Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

our pass rush has seemed a little sluggish lately, I hoping the week off freshens those legs up a bit. Will be a formidable defense if our pass-rush gets going w/ the way our secondary is playing right now.

Shades of that 2010 defense secondary right now creeping into mind...

Alexander/King/Sullivan/Amos/Savage vs Woodson/Tramon/Shields/Bigby/Collins

not at the same level, of course, but playing very very well right now

They looked good against the Titans but I think Trubs was getting ride of the ball within 5 yards of the LOS every play hampered what they could do against Chicago. 

8 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Sarcasm I hope

Listen, I get not paying RBs. I understand, although I do not think it applies to game changers. If it comes down to Aaron Jones or Kevin King, give me the superior player. Aaron Jones is by far the superior player.

Man was 2/2 for 28 yards allowed in like 50 snaps before garbage time, and both completions were schemed off coverage. 

In what universe is that not playing well?

8 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Sarcasm I hope

Listen, I get not paying RBs. I understand, although I do not think it applies to game changers. If it comes down to Aaron Jones or Kevin King, give me the superior player. Aaron Jones is by far the superior player.

It is much easier to replace RB.    When Jones and Williams weren't available against Tennessee, Dillon carried us.   

You pay a starting CB over a RB every time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

They looked good against the Titans but I think Trubs was getting ride of the ball within 5 yards of the LOS every play hampered what they could do against Chicago. 

That was the frustrating part, we played solid D but they still moved the chains in small chunks. Of course, this leaves the door open for negative plays and turnovers when you take so many chances. Also, our red zone D looked much better than it has, granted against a weaker QB, but this was the strength of our defense last year. 

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I agree, he looks healthier at just the right time. Having him playing at this level w/ Jaire is a recipe for a Lombardi IMO

Team is red hot at the right time

I thought King played a really good game.  I could whine about him missing a tackle here or there, but that is life as an NFL corner.

I was very happy to see his speed return to him.  He was coming up fast.  And I can't fault him for a couple of balls that were quick hitters and it is the scheme that keeps him 7-8 yards off of the receiver.

Yah, pretty happy with that pairing at corner.

We are playing well.  Defense has gotten better, though I still think Pettine is holding them back some.

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That was the frustrating part, we played solid D but they still moved the chains in small chunks. Of course, this leaves the door open for negative plays and turnovers when you take so many chances. Also, our red zone D looked much better than it has, granted against a weaker QB, but this was the strength of our defense last year. 

Gotta give credit to the Bares and especially Montgomery.  They broke tackles and made guys miss.  If we don't miss tackles, they were dead meat.

Also....seemed like Z was more concerned with arguing about holding than he was getting off of blocks.  Saw that enough during the game.

Gary seemed to get dinged and Peston didn't really bring it like he can.

It's scary to think that this defense is going to get better with some rest.  As long as there remains a foot squarely up Pettine's keister.

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Man was 2/2 for 28 yards allowed in like 50 snaps before garbage time, and both completions were schemed off coverage. 

In what universe is that not playing well?

Not a chance. I watched the game, he was targeted all game. Nowhere near WRs, and another terrible missed tackle. 

1 hour ago, Bleed G&G said:

As far as GM's go, it's tough because some coaches are really the GM's and hold all the power.  But as far as top paid RB's this year here is a list.

McCaffrey - Panthers - Missed the Playoffs

Kamara - Saints - Playoffs

Elliott - Cowboys - Missed the Playoffs

Johnson - Texans - Missed the Playoffs

Cook - Vikings - Missed the Playoffs

Henry - Titans - Playoffs

Mixon - Bengals - Missed the Playoffs

Drake - Cardinals - Missed the Playoffs

Gordon - Broncos - Missed the Playoffs

Barkley - Giants - Missed the Playoffs

Now I know there was injury for a couple there, Jones was also out a little bit this year.  But still only 2 of the top 10 paid RB's made the playoffs this year.  Stat's can always be a little miss leading, but I did want to point out why a lot of people say don't pay big bucks to RB's.

I would like King back over Jones if the money gets to high.  And I love Jones!!!  You simply just can't pay everyone and it hurts at times.

Irrelevant. Those teams missed the playoffs due to multiple bad decisions. Not just because they signed a RB. That thinking is flat out ridiculous. 

Is it a riskier investment, yes. But you're not going to miss the play-offs just because you sign a RB. It doesn't work like that. 

27 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not a chance. I watched the game, he was targeted all game. Nowhere near WRs, and another terrible missed tackle. 

What game were you watching?    They were hitting short stuff in the flats all day.    They hit a long pass that Savage mis-judged.   Other than that it was dink and dunk in the short zones all day.

Take away the 53 yard play to Mooney and he had 10 other catches for 40 yards.   Montgomery had 9 catches for 63 yards ()most after breaking a couple tackles), Kmet had 7 catches for 40 yards.  That is 6 yards per completed pass.    After the YAC.

What do you think a CB should be doing to stop all of that realistically?    In the defense the Packers were playing?

31 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Gonna need some time stamps on this. Because I'm looking at this box score and throws to the left were:

Drive 1:

7 yards 

Incomplete

Drive 2:

Incomplete

5 yards

Drive 3:

None

Drive 4:

None

Drive 5:

6 yards

1 yard

0 yards

Incomplete

Drive 6:

5 yards

11 yards

3 yards

Drive 7: 

5 yards

14 yards

2 yards

6 yards

Drive 8:

None

Drive 9:

4 yards

23 yards

Obviously many of these will be on the safeties, linebackers, and Sullivan.

But even if we do say they're all on King:

14/17 for 92 yards isn't a horrible day. That's a sub 90 passer rating. 

42 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Irrelevant. Those teams missed the playoffs due to multiple bad decisions. Not just because they signed a RB. That thinking is flat out ridiculous. 

Is it a riskier investment, yes. But you're not going to miss the play-offs just because you sign a RB. It doesn't work like that. 

Obviously it doesn't work like that directly. But it's indicative that large contracts to running backs are a bad investment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

It's really odd how you go insane at some of my posts and report them, and yet you post things like this saying I have a love child with a fellow poster. I don't get it.

Overreaction ... just playin ... chill.  He's playing better; not 13-15 mil worth but better. 

Edited by coachbuns

49 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously it doesn't work like that directly. But it's indicative that large contracts to running backs are a bad investment. 

I don't think it says that either. Riskier, yes. Reserved for few RBs who can take over a game. Not guys like Melvin Gordon or David Johnsons. 

Cook, Henry, Kamara, CMC, Aaron Jones absolutely.