BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

wow i'm blitzed haha. might do a 3 up who knows. hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I got to play in a live RPG game for the first time in 14 months yesterday. It was nice.

Getting together later this week to watch the draft with my friend who is a Browns fan. He is oddly calm when he normally stresses out about the draft. Should be a good time once I find a way to stream it.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, rackcs said:

2022 Mock Draft

My favorite way to end the BDL draft is by looking ahead to the next one! Keep in mind that I have done almost zero scouting of these players yet. It's all based on projections I've read or guys I saw pop on tape while watching other dudes. I also just used this past draft's order since I don't feel like offending more people by projecting standings for next season.

Round 1:
1.1 - Raleigh Firebirds - Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma
This could very easily be Sam Howell from North Carolina. I'm very interested to see how these two play over the course of the coming season to see who will wind up the top QB in the class. Kyler Murray has two years left and has shown some flashes, but I think this season we'll see whether he's truly a BDL-caliber starter or not.

1.2 - Seoul Dragons (via Hungary) - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
Seoul grabs the other QB here. They have Matt Ryan in the last year of making $17,000 and look to grab their QB of the future here.

1.3 - Cancun Kaiju - Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
Cancun just took Gregory Rousseau and traded for Preston Smith but Smith isn't a long term option and Rousseau has bust potential. So instead they take probably the best player in the class right now in Thibodeaux. He's basically a sure thing at EDGE and will terrify offenses for years to come.

1.4 - Anchorage Trappers - DeMarvin Leal, INT, Texas A&M
After focusing on offense a lot this past draft, Anchorage now looks to the defense by taking Leal. Ed Oliver hasn't panned out and Anchorage could use more help up front.

1.5 - Seoul Dragons - Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
Seoul has no surefire guys at the CB position, especially not if you're looking for a classic lockdown type of CB. Stingley has been hyped up since his freshman season at LSU so he could cement himself in the top 10 with another strong year.

1.6 - Antarctica Katabatic Beasts - George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue
Antarctica did a great job of beefing up their OL in this last draft, now they look to the other side of the trenches. Frank Clark has not lived up to his $15,600 price tag and could be a strong 3 Down candidate this upcoming season if he doesn't improve.

1.7 - Camden Hood Rats - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
A couple of Camden's top OTs are going to hit free agency next offseason. Lucas Niang could prove to be the long term starter across from Lewan as he comes back from opting out last season. If he doesn't pan out however, Camden could be searching for someone at the position.

1.8 - Rome Eternals - Zion Nelson, OT, Miami
Tyron Smith is getting up there and I'm sure if he's going to continue to be a viable BDL starter going forward. With Greg Little not living up to expectations, Rome returns to the OT well. Nelson is a big and athletic OT who struggled as a freshman but looked much improved this last season.

1.9 - Camden Hood Rats (via New Orleans) - Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
Much like at OT, Camden has a number of his top LBs set to become free agents as well. He's not going to be able to keep everyone so he looks to the draft and takes Alabama's latest top LB prospect.

1.10 - Camden Hood Rats (via Lancaster) - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
With their final first round pick, Camden stays on the defensive side of the ball. They have no long term option to play next to Jamal Adams and Adams is set to become a free agent as well next offseason.

1.11 - Anchorage Trappers (via Death Valley) - Mykael Wright, CB, Oregon
The jury is still out on CJ Henderson after an up and down rookie season. If he continues to struggle to be consistent with his play, Anchorage could look to add another option to their CB group.

1.12 - Gotham Gashslayers - Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M
Gotham's top two TEs are set to be free agents and unless Adam Trautman vastly improves (certainly not impossible), Gotham could be looking to upgrade the position. 

1.13 - Singapore Sentinels - Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Matt Corral is more of a projection right now but he is a really fun player to watch. He's definitely got the tools to also actually be a good QB so we'll see how he develops as well. Tom Brady is in the last year of his contract with Singapore and while Brady could go for a few more years, it'd be smart to have a contingency plan in place because you never know.

1.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Berlin goes back to the SEC WR well here for Burks. Burks is one of the few games I've watched tape on so far and I like him a lot. He's got a really nice size/speed combo with really sure hands. Here's your big WR Rags.

1.15 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Bubba Bolden, S, Miami
Devin McCourty is a free agent next year and with bigger fish to fry with their 3 Ups, Ivory Coast looks to draft a long term partner for Ashtyn Davis here.

1.16 - Cuba Smugglers - Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
Julio Jones and DJ Chark are both FAs and Jones has been aging a bit so Cuba brings Wilson. Wilson constantly flashed when I was watching Chris Olave before he went back to school. Wilson looks to be a really nice playmaker at the next level.

Round 2:
2.1 - Cancun Kaiju (via Raleigh) - David Bell, WR, Purdue
Cancun couldn't find the value they wanted in the draft to add more WR help. The 2022 draft doesn't look quite as strong as the last two depth-wise but has some nice top end options. 

2.2 - Hungary Hippos - Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC
Hungary has an early round pick to play with finally and grabs Drake Jackson. Hungary has invested some picks into this position but still haven't found the difference maker they want.

2.3 - Cancun Kaiju - Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
Richie Incognito is a free agent after this season and might not have long left as a startable BDL level player. Green is extremely talented and could go higher than this. His position drops him and Cancun reaps the benefits.

2.4 - Anchorage Trappers - Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan
I know Anchorage wants to add more help on the edge and I know Anchorage liked Hutchinson before he went back to school. Seems like a nice fit here.

2.5 - Seoul Dragons - Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
Seoul was another team that didn't fulfill their WR needs in the 2021 draft. Olave is gonna fulfill their need as a slot WR and should be a nice WR for their new QB.

2.6 - Antarctica Katabatic Beasts - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
If Okudah doesn't improve next season Antarctica should start looking at other options. He's a Florida player for a certain twin.

2.7 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (via Camden) - Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State
As has been mentioned before, Ivory Coast has a lot of free agents next offseason. They could move on from Nick Chubb in favor of other players and a cheaper option at RB. There are a few different guys who could be vying for the number one RB slot. For now I have Hall here.

2.8 - Rome Eternals - Zion Tupuola-Fetui, EDGE, Washington
Rome just added Jaelen Phillips but unless Davenport turns it around or Dante Fowler lives up to his big contract, Rome could use more help on the other side. ZTF was just starting to get major hype before returning to school.

2.9 - Camden Hood Rats (via New Orleans) - Jerrion Ealy, RB, Ole Miss
Camden takes another RB here in the 2nd round. They go with a RBBC approach but could use a number one RB option to base their rushing game around. RBs are more valued here in the BDL than in real life.

2.10 - Seoul Dragons (via Lancaster) - George Pickens, WR, Georgia
Seoul could stand to take another WR still. Pickens would likely be higher except for the fact that he tore his ACL somewhat recently. He'll likely rise again once his recovery timetable is more set in stone but for now Seoul can afford to take him and let him recover if needed.

2.11 - Death Valley Football Team - John Metchie, WR, Alabama
Death Valley didn't address their need for offensive playmakers in the draft so they grab Alabama's latest WR prospect. Metchie isn't quite as fast as guys like Ruggs or Waddle but has plenty of speed himself.

2.12 - Gotham Gashslayers - Ikem Ekwonu, OT, North Carolina State
Ekwonu is a name to watch out for, I think he's an under the radar guy who could go this high or even a little higher if he puts together another good season. Gotham has some free agents at OT and look for a replacement in the draft.

2.13 - Death Valley Football Team (via Singapore) - Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama
Death Valley could use a potential higher end CB so they grab Jobe here. They've also got a number of CBs set to hit free agency.

2.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Nick Broeker, OT, Ole Miss
Kolton Miller just got paid and while Berlin could pay up, they could also look to the draft for a replacement. Broeker has a lot of potential to be a more well-rounded player than Miller anyways.

2.15 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida
Repeating a common theme, Ivory Coast has way too many free agents next offseason and look to the draft to replace guys they might not be able to resign. Specifically they have Lavonte David and Bobby Okereke set to hit free agency.

2.16 - Cuba Smugglers - Perrion Winfrey, INT, Oklahoma
Arik Armsstead and Cameron Jordan are both set to hit free agency and Cuba needed some help at the position regardless. They take Perrion Winfrey, who is more of a projection at this point. He has the tools to go here and just needs to put it together this upcoming season.

Top players not drafted: JT Daniels, QB, Georgia; Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M; Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson; Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State; Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State; Zach Harrison, EDGE, Ohio State; Nik Bonitto, EDGE, Oklahoma; Brenton Cox, LB, Florida; Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State; Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington; Jordan Battle, S, Alabama

Meant to comment on this days ago, Rack! Thibodeaux is absolutely the pick if we're drafting that high, he's awesome. Don't know most of the guys for next year's class to really comment on the rest other than saying Olave is probably our 2.1 selection.

Matt Corral has been awful so far, don't see him coming anywhere close to the first round. Based on his and JT Daniels' resumes to this point, I'd say they'd be Day 3 prospects at best next year and not really on the BDL radar barring a Zach Wilson level of improvement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Meant to comment on this days ago, Rack! Thibodeaux is absolutely the pick if we're drafting that high, he's awesome. Don't know most of the guys for next year's class to really comment on the rest other than saying Olave is probably our 2.1 selection.

Matt Corral has been awful so far, don't see him coming anywhere close to the first round. Based on his and JT Daniels' resumes to this point, I'd say they'd be Day 3 prospects at best next year and not really on the BDL radar barring a Zach Wilson level of improvement.

I'll disagree with you on Corral. He's certainly not first rounder material yet but I do think he's a guy who could improve his stock this upcoming season. Really though probably like half of those guys won't be considered high picks by the time the draft actually rolls around next year so we'll just see. 

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

Here is last year's 2021 Mock Draft I did right after the draft. Yeah, some guys that didn't quite pan out.

Impressively mocked Ja’Marr Chase to me one pick off... I would have swapped him and Pitts if I would have seen this right before the draft again to give you 100% accuracy haha. Waddle to Rome and Etienne to Cuba. 

3 hours ago, rackcs said:

I'll disagree with you on Corral. He's certainly not first rounder material yet but I do think he's a guy who could improve his stock this upcoming season. Really though probably like half of those guys won't be considered high picks by the time the draft actually rolls around next year so we'll just see. 

Everybody could improve their stock with the coming season. Most won't.

I dunno I feel like people don't really appreciate how much COVID helped offensive players. It's well-known that less practice time benefits the offense. Don't know how you look at guys like Zach Wilson and Matt Corral who were absolute bottom-barrel QBs in 2019 suddenly coming out and having huge games in a shortened season and not view that with a ton of skepticism.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Everybody could improve their stock with the coming season. Most won't.

I dunno I feel like people don't really appreciate how much COVID helped offensive players. It's well-known that less practice time benefits the offense. Don't know how you look at guys like Zach Wilson and Matt Corral who were absolute bottom-barrel QBs in 2019 suddenly coming out and having huge games in a shortened season and not view that with a ton of skepticism.

I obviously meant that I think Corral is someone I view as likely to take the next step, or at least more likely than the average player.

10 hours ago, Blue said:

I think Olave is a Keenan McCardell clone. Great #2, a long and solid career on the outside despite lacking any real "elite" testing number. He's fluid, smooth, physically average, and a great route runner with good hands.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Olave is a Keenan McCardell clone. Great #2, a long and solid career on the outside despite lacking any real "elite" testing number. He's fluid, smooth, physically average, and a great route runner with good hands.

Insert lukic Michael Thomas homerism here 

On 4/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, rackcs said:

1.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Berlin goes back to the SEC WR well here for Burks. Burks is one of the few games I've watched tape on so far and I like him a lot. He's got a really nice size/speed combo with really sure hands. Here's your big WR Rags.

2.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Nick Broeker, OT, Ole Miss
Kolton Miller just got paid and while Berlin could pay up, they could also look to the draft for a replacement. Broeker has a lot of potential to be a more well-rounded player than Miller anyways.

WR could be an option depending on how OBJ comes back, whether Marquise continues to improve, if Aiyuk takes another step, and how Toney looks.  But odds are I would focus on WR later on in the draft.

Unless Kolton regresses, I am 100% locking him up.  

I will probably target edge early next year as DLaw will be a FA, I'll know more about YGM, and we will know if Hendrickson was a waste of money.

• Like 1