Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

I lean towards drafting a QB. 

The idea of pulling a 2016 Browns and getting a bounty for the pick and then getting The Guy in 2022 or something is tempting, but in reality there’s little chance this team is 1.1 pick bad in a non-Gase year. Wilson or Fields will probably be the best chance the Jets get for a while to actually get a QB. 

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

This true, but certainly not next year. You take chances when the team is in a little better situation. We swung and missed on Sam. Do we want to swing and miss on Fields/Wilson setting us back another 3 years?  Trade down a little, get more high draft picks for 2021 and 2022. Build this team so we are young and only need a QB for 2022. That is when you take the risk.  If Sam plays next year like this year, chances are we will be picking high enough to swing a reasonable deal for a talented 2022 QB.

Another option is to take a QB in round 2 next year. As someone else mentioned, maybe Trask is there or Mac Jones or Brock Purdy. That is a pick that has less risk if the player does not pan out.

For sure. All options are now on the table. The only thing I don't love is staying at 2 and not taking a QB, but if your FO doesn't love them, they don't love them. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

For sure. All options are now on the table. The only thing I don't love is staying at 2 and not taking a QB, but if your FO doesn't love them, they don't love them. 

Agreed. If we are “stuck” at two, screw it take the QB. But JD has been pretty good so far with his wheeling and dealing.

I am not a QB talent evaluator, I watch a couple of games, look at game stats and form an opinion. Professional teams have a lot more data and are certainly much smarter than I. Maybe they see things with Fields/Wilson I can’t. In the end, if JD is comfortable with those guys I will trust them. I had 0 trust in our previous GM’s.

You gotta factor in Darnold needs to get paid next off-season (or given the 5th year) so you're kneecapping your own leverage if you don't just take a QB.

Got no choice, gotta take one. You took the LT last year, there's nobody there and nobody is gonna move enough to move up, take the QB even if they're not who you want.

I don't claim to have scouted the college QBs, but you've pretty much got to take one.

Darnold ain't it. At least not here. And we've basically used up his rookie contract. Try someone else. If Douglas and the new HC like Fields, take him and don't second guess it. If they like someone better, take him.

Guys like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford might become available, but they'll be expensive and we're not talented enough to make those short-term deals worthwhile to anyone.

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we’re just going to draft Fields. I hope he can be good. In most draft years he’s a 1st pick. But it’s just so devastating to miss out on TLaw. That it’s hard to get excited about. 

We are all devastated after yesterday, just when I though we has all our ducks in a row, good draft picks plenty of money for the FA market, and most of all getting the best QB in the draft, it all blow up.

14 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Would Lawerence think to himself ‘I don’t fancy playing for a franchise with zero fans and no real marketability.’

Hes going to pull an Eli and demand a trade to us. Don’t worry boys 😎

The NFL wants Jacksonnville, in London, but they can;t figure out how to handle the travel problems I was really surprise how well they filled their stadium when the NFL played a game in London.

6 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

You gotta factor in Darnold needs to get paid next off-season (or given the 5th year) so you're kneecapping your own leverage if you don't just take a QB.

Got no choice, gotta take one. You took the LT last year, there's nobody there and nobody is gonna move enough to move up, take the QB even if they're not who you want.

The Jets have until April or May(?) to pick up or decline the option. It would give us a season to decide to resign him or let him walk with little financial impact. It should not and most likely will not be a factor in whether to keep him for 2021.

We actually have plenty of choices. We do not need to pick a QB. If JD is comfortable with staying at 2 and taking one, I will defer to him and his scouts. I am not comfortable but I am not a paid professional. This team needs a lot more than a QB. If trading down is something JD wants to do, he will get it done. We can get a QB later in the first or second. We can get a FA placeholder or Dak. We can completely rebuild this team with all the draft capital and get a top QB prospect in 2022. I do not feel we are pigeon holed here. 

I think we have to get the right coach first and then see what that coach wants to do. Does he think Sam will work in his system or draft a QB. I did not like how Fields has played. I think Sam is better than this QB draft class expect T Law. Remember guys Sam said he wanted to be a Jet for life. I think you give Sam that 5th year option no matter what and he has 2 years to play with the new HC and JD adding good players to his roster. 

I stick with Sam unless free agency and our new coach entirely change our situation. If we whiff in free agency and hire a coordinator first time coach then drafting a QB is a set up for failure. 

Think back to Mahoney, Watson, Jackson and even Allen when they were drafted. The bones of a really good team were there already. They were the missing piece.  

Lawrence is a once in a decade player so you have to take him. In any other scenario we keep Sam and continue to build this team from the ground up.