What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

FWIW, John McClain (Texans beat writer and VERY plugged in) just tweeted that he now expects Watson to be traded. Definitely something to keep an eye on over the next few days. Especially if the rumors that Watson is interested in Denver are true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Watson sitting in Houston for a year could play right into Denver's hand...interesting...

To be clear, Watson wouldn't sit for the year.  He'd likely report by week 10 - so he plays a minimum of 6 games on the roster.   That makes his 2021 contract toll.   But by then, I expect this to be settled far before then.

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

FWIW, John McClain (Texans beat writer and VERY plugged in) just tweeted that he now expects Watson to be traded. Definitely something to keep an eye on over the next few days. Especially if the rumors that Watson is interested in Denver are true.

I agree, but keep in mind that @ET80 & other HOU posters think the new FO is no longer leaking stories to local press, because of the new Easterby regime.  Still, McClain was as connected as anyone, so if there's anyone who might know....it's him.   The other part that's obvious is the Tyrod Taylor signing.   He wasn't just signed as a backup, he was signed with a lot of incentives to escalate his contract all the way up to 12.5M, and based on games played. 

Actions speak louder than words there - Houston's FO won't admit it publicly yet, but they clearly recognize life without Watson is a 2021 reality.   The issue is when the deal happens, and with who, not if a deal goes down.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

"Come out to Denver*, we'll get together, have a few laughs"

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

You can't think like this when it comes to QBs in the draft though. Two years ago, were people talking about Trey Lance, Mac Jones, and Zach Wilson as QBs in the Top 15? No. Projecting QBs two years out is futile, IMO.

Probably not, but there is a solid chance that Denver won't be picking this high next year. Paton may have to wait several years to get a franchise guy if he doesn't go for one this year (either in the draft or somehow by some miracle getting Watson).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Yeah I heard this too. For those who may not know, McClain is Houston's version of Klis, the team's "official reporter," so to speak. 

In other news, the radio guys have really been panning our moves in free agency thus far. And not just the shock jocks, even Sandy Clough, who is anything but a sensationalist, has been blasting Paton for over-paying for Harris and signing, and over-paying for, Darby who he says is always injured. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I heard this too. For those who may not know, McClain is Houston's version of Klis, the team's "official reporter," so to speak. 

In other news, the radio guys have really been panning our moves in free agency thus far. And not just the shock jocks, even Sandy Clough, who is anything but a sensationalist, has been blasting Paton for over-paying for Harris and signing, and over-paying for, Darby who he says is always injured. 

Lol "overpaying for Harris." Shelby Harris has been out best DL the last few years, and if not for him, our line would be complete trash. He earned that contract, and it's a completely fair price for him. Darby has injury issues- biggest knock on him, but comparing Darby's deal to Shaquil Griffin and William Jackson tells me we got Darby at a great price relative to others in the class. If he stays healthy, that signing should be a slam dunk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Lol "overpaying for Harris." Shelby Harris has been out best DL the last few years, and if not for him, our line would be complete trash. He earned that contract, and it's a completely fair price for him. Darby has injury issues- biggest knock on him, but comparing Darby's deal to Shaquil Griffin and William Jackson tells me we got Darby at a great price relative to others in the class. If he stays healthy, that signing should be a slam dunk.

Slam dunks?  This is football.  There is no dunking in football.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That pretty much what I think too. You’re always going to have to pay more than you would prefer in free agency. 

The radio guys are also starting to come unhinged that we haven’t signed a QB yet. It’s amazing how hated upon Lock is. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That pretty much what I think too. You’re always going to have to pay more than you would prefer in free agency. 

The radio guys are also starting to come unhinged that we haven’t signed a QB yet. It’s amazing how hated upon Lock is. 

We just aren't use to this.  Elway would have had this money spent already.  Which worked a few times, but the free agents available are underwhelming...and they are making bank.  I say let them spend the money on mediocrity.  We have the youngest roster in the league.  We have to let these guys develop a bit.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We just aren't use to this.  Elway would have had this money spent already.  Which worked a few times, but the free agents available are underwhelming...and they are making bank.  I say let them spend the money on mediocrity.  We have the youngest roster in the league.  We have to let these guys develop a bit.  

This x 10000000%.

Looking at our cap situation (still $27m in cap room) and given the following moves:

- Not giving Lindsay the second round tender

- Moving on from Kareem Jackson

- Signing both Darby and Shelby Harris to backloaded contracts

- General lack of activity, only one signing so far with most of the highest rated FA's off the board now

I really think that Paton is lining up for a run at Deshaun Watson here. 

• Like 1