2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Wilson was a pretty big whiff. I know it was a late first but to not even last a full year with them is bad. Numerous issues with maturity and he barely sniffed the field. That's a AJ Jenkins type of personnel blunder.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Freds dad posted this but I feel like his extension will be announced soon. Could be nothing as well.

I doubt the extension gets done before the draft. The only time sensitivity would likely be to have it done before the season, similar to kittle last year

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I doubt the extension gets done before the draft. The only time sensitivity would likely be to have it done before the season, similar to kittle last year

I agree 100%. Warner's deal will be the last move of the off-season once all the other deals get inked and we know how to structure it 

Plus, @Justone2 was saying that you don't get the cap relief of post June 1 cuts until after June 1, so if that's the case we are probably going to wait until June to ink the deal 

I took that post to mean that Warner isn't done improving and that Fred sr believes the best is yet to come 

He's not going anywhere 

33 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If we move on from Jimmy, then these are the types of guys this team needs to bring in. Completely bolster the OL and take advantage of a rookie QB on a rookie deal.

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/scouting-notebook-sneak-peek-49ers

What do you guys think? Are we a desperate disaster of a franchise as Matt Miller suggests?

2017 - Completely whiffed on the first round. 

2018- McGlinchey, minus last year has been exactly what most expected.

2019 - Bosa is a game changer but did miss last season.

2020 - L-O-L at Miller trying to use the lack of sacks to take shots at Kinlaw. And Aiyuk injured? I mean he did miss the last two games for injury, but he just tried to put that out there since he looks like a stud.

Overall, the 2017 first round was a big miss, no other way around it. They have done just fine otherwise. I know a lot of people are down on McGlinchey, but Shanahan rates run blocking higher than pass blocking it seems like and McGlinchey is giving him what he wants. If he was just worried about pass protection, he would have never traded away Brown. The offense is about the QB making quick decisions in the passing game and then having OL that can get out in space and block. 

Miller is being Miller here. Brought up some good points but tried to create a narrative here. Let's wait until after free agency, but once again this roster will be one of the best in football. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Isn't Miller the guy who came out with the hit piece based off a former disgruntled scout on the Niners FO just before the 2019 season?

Yup, and got burnt for it. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we move on from Jimmy, then these are the types of guys this team needs to bring in. Completely bolster the OL and take advantage of a rookie QB on a rookie deal.

2017 - Completely whiffed on the first round. 

2018- McGlinchey, minus last year has been exactly what most expected.

2019 - Bosa is a game changer but did miss last season.

2020 - L-O-L at Miller trying to use the lack of sacks to take shots at Kinlaw. And Aiyuk injured? I mean he did miss the last two games for injury, but he just tried to put that out there since he looks like a stud.

Overall, the 2017 first round was a big miss, no other way around it. They have done just fine otherwise. I know a lot of people are down on McGlinchey, but Shanahan rates run blocking higher than pass blocking it seems like and McGlinchey is giving him what he wants. If he was just worried about pass protection, he would have never traded away Brown. The offense is about the QB making quick decisions in the passing game and then having OL that can get out in space and block. 

Miller is being Miller here. Brought up some good points but tried to create a narrative here. Let's wait until after free agency, but once again this roster will be one of the best in football. 

His stance on all of this is weird, even for him. Ever since the Niners got Bosa, he was in love with it. Now, he needs subscribers, so Bosa is good not great and Aiyuk is just an injured WR. I'm sure him being out on his own now, he needs to push some click-baity stuff to get attention. 

2017 - Thomas was miscasted since the beginning and I still remember he started out as a 2nd-round pick before jumping to top 5 seemingly overnight. With Foster, I have not issues whatsoever with the trade up and pick. You have to gamble sometimes for big payoffs and Foster could've been a huge payoff. In hindsight, it sucks that the front office was repeatedly lied to about Foster from the entire Alabama coaching staff and team, including Saban. 

2018 - We drafted an elite run-blocking RT that struggles in the passing game. That's still true today, 4 years later, which is a problem for our pass protection. I liked the pick then and I still like McGlinchey, but this is absolutely a make-or-break year for him.

2019 - I remember Miller saying that the 49ers shouldn't get cute here. Take the all-pro talent and be happy with it. Well, we did, and we are. Yet, he now hates it?

2020 - A developmental DT with all the tools to excel and a potential star WR who quietly posted one of the best rookie WR seasons in recent history. 

Of course, all of that pales in comparison to all of the mid-to-late-round gems and the UDFA pickups that this FO has collected.

Being able to let guys like Sherman, Tartt, Hyder, and Jones amongst others walk and still field a competitive team because of the cheap depth they've acquired and cultivated is a true testament of a good FO and coaching staff. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Could see this for sure. Jones is going to be able to step in from day one and be productive. He has a ceiling compared to other QBs in the draft but he's certainly better than some think. 

I'm going to laugh when there's all this talk on switching quarterbacks due to injury and whomever we get ends up hurt next year

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/scouting-notebook-sneak-peek-49ers

What do you guys think? Are we a desperate disaster of a franchise as Matt Miller suggests?

I don't know about desperate disaster, but this regime's tenure has been very weird. I mean, high picks and and free agency have been a dumpster fire. This team has been pretty bad in those regards, especially since I'm not really going to give them credit for Bosa (it's a no brainer pick...it'd be like crediting the Jax regime for drafting Trevor Lawrence this year). They have made their mark with some crafty, low risk trades, through coaching and hitting on some super late draft picks which is going to likely be unsustainable (Seattle is a good example of this with the main difference being that when they did hit on their mid rounds picks over that stretch, they founds a top 5 NFL QB). 

Thomas is the worst pick in 9er history. I don't think that's particularly debatable. Foster was an understandable misfire. My disdain for the McG pick is extremely well documented on this site (credit to him, as J said he's exactly what he was thought to be). Bosa was always the pick. Aiyuk looks damn good and you could argue that is the first truly good first round pick that they have made in this regime given the decisions that went into that. I said it last year, I'll say it again....not a Kinlaw fan. He flashed some last year, and looked better at times than I thought so I could easily end up wrong, but I Think ultimately that pick is going to be a misfire. 300+ pound linemen with knee tendonitis I don't project to have long shelf lives and as I said last year, I don't know that the perceived upside in his pass rushing was as high as people thought. 

Then you look at free agency, and it's Sherman and  K'waun. I mean, Juice was okay I guess...the team got a nice and sturdy 100K house that they paid 300K for, I guess. But when this team has spent money, it's been tragic. We basically ended up giving Kwon like 20 million dollars for 13 games. Seriously. Johnathan Cooper was like 4 million to never play a snap. The Jet contract, regardless of injuries, was widely panned at the time. It was bad from the jump. Pierre Garcon's contract was a dumpster fire. Remember when Malcolm Smith was a thing? The Dee Ford contract (the trade and contract were okay, just ended badly, until I found out about the injury guarantee this year, which is one of the worst things I've seen us do contractually in a long time). Weston Richburg's contract. Tevin Coleman. Just about everything we have touched in free agency on the big deals has turned to crap (we have done okay on the lower end stuff, Person / Brunskill were solid adds, Williams was a low rent add at first, and Mitchell was okay). 

So it's been a really weird tenure. I mean, they crushed the Warner, Greenlaw, Kittle picks and you have to credit them for that. Guys like Breida and Bourne as tremendous finds as udfas. The trade for Tomlinson was great, and even the trade for Jimmy was very, very good. 

• Like 1