Jalen Hurts named Starting QB (Week 14)

Jroc04

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Pederson has done everything in his power to protect Wentz , to a fault.  As a play caller and HC. 

Yeah... this unequivocally false. Pederson hasn't set Wentz up for success with how he's called plays whether it be abandoning the run game or ignoring it or not rolling him out and finding ways to get him away from pressure. It was evident in week 1 which was arguably his worst called game this year that he wasn't doing anything he needed to be doing to set Wentz up for success. He was having him doing deep drops with long developing routes behind a rag tag offensive line. 

Also, how does the GM that drafted him not get any blame?? 

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

You know it's bad when no one truly knows who's to blame for anything really lol. It's Howie, no it's Doug, no it's Lurie. Fire them all who cares at this point(except the owner ofc lol). Trade Wentz and be done with it all. 

They need to clear out all the decision makers and get fresh eyes to look at everything. I trust no one’s ability to evaluate a single player on this roster 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah... this unequivocally false. Pederson hasn't set Wentz up for success with how he's called plays whether it be abandoning the run game or ignoring it or not rolling him out and finding ways to get him away from pressure. It was evident in week 1 which was arguably his worst called game this year that he wasn't doing anything he needed to be doing to set Wentz up for success. He was having him doing deep drops with long developing routes behind a rag tag offensive line. 

Also, how does the GM that drafted him not get any blame?? 

Think you completely misinterpreted my post. When I say Protected Wentz as a play caller it's Doug not calling for him to scramble around, designed runs, Boots, Roll outs, throwing on the move, ect. Thing's that easily would work and extend drives but can't because everytime He does that puts Wentz at risk of injury again. The absolute last thing Pederson wants to be blamed for. Getting Wentz hurt running the football! Using his athleticism. 

Things you will see a Dozen or more times with Hurts this Sunday not because Carson is unable but because Doug doesn't care. He will let Jalen run around and if he gets hurt, so be it. If he looks like Wentz 2017, yippee I'm Genius.

Once again there is nothing including running, that Hurts can do that Carson can not. One QB they are worried (rightfully so) about getting injured the other not so much. Limiting Doug's play calling. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

22 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They need to clear out all the decision makers and get fresh eyes to look at everything. I trust no one’s ability to evaluate a single player on this roster 

Me neither. Im really hoping for a fresh new start for this entire team. 

Regardless of anything else I really hope we can get someone who can actually draft good players. This is getting ridiculous

I thought Hurts looked really good. He immediately did what many were predicting: nullified opposing pass rush with his legs. This threat of legs also likely meant there were DEs with contain duty more often and they were not just pinning their ears back (I'm guessing). Add in his ability to recognize when a play is dead (is this something even praise-worthy? I don't know but after 12 weeks of Carson it feels like it needs to be pointed out...), and the OL's job was MUCH easier. WRs had a bit more time to get open too. There is just no doubt, given both the state of our offense and the level Wentz was playing, Hurts is our best option at QB right now by a mile (beyond 2020? TBD).

On top of just being a good athlete who knows when to run and where to find the open spots, he made a handful of nice throws from the pocket where I think he scanned the field. Plays where he was just patient with the football and waited for the open man. Next step is throwing guys open, but for a QB who really was not throwing much from the pocket at OU and always quick to abandon it when read 1 was gone, so I was happy to see him just take what the D gave him on some plays. He did not look uncomfortable at any point out there.

I really can't get a good grasp on what the draft community thought of Jalen's arm, but it's pretty clearly good not great to me, yeah? It's no rocket, but it's NFL-caliber and that is all that matters. He's not going to be able to send heaters on those outside the hashes throws like Wentz could, and his 1 INT worthy throw of game was attempting that kind of throw, so he'll just have to overcome that with good timing.

His best play of day had to be the TD to Alshon. Good throw to let the WR go and get it, and more importantly stood strong in the pocket with 2 guys barreling down on him. 

I will say, Jalen as he is now is a running QB. His legs don't just bolster his game, like they do Wilson, Mahomes, 2017 Wentz (RIP), they are essential to it. Running QBs do not last in this league, they all get "exposed" eventually without fail unless they improve as pocket passers. The NFL has more or less figured out how to contain 4.2 Lamar Jackson who can flick a 60 yard bomb (still can, and I think will, be a very good QB, but we are not going to see another 2019 where he runs for 1200 yards on 7 Y/C), so they would surely do the same to 4.6 Hurts. If he is going to be our QBOTF, I would hope we prioritize getting the OL up to snuff and refining him as a passer from the pocket. They'll start sending spies, containing, and saying "you can't beat us with your legs," at which point you need to be able to take advantage of the extra time to throw or else you will struggle.

I'm just saying all that to temper expectations, my own included, because he might have a really hot end to this season after he played that well vs the Saints D... and you love to see that from a 2nd round pick who we knew needed work, but it's not gonna mean jack if the staff does not do a good job developing him and transitioning him from running QB to mobile QB.

• Like 1

My football needs are simple. I want to win games. 35-32-1 is not getting it done. I don't need to wait around for 50-49-1

• Foles > Wentz
  • Hurts > Wentz

Until Hurts starts losing a lot then let him play.

Wentz's rating in his last 28 games is about 84.6 Hurts did about that in his first start and he also ran for 100+

On 12/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Think you completely misinterpreted my post. When I say Protected Wentz as a play caller it's Doug not calling for him to scramble around, designed runs, Boots, Roll outs, throwing on the move, ect. Thing's that easily would work and extend drives but can't because everytime He does that puts Wentz at risk of injury again. The absolute last thing Pederson wants to be blamed for. Getting Wentz hurt running the football! Using his athleticism. 

Things you will see a Dozen or more times with Hurts this Sunday not because Carson is unable but because Doug doesn't care. He will let Jalen run around and if he gets hurt, so be it. If he looks like Wentz 2017, yippee I'm Genius.

Once again there is nothing including running, that Hurts can do that Carson can not. One QB they are worried (rightfully so) about getting injured the other not so much. Limiting Doug's play calling. 

You don’t know that’s true. Also, roll outs and stuff like that would help prevent him from getting hit and keep the defense guessing. They wouldn’t be able to just pin their ears back as much and know where his drop will usually be if they moved the pocket more. You can’t be afraid to let Wentz get hit either. If that’s Pederson’s excuse for not doing it more than that is pathetic. He was getting hammered in the pocket more than any other QB in the league anyways behind this o-line. At least give him some help in that regard. There’s only so much Stoutland could do this year with all the injuries and ever changing OL groupings. I can’t really put much blame on him. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You don’t know that’s true. Also, roll outs and stuff like that would help prevent him from getting hit and keep the defense guessing. They wouldn’t be able to just pin their ears back as much and know where his drop will usually be if they moved the pocket more. You can’t be afraid to let Wentz get hit either. If that’s Pederson’s excuse for not doing it more than that is pathetic. He was getting hammered in the pocket more than any other QB in the league anyways behind this o-line. At least give him some help in that regard. There’s only so much Stoutland could do this year with all the injuries and ever changing OL groupings. I can’t really put much blame on him. 

What would be your logical reason for Pederson's refusal to call those types of play for Wentz if not for fear of injury? He simply isn't concerned with Hurts. Scared to death with Wentz!