2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

Foegot Simms has a first round grade on Mond. 

The high value on Darnold must mean the rest of the league is giving him a pass for being coached by Gase. But they have looked better with old Flacco so it can't just be Gase. 

I don't see Carolina or Denver trading for him. This seems a bit forced tbh. 

8 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/07/nfl-draft-primer-quarterbacks-fmia-peter-king/

3rd reporter in the last week to add his take on the Niners-Darnold....

At some point, I think reporters reporting a connection between the niners and darnold are pretty much reporting the previous reporters reporting it. They don't have a different source confirming the matter, they're all the same source being repeated. So any new report isn't supporting the matter more than the previous reports were. 

In other news, I report that the Allies won the second world war. I won't tell who my source is.

• Like 1

San Francisco would be even more fascinating. Darnold’s a strong fit for Kyle Shanahan’s offense, and trading for him would make the Niners six years younger, and $20 million cheaper at the position in 2020. The Niners like Jimmy Garoppolo, as we’ve said here, and won’t move off him without a clear upgrade. Could Darnold be that?

Such a strong fit in Shanahan's system but not a strong fit in LaFleur's system? L-O-L.....

28M in cap space? That's more than enough, especially when you factor in that they can clear 4.5M more with the release of Richburg. Even with Ford on the roster, they are in good position. I guess with Ford you just hope he is able to get healthy at some point and contribute. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Such a strong fit in Shanahan's system but not a strong fit in LaFleur's system? L-O-L.....

28M in cap space? That's more than enough, especially when you factor in that they can clear 4.5M more with the release of Richburg. Even with Ford on the roster, they are in good position. I guess with Ford you just hope he is able to get healthy at some point and contribute. 

I don't believe Shanny's reported love for Darnold for one second but not because of LaFluer.

We don't know what LaFluer or Saleh thinks of Darnold. Their eval could be far different than Shanny's. Just because LaFluer came up under Shanny doesn't mean they're looking for exactly the same traits in their QB or even covet the same traits for their respective systems. I'm sure LaFluer has his own ideals about the position and how he wants maximize the position in his scheme. He may just view Darnold as broken. Or maybe he wants a more mobille QB to unlock the mismatches RPOs can create in Shanny's scheme.

Saleh had to gameplan against Darnold....maybe he wasn't too impressed from what he saw when prepareing to face Darnold and feels a upgrade is needed. 

They also hold the #2 overall pick so there's no need to roll with Darnold if they view guys like Wilson or Fields as better talents/fit for what they want to run. They have options so they're not obligated to go with Darnold just becasue he's there already.

I dont believe Shanny covets Darnold at all for the simple fact that if he truly wanted him, no one would know or be reporting about it right now. Even his boy Simms wouldn't be putting it out there. It's a smokescreen for them to throw off the scent of the rest of the GMs and personnel guys. There is clearly a motive behind this narrative and its not at all to get Darnold to become a Niner. I'm fairly certain that would have happened already if that is what Shanny truly wanted. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't believe Shanny's reported love for Darnold for one second but not because of LaFluer.

We don't know what LaFluer or Saleh thinks of Darnold. Their eval could be far different than Shanny's. Just because LaFluer came up under Shanny doesn't mean they're looking for exactly the same traits in their QB or even covet the same traits for their respective systems. I'm sure LaFluer has his own ideals about the position and how he wants maximize the position in his scheme. He may just view Darnold as broken. Or maybe he wants a more mobille QB to unlock the mismatches RPOs can create in Shanny's scheme.

Saleh had to gameplan against Darnold....maybe he wasn't too impressed from what he saw when prepareing to face Darnold and feels a upgrade is needed. 

I dont believe Shanny covets Darnold at all for the simple fact that if he truly wanted him, no one would know or be reporting about it right now. Even his boy Simms wouldn't be putting it out there. It's a smokescreen for them to throw off the scent of the rest of the GMs and personnel guys. There is clearly a motive behind this narrative and its not at all to get Darnold to become a Niner. I'm fairly certain that would have happened already if that is what Shanny truly wanted. 

No, my point is everyone keeps saying Darnold is such a strong fit in Shanny's system as if LaFleur's system isn't going to be very similar? If he is a strong fit in Shanny's system, then he would be theoretically a strong fit in LaFleur's system as well.

Now, of course different coaches can have different opinions on players. But THAT statement by all these national writers just makes no sense. 

Jets are clearly leaking stuff out to increase Darnold's value. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

They also hold the #2 overall pick so there's no need to roll would Darnold if they view guys like Wilson or Fields as better talents/fit for what they want to run. They have options so they're not obligated to roll with Darnold just becasue he's there already.

I think it could be Shanahan was really high on Darnold in that draft and that he spoke with Simms about that. Might be all stemming from how he viewed him back then and not really about what he has been so far in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

No, my point is everyone keeps saying Darnold is such a strong fit in Shanny's system as if LaFleur's system isn't going to be very similar? If he is a strong fit in Shanny's system, then he would be theoretically be strong fit in LaFleur's system as well.

Now, of course different coaches can have different opinions on players. But THAT statement by all these national writers just makes no sense. 

Jets are clearly leaking stuff out to increase Darnold's value. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

28M in cap space? That's more than enough, especially when you factor in that they can clear 4.5M more with the release of Richburg. Even with Ford on the roster, they are in good position. I guess with Ford you just hope he is able to get healthy at some point and contribute

They may still just cut ford. It's not a move in fond of. Saves 4 million as June 1 cut. I'd rather restructure, save more, then June 1 cut him next year

• Like 1

This reminds me a lot of how people (media) were talking even the idea of trading wentz first became plausible (during the season). I kept hearing on the ringer podcast and the athletic podcast and other places about there were still a lot of believers in him throughout the league

24 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kind of love that this regime threw money hand over fist at Pierre Garcon, Malcolm smith, richburg, kwon, jet, juice, cooper, ford, AA and yet all pro tackle Trent Williams is who they have a limit and specific structure with

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Kind of love that this regime threw money hand over fist at Pierre Garcon, Malcolm smith, richburg, kwon, jet, juice, cooper, ford, AA and yet all pro tackle Trent Williams is who they have a limit and specific structure with

Slightly different situations but yes, no need to play with Trent here. Get it done whatever way you can.

So is this team going to make any surprise cuts or no? 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Slightly different situations but yes, no need to play with Trent here. Get it done whatever way you can.

So is this team going to make any surprise cuts or no? 

Can't see it. The most likely surprise would be mostert, I think, and stinkiest no chance on that, I would imagine

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can't see it. The most likely surprise would be mostert, I think, and stinkiest no chance on that, I would imagine

Tomlinson is another that saves some if cut but don't see it as possible we cut him for the savings we get.