Best three year stretch for all NFL teams since the merger?

TecmoSuperJoe

I was thinking about this in my head for a while. I really think, at least now, 3 years is the max you can keep a good group of quality players together before free agency, age, and/or injury take it's toll. Even though the salary cap didn't exist before the mid 1990's, I'd still like to hear people's opinions on the best three year stretch of dominance a franchise has had. I'm not sure about before the merger, since that is territory I'm not that familiar on. From that point on though, I think I can name a few for some teams. Certain ones seem obvious to me like the 1999 to 2001 Rams or the 1992 to 1994 Cowboys. 49ers I'd say 1988 to 1990. A lot are tough though, and might include a losing season. Like the Bengals or Falcons.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Super bowl era for Cleveland:

1986 - 1989

3 AFC championship game appearances during that stretch.

Stupid Elway beat us all 3 times.

I don't know. We saw some pretty amazing dominance from 2015-2017

I  mean not many teams can go 4-44 in a 3 year span

• Like 1

99-01 all day

Still the most points ever scored by a team over a three year period I believe - and, I believe the only franchise to have the MVP in three consecutive years

13-3, 10-6, 14-2 one Super Bowl win, one entertaining playoff loss (Az Hakim fumble, ugh) and of course the beginning of the Patriots.

Even the losses were crazy entertaining.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I was thinking about this in my head for a while. I really think, at least now, 3 years is the max you can keep a good group of quality players together before free agency, age, and/or injury take it's toll. Even though the salary cap didn't exist before the mid 1990's, I'd still like to hear people's opinions on the best three year stretch of dominance a franchise has had. I'm not sure about before the merger, since that is territory I'm not that familiar on. From that point on though, I think I can name a few for some teams. Certain ones seem obvious to me like the 1999 to 2001 Rams or the 1992 to 1994 Cowboys. 49ers I'd say 1988 to 1990. A lot are tough though, and might include a losing season. Like the Bengals or Falcons.

What is so crazy about the Rams during that stretch is that we scored 500+ points in three straight years - might have been done by another team now, but I don't think so. This year the only team that might crack 500 is GB.

And this was before QB protection and illegal contact emphasis. Crazy.

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I was thinking about this in my head for a while. I really think, at least now, 3 years is the max you can keep a good group of quality players together before free agency, age, and/or injury take it's toll. Even though the salary cap didn't exist before the mid 1990's, I'd still like to hear people's opinions on the best three year stretch of dominance a franchise has had. 

Not a proper modern comparison due to free agency and the salary cap of today's game but the '71 to '73, Dolphins went to three straight Super Bowls, winning two of them. With the middle season of those three requiring annual champagne toasts even today if you know what I mean.

Might've been four straight til the Raiders enjoyed their Sea of Hands miracle win. After that, just like you said, the team was hurt when the fledgling World Football League used big money to steal three of Miami's star players (two which are Hall of Famers) and the nucleus of that Super Bowl team never won another playoff game with age, injuries and trades.

• Like 1

For KC it's the current stretch, and it really isn't even close. We'll end at either 39-9 or 38-10, depending on this coming game. Three of the franchise's 8 winningest seasons came in this stretch, one of it's two superbowls, two of it's four conference championship appearances (not counting the '62 Dallas Texans winning the AFL.) This year is already guaranteed to be the winningest season in franchise history. Had the franchise's only MVP win (again, not counting the '62 Dallas Texans in the AFL, with Len Dawson.) This is as good as it has ever been, as a Chiefs fan.

Prior to this, in my lifetime it would've been 95 to 97. But I was pretty young then, so the best I had really seen was either 03 to 05, just for how fun that offense was, or some other 3 year stretch of Reid's tenure. Even before the superbowl win, 2013 on is probably the most consistently good this team has ever been. And then prior to my existence, it was probably 67 to 69, for the superbowl win. But it all just pales in comparison to this current run.

6 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

What is so crazy about the Rams during that stretch is that we scored 500+ points in three straight years - might have been done by another team now, but I don't think so. This year the only team that might crack 500 is GB.

And this was before QB protection and illegal contact emphasis. Crazy.

With all of KC's incredible offenses since then, the Vermeil offenses that were so good in the early 00s, and every team we've had with Reid and Smith and Mahomes, we've only cracked 500 points once. We could this year if we scored 48 points this weekend, but that's not likely. Brees's Saints have done that 3 times across his entire career. Rodgers' and Favre's Packers have done so once, combined. So yeah, pretty impressive.

The Patriots did match it, though, from 2010-2012.