A rule change that needs to be a thing

pf9

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

wrong

on CLEAR intentional grounding, i mean without a doubt the qb was trying to ground it to avoid a sack, the refs wont call a foul if a wr/rb was "in the area"

not intent. objective.

There has been plenty of grounding calls that were judgement calls based on where the RB/WR is.

9 hours ago, Norm said:

After we make all forward passes legal can we finally get rid of the antiquated out of bounds? Stadiums are huge now and we're wasting all that space since the players can't utilize it. 

It is a new era of inclusion in many aspects,  eliminate the 11 players maximum on the field.  Give everyone a chance to shine.

Why the need for 7 players on the line of scrimmage?

Why have a line of scrimmage?  Let the players be free to stand where the choose at the start of each play.  Offsides is so old school thinking.

@Norm

I think these could be game changing!!!!

12 hours ago, pf9 said:

Today, Baker Mayfield fumbled the ball trying to do a QB sneak on 4th down. A teammate recovered it and advanced it, which is currently against the rules, resulting in the Jets taking over.

Because it was such a huge game in the playoff race, I think the NFL will look at changing this rule for next year. There's other rule changes that need to be made because existing rules are antiquated - like making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown.

Making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown? This has potential to be really, really bad to watch.

39 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It is a new era of inclusion in many aspects,  eliminate the 11 players maximum on the field.  Give everyone a chance to shine.

Why the need for 7 players on the line of scrimmage?

Why have a line of scrimmage?  Let the players be free to stand where the choose at the start of each play.  Offsides is so old school thinking.

@Norm

I think these could be game changing!!!!

Agreed. All very antiquated rules. 

Games shouldn't have a time limit either. Most people don't even have jobs to go to right now so they wouldn't mind watching 11, 12 hour games. Maybe first to 200 points but you have to win by 25

33 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown? This has potential to be really, really bad to watch.

So another NFL shill that wants the game to remain antiquated...

We've been brigaded boys

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Agreed. All very antiquated rules. 

Games shouldn't have a time limit either. Most people don't even have jobs to go to right now so they wouldn't mind watching 11, 12 hour games. Maybe first to 200 points but you have to win by 25

- Multi-ball down: You have about 4-5 Football shooting cannons lined up on the sidelines. When the QB hits the button implanted on the Cs butt, the balls fire. Whoever comes down with one better run, could be worth a multi TD!

- Release real, wild animals onto the field at a random time. Could you imagine Lamar Jackson running from Khali Mack ...and an ACTUAL bear?

- New position: Quad Back. It's like a RB or a LB, but they're on a motorized quad. Not to be confused with Chariot End.

- New position: Chariot End. It's like a DE or LT, but on a chariot pulled by horses. Not to be confused with Quad Back.

- Instead of yellow flags, refs throw hand grenades towards offending players. That'll teach you to not false start.

- The Domino's Pizza Touchdown Delivery, brought to you by Domino's: At random, a fan ordering a pizza will have their pizza baked by the QB on the field and delivered by a RB - if the defense stops him, no food for you. Think of the fan interaction on this one!

I'd watch all of this.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Multi-ball down: You have about 4-5 Football shooting cannons lined up on the sidelines. When the QB hits the button implanted on the Cs butt, the balls fire. Whoever comes down with one better run, could be worth a multi TD!

- Release real, wild animals onto the field at a random time. Could you imagine Lamar Jackson running from Khali Mack ...and an ACTUAL bear?

- New position: Quad Back. It's like a RB or a LB, but they're on a motorized quad. Not to be confused with Chariot End.

- New position: Chariot End. It's like a DE or LT, but on a chariot pulled by horses. Not to be confused with Quad Back.

- Instead of yellow flags, refs throw hand grenades towards offending players. That'll teach you to not false start.

- The Domino's Pizza Touchdown Delivery, brought to you by Domino's: At random, a fan ordering a pizza will have their pizza baked by the QB on the field and delivered by a RB - if the defense stops him, no food for you. Think of the fan interaction on this one!

I'd watch all of this.

You must be young, these were all part of the game before Peyton Manning was drafted and changed all the rules

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

If I'm a RB who knows I'm about to fall short on 4th/1, I'm just going to roll the ball forward to a WR so we can keep a drive alive.

This is similar to what I'd do...

Man - even though the refs didn't let him get away with the intentional fumble, that 'worked' out for Gado in that a Packers lineman fell on the ball like he was intending, but what an absolutely idiotic decision to even try that. A Lions defender could have easily fallen on that and then you've basically given up a touchdown in order to try and prevent a safety. 

The Browns were credited with 4 fumbles on the final play against the Ravens so yes, pitches that hit the ground are fumbles.

Where this rule may need adjusted is that "accidental backward fumbles" in the last 2 minutes of a half (or 4th down) need to be intentional fumbles to be advanced by another player. If there is a bad snap that hits the ground on the way back to the QB that technically is down at the LOS and loss of downs but it wouldn't get called like that in a game (final 2:00 or 4th down).

The original rule was put in place to stop intentional (forward) fumbles from being advanced. Why an accidental fumble backwards not being allowed to be advanced makes no sense to me, It obviously doesn't have intent to deceive if it's ruled to be accidental.

Anyway, I think there should have at least been a re-spot and measurement where the ball was fumbled because it was right at the 1st down marker when it broke free. It may have been short but it would have had to have been inches.

As far as being cheated, there was a lot going against the Browns before and during the game but when you are playing for your playoff life you have to overcome it against a weaker team.

Nothing is changing the outcome but I would say that rule needs looked at just because it doesn't make sense that unintentional backwards fumbles can't be advanced.

5 hours ago, Norm said:

You must be young, these were all part of the game before Peyton Manning was drafted and changed all the rules

Little known fact - Marshawn Lynch once played Quad Back for Cal in a critical game against the University of Washington. It was a gutsy performance from Beast Mode:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norm said:

Now look at this one - I think NYG called a ghost QuadB right on this. Great execution on their part, look at how that busted up the play:

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:29 AM, Malfatron said:

The important question is...what happens if you throw an imcomplete pass 50 yards beyond LOS?

does it go back to the original LOS, or dead ball right there? And what about the clock?

I could see a WR catching a pass over the middle with little time left and chucking it oob to stop the clock.

It’s this kind of thinking that keeps me on this website