2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know about desperate disaster, but this regime's tenure has been very weird. I mean, high picks and and free agency have been a dumpster fire. This team has been pretty bad in those regards, especially since I'm not really going to give them credit for Bosa (it's a no brainer pick...it'd be like crediting the Jax regime for drafting Trevor Lawrence this year). They have made their mark with some crafty, low risk trades, through coaching and hitting on some super late draft picks which is going to likely be unsustainable (Seattle is a good example of this with the main difference being that when they did hit on their mid rounds picks over that stretch, they founds a top 5 NFL QB). 

Thomas is the worst pick in 9er history. I don't think that's particularly debatable. Foster was an understandable misfire. My disdain for the McG pick is extremely well documented on this site (credit to him, as J said he's exactly what he was thought to be). Bosa was always the pick. Aiyuk looks damn good and you could argue that is the first truly good first round pick that they have made in this regime given the decisions that went into that. I said it last year, I'll say it again....not a Kinlaw fan. He flashed some last year, and looked better at times than I thought so I could easily end up wrong, but I Think ultimately that pick is going to be a misfire. 300+ pound linemen with knee tendonitis I don't project to have long shelf lives and as I said last year, I don't know that the perceived upside in his pass rushing was as high as people thought. 

Then you look at free agency, and it's Sherman and  K'waun. I mean, Juice was okay I guess...the team got a nice and sturdy 100K house that they paid 300K for, I guess. But when this team has spent money, it's been tragic. We basically ended up giving Kwon like 20 million dollars for 13 games. Seriously. Johnathan Cooper was like 4 million to never play a snap. The Jet contract, regardless of injuries, was widely panned at the time. It was bad from the jump. Pierre Garcon's contract was a dumpster fire. Remember when Malcolm Smith was a thing? The Dee Ford contract (the trade and contract were okay, just ended badly, until I found out about the injury guarantee this year, which is one of the worst things I've seen us do contractually in a long time). Weston Richburg's contract. Tevin Coleman. Just about everything we have touched in free agency on the big deals has turned to crap (we have done okay on the lower end stuff, Person / Brunskill were solid adds, Williams was a low rent add at first, and Mitchell was okay). 

So it's been a really weird tenure. I mean, they crushed the Warner, Greenlaw, Kittle picks and you have to credit them for that. Guys like Breida and Bourne as tremendous finds as udfas. The trade for Tomlinson was great, and even the trade for Jimmy was very, very good. 

You're right, FA has not been good with this FO. High draft picks have been hit-or-miss, but you could point to any team in the league and say the same. 

To me, what marks a great team is what you do with talent you acquire outside of the top of the draft. I can't remember the last time a 49ers FO was digging up gold from the UDFAs, late-round guys, and cast-offs consistently. Some teams are really bad with this, but we've actually struck it rich several times with varying degrees of success. 

Whiffing on Solomon Thomas is the biggest heart-breaker we've had in quite some time. That's inexcusable. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

So it's been a really weird tenure. I mean, they crushed the Warner, Greenlaw, Kittle picks and you have to credit them for that. Guys like Breida and Bourne as tremendous finds as udfas. The trade for Tomlinson was great, and even the trade for Jimmy was very, very good. 

It's so funny where GM's win and Lose. That's why I posted that Jon Robinson tweet. The 49ers are one of the biggest hit or miss teams in the league when it comes to player acquisition. The Patriots are almost the complete opposite. Jason Licht for a while was kind of like that and then BOOM had a goldmine draft class and followed it up the next year with aggressive FA plays. (Details can obviously be debated, etc.) 

The 49ers are almost like..the Adam Dunn or Joey Gallo of football. They strikeout more than they should, but when they hit, they smash. It's largely carried them. And I know this can probably be attributed to my homerism, but I think last year can really be framed more as a positive for them than a negative. They had one of t he worst years i've ever seen for a team being injured and they were still far more competitive than they should have been. A lot of that is outstanding coaching and game planning, but it's also player acquisition. Trent Williams, Kerry Hyder, Jason Verrett and Jordan Reed were all big contributors at various points last year, if not the whole year. All of these guys were acquired for cheap. 

In many ways, I think this team being forced to extend the big guns and tap themselves out a bit will force them to be creative and search for budget players...and I honestly think that's when they're at their best. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

You're right, FA has not been good with this FO. High draft picks have been hit-or-miss, but you could point to any team in the league and say the same. 

To me, what marks a great team is what you do with talent you acquire outside of the top of the draft. I can't remember the last time a 49ers FO was digging up gold from the UDFAs, late-round guys, and cast-offs consistently. Some teams are really bad with this, but we've actually struck it rich several times with varying degrees of success. 

Whiffing on Solomon Thomas is the biggest heart-breaker we've had in quite some time. That's inexcusable. 

That whole years sums up the 49ers. 

strikeouts: Thomas, Joe Williams, CJ, Malcom Smith

WTF's?: Foster, Spoon (Great players who showed some incredible talent but couldn't put it together consistently..Foster..obviously has other noted issues). PIerre Garcon dropping off a cliff after a good first year. 

Homeruns: Kittle, Breida, Bourne, Tomlinson, Jimmy G

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the Jags are tagging Robinson. I don't know if that completely takes them out of the Trent Williams sweepstakes, but good chance it does.

One less suitor but the biggest threat is still Indy. 

Yeah, I never view it like that ('one less suitor"). So long as there is one suitor, thats enough. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

WTF's?: Foster, Spoon (Great players who showed some incredible talent but couldn't put it together consistently..Foster..obviously has other noted issues). PIerre Garcon dropping off a cliff after a good first year. 

Honestly i have a hard time saying a CB in the third that has played as well at Spoon has to put him as a WTF. Not really a homerun but stll not a bad pick. With CJ i don't think he fits the same tier as Smith, Thomas and Williams. Yeah he hasn't turned in a starter in the NFL but for where he is drafted i don't think its a total strikeout.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly i have a hard time saying a CB in the third that has played as well at Spoon has to put him as a WTF. Not really a homerun but stll not a bad pick. With CJ i don't think he fits the same tier as Smith, Thomas and Williams. Yeah he hasn't turned in a starter in the NFL but for where he is drafted i don't think its a total strikeout.

That’s fair. I think I put him there because for as well as he’s played, he’s basically been a no factor for two seasons out of 4 and he’s likely not coming back.

my general thing is they seem to have a pretty good process. Far from perfect, but compared to other past GMs and other regimes, I’d take lynch over most.

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

That’s fair. I think I put him there because for as well as he’s played, he’s basically been a no factor for two seasons out of 4 and he’s likely not coming back.

my general thing is they seem to have a pretty good process. Far from perfect, but compared to other past GMs and other regimes, I’d take lynch over most.

I think in general what people expect from day 2 picks and what most actually contribute is a pretty decent divide. 

What makes me question the most is how we can have such a succes rate on late round/UDFA picks(even the guys that we cut or let go a decent amount of our late round picks still is in the NFL and seeing some snaps). Yet when it comes to FA we really have only a few successes and almost all have been on almost minimum deals. Its truely amazing we even went to the superbowl if you look at the misses we have had. 

Somewhere i am not that sad that Mayhew has gone to the WFT and really hope we can step up on the pro side outside of the low level trades/minimum deals(where still when looking at it as a whole there will always be a few good ones).

37 minutes ago, John232 said:

At the time, the only WTF's I had were Joe Williams and Beathard. I was pumped to get Spoon in the 3rd. He was exactly what we were looking for in a corner. 

We also got D.J. Jones in the 6th, which has turned out to be a pretty good pick. Trent Taylor was looking like a good pick in the 5th, but injuries derailed him. 

We also signed Bourne, Brieda, and Mullins as UDFAs. How often do 3 UDFAs in one year end up being significant contributors for years after?

• Like 1