Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not high on King at all. Guy has been a 1 year wonder mixed with otherwise average play and a bad injury history. I understand a lot of people feel differently, but he's not a priority to me...at all.

I'm not terribly high on King either, but getting King on a 3/$30 to 3/$36 ish deal should be manageable cap wise, and means we only have a 1 year overlap with him and Jaire if we use Jaire's 5th year option and extend. Losing King would have a huge step down at CB and would make that position a priority in the off-season or draft, meaning we have to use draft capital there instead of getting someone in the trenches. IDK, I just don't see that as a good option.

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not terribly high on King either, but getting King on a 3/$30 to 3/$36 ish deal should be manageable cap wise, and means we only have a 1 year overlap with him and Jaire if we use Jaire's 5th year option and extend. Losing King would have a huge step down at CB and would make that position a priority in the off-season or draft, meaning we have to use draft capital there instead of getting someone in the trenches. IDK, I just don't see that as a good option.

I actually would like to see Hollman get a real look. Don't mind having to go CB high in the draft again either. I wouldn't mind King being back, but I really think it needs to be something like a 1 year prove it deal with incentives. He probably won't want that, but we'll see what type of market he gets.

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is basically the type of deal I'd be willing to give King. Otherwise he can walk.

Talk about unrealistic expectations.  Jimmy Smith has played in 20 games over the last 2 years, and he's 32 years old.  Kevin King has played in 25 games (probably 26) and he's 25 years old.  If the Packers aren't willing to pay him, some team will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Talk about unrealistic expectations.  Jimmy Smith has played in 20 games over the last 2 years, and he's 32 years old.  Kevin King has played in 25 games (probably 26) and he's 25 years old.  If the Packers aren't willing to pay him, some team will.

That's fine, again, I'm not saying my position is even "realistic." That's how indifferent I am about King coming back.

Just now, packfanfb said:

That's fine, again, I'm not saying my position is even "realistic." That's how indifferent I am about King coming back.

I mean, if you don't think there's a drop off going from Kevin King to Ka'Dar Hollman or Josh Jackson I'm not sure what to tell you.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

All depends on the cost .. $10-11 million, ok.  More than that, head on down the road.  Just because some team may/will pay him 14-15 mil doesn't mean Green Bay should.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if you don't think there's a drop off going from Kevin King to Ka'Dar Hollman or Josh Jackson I'm not sure what to tell you.

Agree. If we can use Linsley's money to keep King - I'm for it. It's actually been a nice experience having decent CBs and not having to recycle the position as a yearly need to be addressed - or - front line position to be filled. Nothing against Corey - but it seems we can replace Centers easier than starting CBs.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There are other ways to address the position if needed. Giving King any type of big deal is Nick Perry 2.0 waiting to happen. In 2 years we'll be talking about waiting for the dead money to clear so we can cut him. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

There are other ways to address the position if needed. Giving King any type of big deal is Nick Perry 2.0 waiting to happen. In 2 years we'll be talking about waiting for the dead money to clear so we can cut him. 

But you're expecting a rookie CB to come in and not struggle when history suggests they'll usually struggle before they figure it out.

I think it is realistic that King's numbers and the Packers' numbers are close enough they could get a short-term deal done. The Packers would probably like to get him to a second contract, and he's looking at a tough market during the Covid era of flat cap. A short term deal might get the Packers a couple of shots at drafting his replacement, and it might get King a chance to earn an even better deal from someone else when the market opens up a bit. I hope that's how it works out.

[Edit] Looking at AG #20's numbers, King looks good! But there's still the issue of availability. And issues with availability can be overcome by the first suitor who believes in having better luck than King and the Packers had.

Edited by Uffdaswede