Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

I'm def team Smith/Chase/Sewell after a small trade down. Pickup an extra high second. Then we can use some combo of seattle's first our second and the trade down second to fill RB TE and either a wr or lineman depending on what we did with our first round.

Sign a guy like Mariotta or Winston to come in and compete with Sam for the job. Winner gets the starting nod. If Sam is the winner and plus well we have our guy. If he sucks or gets beat, we have two first rounders and will likely lose a lot of games putting us in position to move up for a QB next off season. That qb would be walking into a much better roster, with a head coach that had a year to build and install his system, something that significantly improves the chances for a rookie QB to succeed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But we literally have to ace FA and our 23rd and 34th pick to give Wilson a chance to succeed. We don’t help him like we haven’t helped countless QBs before... there will be no difference who’s under center

1. It doesn't have to be done in one offseason.

2. We have nearly 80M to spend in free agency plus 3 additional picks in the top 90.

3. There are some decent players to build around in Crowder, Mims, Becton, McGovern, etc.

There is no reason the pick at 2 should be devoid of talent and put in a worse situation then any other young QB going to a team drafting this high.  None of those situations are ideal but somehow other teams make it work and so can we.  If anything we can put him in a great spot if we focus our assets on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by Rockice_8

I skipped a page but I honestly can’t see a new coach tying his career to Sam Darnold.  I’m not interested in trying to build around Sam and ending up in the same situation next year, or the year after.  I want to start this rebuild now while JD, new coach and new qb are on the same timeline.  If it doesn’t work out, you get rid of all of them and start again.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of keeping Darnold and bringing in more question marks like Winston and/or Mariota to compete with him. Too much uncertainty, not enough of a plan imo. Too much in the air. 

Draft a developmental QB (at 23, or early 2nd round), sign a legitimate starting QB and have the veteran start the season as the guy. Then reassess as the season progresses, and as the young QB progresses. Perhaps there is an injury somewhere along the line. Perhaps our doctors puncture our veteran QB's lung, boom instant opportunity. 

We just have to stop making the same mistake with the QB. Drafting another guy at 2 and anointing him the starter after just doing that at 3 in 2018 is not the way to go here.

There are 8 quarterbacks playing this weekend, six of whom sat behind a veteran to start their careers. Three of those six are considered three of the 10 best, all time (Brady, Brees and Rodgers). Two of the others are among the elite at the position right now (Mahomes and Jackson). The other was picked No. 1 overall and is starting to show why (Mayfield). Of the two who started right away, only Josh Allen (who many on this board hated in 2018, and thought would bust completely) looks like the real deal. He is with Mahomes and Jackson as part of the elite at the position right now (along with Rodgers, Russell Wilson, et al). Wilson too had to earn the job as a later pick. He started right away but that was not the plan. Seattle gave big money to Matt Flynn, he was supposed to be the guy.

Meanwhile, the guy who resembles Darnold the most (Jared Goff) is the other guy who started right away. And he has already started to regress. The same thing happened to Carson Wentz, who went right after him and started right away. Meanwhile, Dallas has a superstar at QB in Dak Prescott and he too sat behind a quality veteran in Tony Romo.

There are just too many examples of success stories when a team decided to sit their eventual starter (even if it was for just one week, like Justin Herbert) instead of playing them immediately. 

To me, the plan should be obvious by now. 

17 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't like the idea of keeping Darnold and bringing in more question marks like Winston and/or Mariota to compete with him. Too much uncertainty, not enough of a plan imo. Too much in the air. 

Draft a developmental QB (at 23, or early 2nd round), sign a legitimate starting QB and have the veteran start the season as the guy. Then reassess as the season progresses, and as the young QB progresses. Perhaps there is an injury somewhere along the line. Perhaps our doctors puncture our veteran QB's lung, boom instant opportunity. 

We just have to stop making the same mistake with the QB. Drafting another guy at 2 and anointing him the starter after just doing that at 3 in 2018 is not the way to go here.

There are 8 quarterbacks playing this weekend, six of whom sat behind a veteran to start their careers. Three of those six are considered three of the 10 best, all time (Brady, Brees and Rodgers). Two of the others are among the elite at the position right now (Mahomes and Jackson). The other was picked No. 1 overall and is starting to show why (Mayfield). Of the two who started right away, only Josh Allen (who many on this board hated in 2018, and thought would bust completely) looks like the real deal. He is with Mahomes and Jackson as part of the elite at the position right now (along with Rodgers, Russell Wilson, et al). Wilson too had to earn the job as a later pick. He started right away but that was not the plan. Seattle gave big money to Matt Flynn, he was supposed to be the guy.

Meanwhile, the guy who resembles Darnold the most (Jared Goff) is the other guy who started right away. And he has already started to regress. The same thing happened to Carson Wentz, who went right after him and started right away. Meanwhile, Dallas has a superstar at QB in Dak Prescott and he too sat behind a quality veteran in Tony Romo.

There are just too many examples of success stories when a team decided to sit their eventual starter (even if it was for just one week, like Justin Herbert) instead of playing them immediately. 

Dak started week 1 as a rookie.

I prefer we go Wilson at 2.

The only other scenario I’d be ok with is a trade back where we pick up an additional 1st in 2022.

First and foremost, I’d want Watson. But if we are going have Darnold under center, I’d at least want a fail safe in place. 3 first next year gives us plenty of amo to get a QB if Darnold bombs. Assuming we even have to trade up.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

Who would you consider a starting vet QB?

eh? I don't want him to answer that question. lol.

As far as I can think of..

Aggressive passing offense:

Jacoby Brissett

Jameis Winston

WCO and similar offense:

Andy Dalton

Taylor Tyrod

Phillip Rivers is a standalone qb. Whatever offense has set for him.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

You do know goff didn’t start right off the back and dak did right

Anyone saying we should sign some veteran like winston to start is out of their mind. We know what these guys are and that would be a complete waste of time. Either the new coaching staff likes darnold and rides with him or we literally have the #2 pick in the draft and we get to pick who we want. It’s not rocket science stop overthinking this.

9 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Anyone saying we should sign some veteran like winston to start is out of their mind. We know what these guys are and that would be a complete waste of time. Either the new coaching staff likes darnold and rides with him or we literally have the #2 pick in the draft and we get to pick who we want. It’s not rocket science stop overthinking this.

Winston #1

Mariota #2

Darnold #3

Trubisky #2

Bortles #1

Goff #1

Wentz #2

Griffin #2

Yup, it is totally rocket science.