2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

9 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I really only like T Law this year for a QB. If I had to list the QB this year this would be my order right now.

T Law

M. Jones

Wilosn

Fields

I do not give another QB a first round grade. I think Lance, Trask and the others really don't have a chance to be a good starting QB.

The 3 others for me are mid to low first round picks. I know all these teams are QB hungry so if forces them to the top as usual. This is a repeat of Mariota and Winston type draft. i gave those QB's mid to low first round grade too. I think Jones has the best chance to be a good starting QB after T Law. I thought Jones should have started over Tua too at Bama. I do hope the Jets take advantage and get a boat load in return for pick 2. I still think Sam is better than these guys except T Law and this is why I want to keep Sam over Wilson, Fields and Jones. 

I am not rating QB"s either, even the first four you listed except for TL. The problem is nobody is sure who the next star QB will be. Who ever know that Justin Herbert would play as great as he did this year, except for the Chargers.

17 hours ago, doumeyer said:

How bad does the Eagles at 6, Carolina at 8, Denver at 9 need a QB ? And what will they be willing to give up to move up to the two slot ??

I think the Eagles trading up for Wentz is a good comparison. Wentz was considered a top prospect but people had some doubts about him. I think Wilson and Fields fall into that type of prospect. High upside but not can’t miss.

This would be the equivalent of the Wentz trade:

Jets receive: 8th pick, 73rd pick, 109th pick, 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd

Jets send: 2nd pick and 2022 4th

There are more QB prospects in this draft which may make it easier for Carolina to just sit back. So, we likely get less. The eagles had also made that 1st trade up from 13 to 8. So everyone knew they were desperate for a QB.

So my guess is the Wentz trade is the high end of a trade with Carolina. And my guess on a low end is probably 2nd straight up for 8, 73 and 2022 1st. A trade is likely in between those two trades.

It really all depends on how these teams rank these QBs.

Edited by SDotNova

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I really only like T Law this year for a QB. If I had to list the QB this year this would be my order right now.

T Law

M. Jones

Wilosn

Fields

I do not give another QB a first round grade. I think Lance, Trask and the others really don't have a chance to be a good starting QB.

The 3 others for me are mid to low first round picks. I know all these teams are QB hungry so if forces them to the top as usual. This is a repeat of Mariota and Winston type draft. i gave those QB's mid to low first round grade too. I think Jones has the best chance to be a good starting QB after T Law. I thought Jones should have started over Tua too at Bama. I do hope the Jets take advantage and get a boat load in return for pick 2. I still think Sam is better than these guys except T Law and this is why I want to keep Sam over Wilson, Fields and Jones. 

And therein lies the issue with needing a QB. There are few years in which a Lawrence or Luck or Manning are available to be drafted. Most years it is like this one without Lawrence - a couple of prospects that are probably mid first round overall FB talent players being slated to be picked top 5. It is the way of the NFL.

One could argue build the team then get a QB, do it at the same time if possible, or get QB then build team. We are lucky enough ATM to be able to get a QB and build the team. By waiting until next year, the QB prospects won’t be any better than this year, maybe even worse. Should we wait until 2023?

You want to keep Sam and trade down. I have watched enough of Sam to disagree, but I defer to JD and the coaching staff on that. Trade down this year may be tough. Miami may want to trade down as well. Trading down is talked about a lot but happens a lot less. It is to expensive to do so for the trading up team and if the QB’s are meh like you state, why do that?  In the end, we will stay at 2 and get that QB. Occam’s Razor. 

20 hours ago, doumeyer said:

How bad does the Eagles at 6, Carolina at 8, Denver at 9 need a QB ? And what will they be willing to give up to move up to the two slot ??

The answer to that question will be known once the free agency period begins and teams sign quarterbacks. Then, there are the Watson/Wilson/Prescott situations that need resolution. 

I firmly believe that the QB draft market will come back down once the veteran dominos start to fall.

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think Wilson or Fields are so good they should be trading away the farm for a QB. Hurts still needs a full season to see what he has. CAR is crazy if they think either of those guys are so much better than Teddy. And DEN is similar as PHI where I don’t think they’ve quite given up on Lock yet. I think if a Lance or Jones falls to these guys. They entertain drafting them. But I don’t see them making a big trade up for a guy. I think you have to realize what that price is. DEN to move up to 2 would cost them roughly... #9 and 2 future 1sts. And as I said... Wilson or Fields aren’t that can’t miss or great to where they should give that up.

A team like ATL makes the most sense for a trade up. 

I don't even think Atlanta would be desperate enough. I mean, of those four teams, Atlanta has the most locked-in starting quarterback for 2021 in Matt Ryan (more than Jalen Hurts, Teddy Bridgewater or Drew Lock). Lock is probably the most vulnerable and susceptible to becoming a backup next season.

5 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

T Law

M. Jones

Wilson

Fields

If these guys are not better than Darnold, then that is a sad state of affairs. 

But seriously, I think they hold more value than Darnold due to less depreciation of value and the whole restarting of the contractual clock thing. 

At the end of the day, I want a new veteran starting quarterback for 2021. You know, so that we can actually start competing again. I almost forgot what that feels like.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

At the end of the day, I want a new veteran starting quarterback for 2021.

Do you mean draft a QB at 2 but sign a vet to start?  I think we went over this and I agree. The question is was vet? I don’t really see to many out there that are going to win us games. Fitz would be my favorite so would Flacco. Dalton would be good if he can accept his role.

Does appear we will tag Maye. Who would've guessed a few years ago that Adams wouldn't even be on the team and we'd be tagging Maye.

Or we could've just done what I wanted and drafted Watson and Cook and been set on offense for years.  ;)

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Does appear we will tag Maye. Who would've guessed a few years ago that Adams wouldn't even be on the team and we'd be tagging Maye.

Or we could've just done what I wanted and drafted Watson and Cook and been set on offense for years.  ;)

Ya they will tag Maye and look to sign him long term. I'm good with this because he has 4 good years left in him maybe 5. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Looks like Alex Smith is done in WAS. I’d add him to the list of vet QBs to hold down the fort if we draft a rookie or maybe even back up Sam. He’s an unbelievable story and would be a great role model/mentor. 

100%. As long as he knows his role and accepts a contract commensurate with said role. He would be my number 1 bridge QB and mentor. Or if Sam is still here, he would make an excellent backup. I still wish we had McCown. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Looks like Alex Smith is done in WAS. I’d add him to the list of vet QBs to hold down the fort if we draft a rookie or maybe even back up Sam. He’s an unbelievable story and would be a great role model/mentor. 

He's going to New England IMO.

As I’ve mentioned several times.....

There's several reports that several agents have said that WRs in FA won’t sign with the Hets without knowing there QB situation.

JD IMO has to make a decision in the next 2 weeks. He can’t lure offensive FAs here without knowing who the QB is.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

As I’ve mentioned several times.....

There's several reports that several agents have said that WRs in FA won’t sign with the Hets without knowing there QB situation.

JD IMO has to make a decision in the next 2 weeks. He can’t lure offensive FAs here without knowing who the QB is.

This does not surprised me all I just said last week I was not Optimistic about the upcoming FA period. I will say it again why would  any WR want to come to the Jets with our current QB problem? For us the draft should come before the FA market.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

This does not surprised me at all I just said last week I was not Optimistic about the upcoming FA period. I will say it again why would  any WR want to come to the Jets with our current QB problem? For us the draft should come before the FA market.