2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 hour ago, N4L said:

You can designate two players cut before June 1 as post June 1 cuts. So whether or not we cut him before June 1 will have to do with who else we plan on cutting. 

I believe the idea with this rule is to allow free agents to find new homes before the draft, rather than so late into the off-season, while allowing teams to maneuver the cap 

So, we can designate two players as post-june 1st cuts and get the cap relief immediately?

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yes, exactly. 

From most of what i read about it the cap relief only kicks in on June 1st too. Only thing it prevents is guarantees that would kick in between the league year starting and june 1st from becoming guaranteed.

12 hours ago, Justone2 said:

From most of what i read about it the cap relief only kicks in on June 1st too. Only thing it prevents is guarantees that would kick in between the league year starting and june 1st from becoming guaranteed.

This is an interesting point that I would like clarity on. maybe someone else knows lol

You are releasing a player who should save you 3.4m on the cap if you eat all the dead space at once - cap hit in 2021 would be 11.8m as it sits before we cut him and 8.4m would be the dead space if we ate it all in one year

So right away there should be some savings (3.4m) immediately upon release. Then june 1 comes around and we gain the additional 4.2m back from splitting the dead money in half and allocating it to 21 and 22. 

Seems weird that they would go through all that trouble to have to wait until June to actually get the full savings, even though you already designated them as post june 1. What happens if you wanted to retroactively make someone post june 1 because you needed some space? 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

This is an interesting point that I would like clarity on. maybe someone else knows lol

You are releasing a player who should save you 3.4m on the cap if you eat all the dead space at once - cap hit in 2021 would be 11.8m as it sits before we cut him and 8.4m would be the dead space if we ate it all in one year

So right away there should be some savings (3.4m) immediately upon release. Then june 1 comes around and we gain the additional 4.2m back from splitting the dead money in half and allocating it to 21 and 22. 

Seems weird that they would go through all that trouble to have to wait until June to actually get the full savings, even though you already designated them as post june 1. What happens if you wanted to retroactively make someone post june 1 because you needed some space? 

Pretty extensive article from 2013 so could be changed a little here and there.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Tate got released yesterday by the Giants. I mean might as well sign another YAC monster LOL. 

Interested in seeing how much he signs for this offseason. Can't imagine any team gives him more than 5-6M.

Adding Tate to the WR group would be great on a few levels. I think he still has some juice left and he would be a WR #3 or #4 depending on if Bourne comes back and if Hurd stays healthy.

I think he could provide that veteran presence to our young WR's, especially since his game is very much what we want to mold our WR group around.

I am also sure he would love the chance to go against his former team twice a year.

I am all for it if he comes cheap.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Tate got released yesterday by the Giants. I mean might as well sign another YAC monster LOL. 

Interested in seeing how much he signs for this offseason. Can't imagine any team gives him more than 5-6M.

I thought about it yesterday when he got cut. I like the idea of going after him, but Giants fans say that he can't separate any more, which is an issue that worries me.  I'd imagine that we would have to give him a slightly longer deal as well to lower the cap hit (2-3 years). 

But I like the idea of having a wr3 that can step into a wr2 role when Deebo is hurting. That is something Bourne can't do well. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I thought about it yesterday when he got cut. I like the idea of going after him, but Giants fans say that he can't separate any more, which is an issue that worries me.  I'd imagine that we would have to give him a slightly longer deal as well to lower the cap hit (2-3 years). 

But I like the idea of having a wr3 that can step into a wr2 role when Deebo is hurting. That is something Bourne can't do well. 

I mean Tate's best trait was never separating. Dude is just a force after the catch. He would be able to do some things in this office and can play out of the slot. Lesser version of Deebo. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Tate's best trait was never separating. Dude is just a force after the catch. He would be able to do some things in this office and can play out of the slot. Lesser version of Deebo. 

You underrate his wiggle coming in and out of breaks. He could never separate vertically all that well, but he could create space underneath. I Think Giants fans are suggesting he can't do that any more. They are basically saying he's burnt. 

Now Trufant is a  guy that i could see taking a super low 1 year deal similar to Rhodes last year. That defense in Detroit was a trainwreck...I'd guess that he was probably better than his actual results. He'd be a guy that I would potentially look at bringing in if you can do the 1 year, 2 million type deal I was talking about earlier in my way to do the season without restructuring Jimmy