Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

29 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just don't think Darnold is a leader, and you need a leader at that all-important position. His demeanor is that of a backup QB. 

We need someone who can come in here and command respect...much in the same manner Saleh has that respect on the sidelines.

Was Eli a leader?  Wilson is not overly animated nor is Rodgers. My point being please do not confuse high emotions with leadership. Most of the players that we considered leaders lead by example. Those examples are the things we do not get to see like work ethic, attitude, behaviors etc.

Sam is not a poor leader because he is reserved. He may not be a good leader for all I know but I do not know he isn’t.  The funny thing in FB is that winning and playing well are considered leadership skills. Those are just the outcomes of good play. Not leadership.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The best situation once I take a step back and think about it is to keep Darnold and give him a better offense. Load up in FA and early in the draft on things to help him. Trade back that 2nd pick but still stay high in the draft. Acquiring an additional 2nd and 3rd. And go hard after offense. Now with that we can see what he can do in a better system and talent around him. If he succeeds obviously that’s incredible. If he doesn’t... we likely are drafting somewhat high again and have an additional 1st next year to try and move up and get a QB in 2022.

The problem is Darnold has not shown any improvement in the three years since we drafted him. We gave him a pass for his first two years, but this year he has not shown us he is our QB of the future. He makes the same horrible mistakes he made when he played at SO Cal. None of us want to waste the second overall pick in the draft on a QB, but Darnold has given us no choice. Out of the four top QB;s in the 2018 draft, Jackson, Allen, Mayfield, and Darnold, all have taken their teams to the playoffs, and all one their first round games except Darnold. This years Jets offensive line was much improved, but Sam's passing was still horrible. I have no idea what this sudden LOVE AFFAIR  with Darnold is. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The problem is Darnold has not shown any improvement in the three years since we drafted him. We gave him a pass for his first two years, but this year he has not shown us he is our QB of the future. He makes the same horrible mistakes he made when he played at SO Cal. None of us want to waste the second overall pick in the draft on a QB, but Darnold has given us no choice. Out of the four top QB;s in the 2018 draft, Jackson, Allen, Mayfield, and Darnold, all have taken their teams to the playoffs, and all one their first round games except Darnold. This years Jets offensive line was much improved, but Sam's passing was still horrible. I have no idea what this sudden LOVE AFFAIR  with Darnold is. 

It’s because all signs point to him possibly being our starting qb next year so I think most on here just want to believe things will get better!!

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just don't think Darnold is a leader, and you need a leader at that all-important position. His demeanor is that of a backup QB. 

We need someone who can come in here and command respect...much in the same manner Saleh has that respect on the sidelines.

You hit the nail on the head, you are so correct. He just doesn't have any spark. He has the tools, strong arm, has size, moves around very well, but something is missing.

40 minutes ago, xenajets said:

It’s because all signs point to him possibly being our starting qb next year so I think most on here just want to believe things will get better!!

You are right, I think we all feel the same way.  We all hate giving up that second pick in the draft to get another QB. I have no idea what Douglas, is going to do.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Was Eli a leader?  Wilson is not overly animated nor is Rodgers. My point being please do not confuse high emotions with leadership. Most of the players that we considered leaders lead by example. Those examples are the things we do not get to see like work ethic, attitude, behaviors etc.

Sam is not a poor leader because he is reserved. He may not be a good leader for all I know but I do not know he isn’t.  The funny thing in FB is that winning and playing well are considered leadership skills. Those are just the outcomes of good play. Not leadership.

If Darnold can win two Super Bowl rings, I'll let it go.

:)

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Thoughts on keeping Sam and drafting Wilson?

As much as I want Wilson, I think I also want him on the bench for at least half a season.

I thought about that. Keep them both, let Darnold start and prove himself and give Wilson a year to sit and just soak it all in and maybe come in once we're eliminated from playoff contention. Not the worst idea. 

8 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If we are going to go in that direction, why keep Sam? Why not upgrade with a free agent who knows what he is doing? 

Why not win a few games and develop our next QB?

Exactly.  We need the pick for Sam way way more then keeping him as a stopgap.  That is a terrible idea.

The options are pretty clear to me.

Trade for Watson or draft a QB at 2.  It would be a huge disappointment to go into next season with Sam as the QB and no other options.  I'd even prefer the distant 3rd option over keeping Sam which is trading down from 2 for a haul and signing Jameis.

I'd much rather go that route.  I don't even have keeping Sam as an option.  He has done nothing to prove he is a starting QB.  At least Jameis has shown he's capable.  He put up huge numbers despite having a TO issue.  Sam has the same TO issue without the numbers.  At least you'll know that Jameis can be a good QB if you can figure out how to cut his TOs down.  Can't say the same with Sam.

We need to move on its imperative that we do.

20 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly.  We need the pick for Sam way way more then keeping him as a stopgap.  That is a terrible idea.

The options are pretty clear to me.

Trade for Watson or draft a QB at 2.  It would be a huge disappointment to go into next season with Sam as the QB and no other options.  I'd even prefer the distant 3rd option over keeping Sam which is trading down from 2 for a haul and signing Jameis.

I'd much rather go that route.  I don't even have keeping Sam as an option.  He has done nothing to prove he is a starting QB.  At least Jameis has shown he's capable.  He put up huge numbers despite having a TO issue.  Sam has the same TO issue without the numbers.  At least you'll know that Jameis can be a good QB if you can figure out how to cut his TOs down.  Can't say the same with Sam.

We need to move on its imperative that we do.

From the reports that are out it is either Watson or Sam. I think both JD and Saleh don't like the other QB at 2. The only QB worth pick 2 is T Law and he should go pick 1. I think one of Fields or Wilson falls to the teens. I'm not buying into these QB being that good. I think Lance is a better QB than both these guys. I would not be shocked if Lance was picked before both these guys. 

44 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

From the reports that are out it is either Watson or Sam. I think both JD and Saleh don't like the other QB at 2. The only QB worth pick 2 is T Law and he should go pick 1. I think one of Fields or Wilson falls to the teens. I'm not buying into these QB being that good. I think Lance is a better QB than both these guys. I would not be shocked if Lance was picked before both these guys. 

While I agree... I wouldn't just assume that. Of course they aren't going to right when the season ends say they want to move on from Sam. They're going to talk highly of him and leave all options open. Which is what JD has mainly said. I think at the end of the day you're right that we either pull the trigger on a Watson trade or roll with Darnold and try and give him more pieces. But I do hope we trade back if that is the case and add more picks to help this rebuild if we are staying with Darnold

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

While I agree... I wouldn't just assume that. Of course they aren't going to right when the season ends say they want to move on from Sam. They're going to talk highly of him and leave all options open. Which is what JD has mainly said. I think at the end of the day you're right that we either pull the trigger on a Watson trade or roll with Darnold and try and give him more pieces. But I do hope we trade back if that is the case and add more picks to help this rebuild if we are staying with Darnold

What do you think is the better move, giving up 3-4 1st round picks for watson. Have your qb but not the picks to build up the team or trade back keep Darnold and pick up more pieces now and in the future with multiple 1st rd picks?