Carson Wentz healthy scratch, requests trade

biggie.

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reports are that teams are interested...I THink that there's a good chance that he has positive trade value and they won't have to give anything up

They have to give up something. Otherwise it won’t get approved. So maybe a 2022 7th rounder or something ridiculous like that.

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

for potentially multiple years. Ask @N4L, I tried to make a game of trying to solve the cap problems, and I couldn't really do it without going on for 2 years. If they could do it in a single year, they should absolutely be setting fire to 2021, but I think that they are going to have to june 1 cut guys like Alshon and D-Jax, so they may already be pushing dead money into future years. But if I were them? I'd 100% be trying to go the 49ers / Dolphins route of setting fire to the cap for one year and doing a hard reset. Both of those teams have been very successful in doing that. 

Honestly we'll be fine after 2021, it's just this year we have to cut a lot of older expensive players.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Honestly we'll be fine after 2021, it's just this year we have to cut a lot of older expensive players.

Not if you're pushing dead money into 2022. If you June 1 cut a bunch of people, this becomes problematic. Getting rid of Wentz is a huge part of that though. If you guys can dump him this year, I think you're fine for 2022. I'm assuming you guys move him, despite Andrew Brandt trying to repeatedly double and triple down on the notion that you can't lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Not if you're pushing dead money into 2022. If you June 1 cut a bunch of people, this becomes problematic. Getting rid of Wentz is a huge part of that though. 

Pretty sure you're limited to 2 June 1st designations per offseason. 

The most sensible ones if I recall are Malik Jackson and Alshon.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Pretty sure you're limited to 2 June 1st designations per offseason. 

The most sensible ones if I recall are Malik Jackson and Alshon.

That sounds most likely. I Think Jackson in particular is a big difference. That will push about 15 in dead space to 2022, and you'll have about 12 from Brandon Graham in 2022. So 27 million could be over 10% of your cap in 2022, but that's workable. 

Just now, Forge said:

That sounds most likely. I Think Jackson in particular is a big difference. That will push about 15 in dead space to 2022, and you'll have about 12 from Brandon Graham in 2022. So 27 million could be over 10% of your cap in 2022, but that's workable. 

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Graham. We can cut him this year, and it'd save us not much this year alone but a bit in subsequent years. But if we cut him after next season there's a loss of cap. It's a very strangely structured contract.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Graham. We can cut him this year, and it'd save us not much this year alone but a bit in subsequent years. But if we cut him after next season there's a loss of cap. It's a very strangely structured contract.

You guys should trade him this year. But you haven't and there's no guarantee that you will. I've mentioned this before in other threads about setting fire to 2021 by making these moves. I would 100% do it and hard reset your cap, but not my job on the line.

But if you don't, Howie did the Brees thing with him where he has 3 years of voidable prorated years of bonus after next season which escalate on 2022 cap when his contract expires. So if you guys don't trade him and he finishes his contract through next year with you, you'll have dead money in 2022 for him. The reason you see the loss of cap is because he's not actually under contract after next year - it's the last year of his deal. All other years are ghost years that were used to lower the prorated hits of his bonus money. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Ballard has said, If you make the wrong choice at QB it will set you back 4 years. A decision on Wentz/Rivers/Prescott/Darnold/QB prospect etc. will be made based on a lot of info including whether they value Wentz over the other options. 

Then comes the guaranteed money because acquiring Wentz means picking up some of the guaranteed money from the Eagles which likely means the draft capital won’t be as demanding. Do you trade a 2nd for Darnold? 4th and lots of guaranteed money for Wentz? Is Dak even available? Or stick to your guns and trade up in the draft? So many layers for the Colts.

Is Rivers going to retire? Haven't kept up on that. Do you think they move on from Rivers, no matter what? Is Eason out of the picture, as far as being the starter goes? 

His contract is not bad at all for the team receiving him. In fact it’s a huge bargain, $98M over 4 years I believe, considering you only trade for him if you think his 2020 was a fluke and he’s still franchise QB material. If there’s interest in Carson the player, the contract is really a non-issue here (for the team getting him anyway, big headache for us).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Is Rivers going to retire? Haven't kept up on that. Do you think they move on from Rivers, no matter what? Is Eason out of the picture, as far as being the starter goes? 

Colts signing of Rivers was always meant to be a two year deal but Ballard wanted an initial 1 year deal.
Rivers has said the thought crossed his mind that if the Colts don’t make the playoffs he might retire. 
Colts Twitter is split between those that want Eason as the QBotF while other don’t believe he ever will be.

There is a Zach Wilson contingent, a Kyle Trask contingent and a Dak Prescott contingent 

The one thing we do agree on is no one wants Darnold 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts signing of Rivers was always meant to be a two year deal but Ballard wanted an initial 1 year deal.
Rivers has said the thought crossed his mind that if the Colts don’t make the playoffs he might retire. 
Colts Twitter is split between those that want Eason as the QBotF while other don’t believe he ever will be.

There is a Zach Wilson contingent, a Kyle Trask contingent and a Dak Prescott contingent 

The one thing we do agree on is no one wants Darnold 

Has Eason even played this season? Seems weird the split on him would be 50/50. A lot of folks thought he had a lot of potential, just needed to sit and learn--which he has. 

If Darnold is available, and you guys don't have to enter into anything long term with him...I'm not sure Darnold's a lost cause. Obviously, Wilson or Prescott would be better options, but Darnold hasn't really gotten a square deal with the Jets.