Clowney to have season ending knee surgery

candyman93

4 minutes ago, Malik said:

I mean Dwight Howard is a hall of famer so he is an all time great and at one point was one of the 5 best players in the NBA. Clowney was never in the discussion for best players at his position. 

I admittedly don't watch much basketball, only know a bit about Howard during his Rockets tenure no less... I forget he was an incredibly dominant figure elsewhere. Clowney WAS a two time All Pro, so there was a time where he was going well... But he's most definitely not a HoF guy. (I didn't think Howard was either, but what do I know?)

So, would "Dwight Howard during his Rockets tenure" be a better comparison?

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I admittedly don't watch much basketball, only know a bit about Howard during his Rockets tenure no less... I forget he was an incredibly dominant figure elsewhere. Clowney WAS a two time All Pro, so there was a time where he was going well... But he's most definitely not a HoF guy. (I didn't think Howard was either, but what do I know?)

You could expand it to Dwight Howard since he left the magic honestly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Clowney is probably closer to Andrew Bynum, if you’re looking for the physical presence that doesn’t have the technique and polish to dominate like people think he could have developed into. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Clowney is probably closer to Andrew Bynum, if you’re looking for the physical presence that doesn’t have the technique and polish to dominate like people think he could have developed into. 

That's a much better one...

On 12/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, wackywabbit said:

Well that sounds like a good reason to have a 5th year option 😉

this is a hindsight being 20/20 thing imo. davis was coming off a pretty whatever season, i think most fans saw not exercising the option as totally reasonable and didn't expect to want to re-sign him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is a hindsight being 20/20 thing imo. davis was coming off a pretty whatever season, i think most fans saw not exercising the option as totally reasonable and didn't expect to want to re-sign him.

Fair enough. I haven't consistently watched him and the production wasn't there, especially last year. He's looking now like a guy with his tools should.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:02 PM, ILoveTheVikings said:

Sorry for the tangent, but how has Clowney managed to not make even one sack all season long?

Combination of substandard play from him (he actually did have some impactful games, just no sacks) and a horrible, horrible pass coverage unit.  If a QB's first read is wide open 90% of the time, hard to get sacks from anyone.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Daniel said:

Combination of substandard play from him (he actually did have some impactful games, just no sacks) and a horrible, horrible pass coverage unit.  If a QB's first read is wide open 90% of the time, hard to get sacks from anyone.

agree about this . However, if he had JJ Watt in his prime on the other side, what would you expect his stat line to be ?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

agree about this . However, if he had JJ Watt in his prime on the other side, what would you expect his stat line to be ?

I'd argue it still depends on the coverage on the back end. Clowney's best season as a pro came when JJ Watt was injured - but AJ Bouye was in the middle of his breakout season as a #1 CB. So, that kept that first read silent long enough for Clowney to get past his blocker.

Even then, the issue was that he didn't finish plays enough. He's pursue and get pressure, but he never really got sacks.