we have 23M plus we can add some more with the release of Richburg and possibly others, that allows us to pretty much bring back everyone or close to everyone they want, right? 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So if we have 23M plus we can add some more with the release of Richburg and possibly others, that allows us to pretty much bring back everyone or close to everyone they want, right? 

Theoretically, just about everyone. Still have to account for rookies which is about 9, leaves us 14.

The question would largely stem from the Trent structure

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Theoretically, just about everyone. Still have to account for rookies which is about 9, leaves us 14.

The question would largely stem from the Trent structure

Yeah, they will definitely try to give him a big guarantee up front and then put bigger cap hits on the latter years. But then the deal will end up being like a five year deal instead of a three or four year deal. I'm fine with it really though. Williams is a cyborg type of athlete and he's going to be able to play at an high level for pretty much as long as he wants. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, they will definitely try to give him a big guarantee up front and then put bigger cap hits on the latter years. But then the deal will end up being like a five year deal instead of a three or four year deal. I'm fine with it really though. Williams is a cyborg type of athlete and he's going to be able to play at an high level for pretty much as long as he wants. 

Lombardi made it seem like the 9er brass was unwilling to go super duper long term though, and thats my concern

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Please let it be at least somewhat cap-friendly......?

I don't think that is going to be the case at all. Any team that signs him may back load it, but he's going to make teams pay through the nose.