What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I get Watson not wanting to play for an organization hijacked by a charlatan but this Russell Wilson stuff is obnoxious. Great player but he should have the self-awareness to understand he can be his own worst enemy and make it virtually impossible for his OL to do its job. He tries to leave the pocket in almost any situation, not just when there’s quick pressure.

All these short QBs really need to study Brees who has never had issues throwing to the middle of the field. Because they all struggle with it. Deeper dropback and adjusted throwing angle are two ways Brees alleviates that disadvantage.

That would help Russ more than any addition to his offensive line because he will still want to escape the pocket all the time. 

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Haven't there been rumors of the Seahawks considering the rookie QB route? Sounds like both sides are feeling each other out...

They don’t own their 2021 first round pick because of the Adams trade.    That makes it really hard to go rookie QB or downgrade the position.   Russell Wilson is what makes that team a playoff team.   Any trade is likely a present year downgrade.   That is hard to embrace when you’ve pushed your chips in with the Adams trade for 2020-21.   

This seems more Wilson wanting Sea to diversify its pass O and get OL help - and giving the FO notice on how strongly Wilson feels here.   Far more likely next year this gets revisited if nothing’s worked than a deal this year.   SEA’s FO appears committed to go all out for 2021.   After then, all bets are off. 

21 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I get Watson not wanting to play for an organization hijacked by a charlatan but this Russell Wilson stuff is obnoxious. Great player but he should have the self-awareness to understand he can be his own worst enemy and make it virtually impossible for his OL to do its job. He tries to leave the pocket in almost any situation, not just when there’s quick pressure.

I agree Wilson adds to the problem by freelancing (which is hard for OL to account for) - but both Metcalf and Lockett have been frank about the simplicity of the pass O - and Lockett said as much at end of season for 2 years now.    Both statements can co-exist here - the pass scheme can be way too vanilla, while Wilson hero tendencies compounds the OL issues.  

Edited by Broncofan

I loved the reports media has multiple teams have inquired about a trade for Lock, yet Denver was higher than him then the league two months ago. Everything is smoke.

I don't think Drew depreciated in value from his draft position I mean he had a Better year than Wentz and has a rookie deal. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I loved the reports media has multiple teams have inquired about a trade for Lock, yet Denver was higher than him then the league two months ago. Everything is smoke.

I don't think Drew depreciated in value from his draft position I mean he had a Better year than Wentz and has a rookie deal. 

I think Drew can be an effective starter in this league. IMO throwing in the towel because he hasn't really produced yet is a very bad idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think Drew can be an effective starter in this league. IMO throwing in the towel because he hasn't really produced yet is a very bad idea.

Oh I agree and I think Paton is at that point he's clearly only ready to move off for a surefire upgrade. I think the way Drew closed out the year made things interesting.

I'd love to build the team up see if him playing his best ball in December is coincidental or not . If it's extending into January that be a better sign

17 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

I seriously doubt Lock finishes his rookie deal here.

I think this year is make or break. I still think there is a > 50% chance that he enters 2021 as the starting QB, albeit it’s highly likely that we get a more accomplished backup than Jeff Driskell or Brett Rypien this year (I think we will look for someone with a lot of starting experience like an Andy Dalton)

If Lock can show progression from year 2 to year 3 then there’s no reason why he wouldn’t complete his deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If the Cowboys land Wilson, and the Broncos cannot land Watson.  How comfortable are you all in Dak getting the call from the Broncos?  You cannot tell me the Broncos wouldn't be interested.  

Comfortable? I'd prefer it no draft capital required at that point

• Like 1