2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear it's the coaches who held him back.

This does not mesh for me based on Kyle has said and done in the past. If Jimmy could play, he's expected to play, regardless of the team situation. He made a big point of it when kittle came back

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but lombardi is lombardi. Kind of puts a damper on the entire thing.  It's like being endorsed by jlc

IDK his past, but i give the report credence RE: Darnold (Watson is a no brainer) cuz of his relationship with Kyle & being the second person to say that. 

I wish the Texans would just smarten up and trade Watson, even if nots to us. Feels like teams are in a holding pattern waiting for that move to happen. That'll be the first big domino to fall.

Edited by 49ersfan

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

This does not mesh for me based on Kyle has said and done in the past. If Jimmy could play, he's expected to play, regardless of the team situation. He made a big point of it when kittle came back

I shouldn't have said they held him back. I think there wasn't much need to hold him back, because he just wasn't healthy enough. But in any case, I'm just doubting the notion that had he been able to play, Jimmy would have opted not to. It's often the coaching staff who has the hard job of saving the players from themselves, and it it had come to that point, Kyle would have been more prudent than Jimmy would have about playing, after Jimmy returned too early and reinjured himself earlier in the year. Usually, athletes are pretty vocal when they're getting healthier and nearing a comeback. We didn't hear anything from Jimmy.

If anything, maybe Kyle and John were already looking ahead for 2021, and figured a Jimmy who doesn't play in week 17 and risks injury has more potential value in a trade, or in a worst case scenario, is a better player in 2021 if he's still our starter. You can't hold back a George Kittle, who is this team's spirit animal. But you can hold back the guy who could have a certain value and perhaps doesn't figure in your long term plans.

3 hours ago, John232 said:

49ers would be idiotic not to do Jimmy G for Gilmore as 46. You have the ammo, Move up and get fields of just go with lance at 12 at that point.

They could go up and get those two without trading for #46. It just comes down to if Shanny wants one of them. Easy to get a trade done for one of those two. And honestly, there's a chance both fall to #12 so a trade may not even be necessary. 

I don't see it with Darnold. If Shanahan WAS interested in Darnold, then he wouldn't tell Simms to put it out like that. Remember, Simms knew about Shanny's love for Aiyuk and said he tried to intentionally keep it quiet on that front. 

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't see it with Darnold. If Shanahan WAS interested in Darnold, then he wouldn't tell Simms to put it out like that. Remember, Simms knew about Shanny's love for Aiyuk and said he tried to intentionally keep it quiet on that front. 

I don't get it either. Such a popular take though. Kyle and John are really going to have to be willing to embrace the transition year and with 3 losing seasons in 4 years, I don't see them doing that

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145077-former-convinced-kyle-shanahan-49ers-remain-interested-these/

Significant for two reasons. One, Lombardi is the second analyst (the other being Chris Simms) to state that the Niners are interested in Sam Darnold. Two, like Simms, Lombardi has a personal relationship with Shanahan (the two worked together in 2014 with the Browns). 

Watson is of course a no brainer to try to acquire, but i think the bidding war will price us out. 

If we can trade Jimmy for 46 & Gilmore (as rumoured) & trade 42 for Darnold, than that basically a 4 pick drop to get a cheaper younger QB & an upgrade at CB. Sign Darnold to a 1 year extension to keep him under contract for 2 years, and see how he does. 

That’d be terrible value for us. Idk why everyone values Darnold so highly at this point. I’d be comfortable throwing a 5th out there for him, but I wouldn’t feel great about anything higher than that. 

Just now, GW21 said:

That’d be terrible value for us. Idk why everyone values Darnold so highly at this point. I’d be comfortable throwing a 5th out there for him, but I wouldn’t feel great about anything higher than that. 

I'd do a conditional pick because I think that's fair both ways. If someone wants value on what darnold could be, then it has to be conditional. If you want value on what he is, that's a day 3 pick for sure

Just now, Forge said:

I'd do a conditional pick because I think that's fair both ways. If someone wants value on what darnold could be, then it has to be conditional. If you want value on what he is, that's a day 3 pick for sure

Depending on the condition I would be ok with it. If it just PT then I’d probably shy away from that because if we made a move like that we’d probably just ride it out with him regardless. If it was conditional on him making a pro bowl or us making the playoffs then I’d probably be game. 

Just now, GW21 said:

Depending on the condition I would be ok with it. If it just PT then I’d probably shy away from that because if we made a move like that we’d probably just ride it out with him regardless. If it was conditional on him making a pro bowl or us making the playoffs then I’d probably be game. 

I'd make it performance based (team or individual) for sure

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't get it either. Such a popular take though. Kyle and John are really going to have to be willing to embrace the transition year and with 3 losing seasons in 4 years, I don't see them doing that

And the funny part about people saying Darnold would fit Shanny's system well? Um, aren't the Jets going to presumably run a similar offense to ours? So why wouldn't they just keep Darnold as the starter instead of drafting someone like Wilson? 

Also, they would have been more in the Strafford sweepstakes if they wanted to get rid of Jimmy so badly. It's still Watson or sticking with Jimmy. Would be VERY surprised if they go another route. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/07/nfl-draft-primer-quarterbacks-fmia-peter-king/

No team in the next 14 months has a better draft situation than the Jets. Currently, they own a decent piece of quarterback real estate in Sam Darnold. He’s worth, at least, a high second-round pick in this draft—39th overall to Carolina, maybe, or 40th to Denver, or 43rd to San Francisco. (The 49ers are my personal favorite.)

3rd reporter in the last week to add his take on the Niners-Darnold....

Edited by 49ersfan