The Carr dilemma in 2021

Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

Saw someone tweet about the Carr extension and I don’t want to look for it. But the Raiders incentive in extending Carr would be cap space for this year which is at premium, so the Raiders would want to do a extension but a short term extension. If your Derek why on earth would you do that.   You would want to push for something that’s 4-5 years and I would assume the Raiders would like a 2 year type extension. 

This is Carr’s last chance at a big payday. He would be screwing himself with a short extension in the long run. 

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

We pay Carr and a season like the one he just had is no longer good enough and will be judged differently. The expectation will be for him to be elite, not the 6th or 7th best qb in the conference. 

Fully agreed. His play matches his current contract, he even outperforms his current contract a tiny bit. However, he plays well below a 30M+ type QB.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Don't know if that's true or not, but I believe that is their "Seasonal Grade". So he was their 8th best QB for the 2020 season only. (If what you say is even true). If you go by that logic, Mahomes isn't even a Top 4 QB in the NFL according to PFF. One season is Power Rankings, not Rankings.

Nice run around

• Like 1

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Saw someone tweet about the Carr extension and I don’t want to look for it. But the Raiders incentive in extending Carr would be cap space for this year which is at premium, so the Raiders would want to do a extension but a short term extension. If your Derek why on earth would you do that.   You would want to push for something that’s 4-5 years and I would assume the Raiders would like a 2 year type extension. 

This is Carr’s last chance at a big payday. He would be screwing himself with a short extension in the long run. 

I think he already has two years left on his contract.  Another extension would just give him like 4-5 more years left before he's a FA.  From what I can recall anyway.  But yeah, even if he did receive a slight increase in pay (30Mish), I don't think that would be bank breaking pay.  The cap will inevitably continue to rise, as well as QB contracts, so I wouldn't think 30M a season is outlandish.  We already have like 5 QBs getting more than 30M+ per season.

If there's an extension, it's probably something similar to Cousins. So a short one indeed. The Raiders would get to lower his cap hit in 2021 and Carr would get more guaranteed. At this point, he'd be playing with 0 guaranteed. That doesn't even mean they couldn't trade him next year though.

13 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

We pay Carr and a season like the one he just had is no longer good enough and will be judged differently. The expectation will be for him to be elite, not the 6th or 7th best qb in the conference. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Fully agreed. His play matches his current contract, he even outperforms his current contract a tiny bit. However, he plays well below a 30M+ type QB.

Carr has played $30 million ball over the last two seasons if you go by what his peers are getting paid (Ryan, Cousins, Stafford). But, carry on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr has played $30 million ball over the last two seasons if you go by what his peers are getting paid (Ryan, Cousins, Stafford). But, carry on.

I saw that comment about him and looked up the same info you did.  Of the Lower 30m something guys, Carr would be my choice over and over again.  

On 2/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, drfrey13 said:

There is a difference between saying he is not available and he is not available for that.

"Jim Ayello of the Indianapolis Star reports they inquired about Derek Carr‘s availability and were given a “pretty firm” answer that Carr is not available.

David Carr said earlier this month that the Raiders have turned down trade offers for his brother. There’s no indication that the Colts ever made an actual offer"

Anything David says about his brother I take with a grain of salt.  He tends to overexaggerate and protect his brother.  Not faulting him for it but just stating he does it.  The way the story is written it implies that the Raiders shut the Colts down before hearing what they were offering.  A response to an offer would be worded differently than shutting down talks before they begin.  The wording of the article sounds like the latter.

Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  Just like "Pretty Firm", what does that mean?

You see it as you said, I see it as they listened and said no thanks.  Either way, same result. I wouldn't trust everything his brother said, but combine the two stories together and it's logical to think that at least one offer was made, the Colts at least inquired, and the Raiders aren't interested unless somebody wows them.

• Like 1

What Is Inflation?

Inflation is the decline of purchasing power of a given currency over time. A quantitative estimate of the rate at which the decline in purchasing power occurs can be reflected in the increase of an average price level of a basket of selected goods and services in an economy over some period of time. The rise in the general level of prices, often expressed a a percentage means that a unit of currency effectively buys less than it did in prior periods.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

7-9 and 8-8 while throwing for 49 TD isn't $30M football. 

38 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

But his completion percentage!

29 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

His yards tho

Imagine being this simple.

Stafford: 3-4-1/5-11/45 TD with Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones

Cousins: 10-5/7-9/61 TD with Adam Theilen and Stefon Diggs/Justin Jefferson

Ryan: 7-8/4-12/52 TD with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley

I will never not miss dunking on you fools.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2