2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

15 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

At the time, the only WTF's I had were Joe Williams and Beathard. I was pumped to get Spoon in the 3rd. He was exactly what we were looking for in a corner. 

We also got D.J. Jones in the 6th, which has turned out to be a pretty good pick. Trent Taylor was looking like a good pick in the 5th, but injuries derailed him. 

We also signed Bourne, Brieda, and Mullins as UDFAs. How often do 3 UDFAs in one year end up being significant contributors for years after?

Great call on Jones, forgot about him. Sure in Mullens, not huge for me thiggg.

12 minutes ago, John232 said:

Great call on Jones, forgot about him. Sure in Mullens, not huge for me thiggg.

Sure, Mullins turned into a pumpkin because he reached his development ceiling and was asked to do too much. But grabbing a UDFA QB and turning him into an intriguing backup that had a trade market for a little while isn't a nothing burger. 

• Like 1

I do think the regime is improving with the draft now. You go from a Thomas/Foster/McGlinchey/Pettis to Bosa/Samuel/Kinlaw/Aiyuk, looking strictly at your top 2 picks in each draft. Thats 1 average player and 3 busts, to 1 elite player, 2 very good players, and an average player who's TBD (year 1 to 2 jump is huge for D-Lineman). Also looks like they're improving with FA; we haven't really done any big contracts last year, but this year is TBD. 

But like @Forge was saying, our track record later on in the draft is pretty good. If you go from the 3rd round to UDFA, you've got 2 elite players (Kittle, Warner), several solid starters (Jones, Moore, Mosley, Greenlaw) & several solid backups (Breida, Bourne, James, Dwelley, Wilson, McKvitz, Givens)

Add in bargain bin FA's who are/were important depth like Hyder, Verrett, Brunskill, K'Waun Wllliams

Some good trades with Trent Williams, Emmanuel Sanders, Jimmy G, Tomlinson

And we did benefit from some leftover talent from the previous regime like Buckner, Armstead, Ward, & Tartt

Looking at it all laid out, its kind of funny to see how far we've come utilizing the lower round picks, trades, & bargain-bin FA's. But like i said, the last 2 years of top picks have been good and we need that to continue

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I do think the regime is improving with the draft now. You go from a Thomas/Foster/McGlinchey/Pettis to Bosa/Samuel/Kinlaw/Aiyuk, looking strictly at your top 2 picks in each draft. Thats 1 average player and 3 busts, to 1 elite player, 2 very good players, and an average player who's TBD (year 1 to 2 jump is huge for D-Lineman). Also looks like they're improving with FA; we haven't really done any big contracts last year, but this year is TBD. 

But like @Forge was saying, our track record later on in the draft is pretty good. If you go from the 3rd round to UDFA, you've got 2 elite players (Kittle, Warner), several solid starters (Jones, Moore, Mosley, Greenlaw) & several solid backups (Breida, Bourne, James, Dwelley, Wilson, McKvitz, Givens)

Add in bargain bin FA's who are/were important depth like Hyder, Verrett, Brunskill, K'Waun Wllliams

Some good trades with Trent Williams, Emmanuel Sanders, Jimmy G, Tomlinson

And we did benefit from some leftover talent from the previous regime like Buckner, Armstead, Ward, & Tartt

Looking at it all laid out, its kind of funny to see how far we've come utilizing the lower round picks, trades, & bargain-bin FA's. But like i said, the last 2 years of top picks have been good and we need that to continue

100% on all of this. It's the swing and miss with Thomas that's creating the stink of all of this. The Thomas pick is the blackeye of the Lynch regime. If the pick was any of Jamal Adams, Christian McCaffrey, Marshon Lattimore, along with the obvious Mahomes or Watson, everything else wouldn't look so bad when it comes to the draft.

Some of the FA contracts were laughably bad. Some, as you mentioned, were masterful. 

• Like 1