Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Paton does things differently

I expected Paton to be much tighter-lipped as a GM, especially this year, relative to Elway. 

One, Paton has played FO-exec role for a lot longer upon taking job than Elway did and, two, Elway had long-established relationships with a lot of the Denver media in a way that Paton does not having just lived here now for two months as opposed to Elway's nearly 40 years. 

I also don't see us making a lot of huge splashes, even with all the cap space we have. I think Paton is going to emphasize keeping some of the in-house FAs, adding a piece here and there, and then using the draft. This upcoming season is really a wait and see kind of year given that we're likely to have a new owner next year and, barring a playoff run, I think a new coaching staff as well next year. 

• Like 1

Barrett getting 18M AAV and 36M guaranteed - no way Von’s camp agrees to a pay cut.   Restructure where he lets team get cap relief but he loses zero $, or gets more total guaranteed $ in future years, sure.    

If Denver releases him he gets to pick his team and can be confident the market won’t ding him much if at all - and lock in more guaranteed $ overall.  

Either Denver just plays the string, restructures with an extension, or trades / cuts him.   But the market (as predicted) doesn’t give the FO to consider anything else.   The big deadline for 7M of his base salary to guarantee comes Wednesday.    If it’s an offset language deal (where teams must pay back Denver their 2021 salary up to 7M, rest to Von) then no biggie.  But the market has taken away any leverage Denver’s FO might have hoped for a pay cut scenario.   With his legal issue in the clear he has all the leverage.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Barrett getting 18M AAV and 36M guaranteed - no way Von’s camp agrees to a pay cut.   Restructure where he lets team get cap relief but he loses zero $, or gets more total guaranteed $ in future years, sure.    

If Denver releases him he gets to pick his team and can be confident the market won’t ding him much if at all - and lock in more guaranteed $ overall.  

Either Denver just plays the string, restructures with an extension, or trades / cuts him.   But the market (as predicted) doesn’t give the FO to consider anything else.   The big deadline for 7M of his base salary to guarantee comes Wednesday.    If it’s an offset language deal (where teams fort pay back Denver their 2021 salary up to 7M, rest to Von) then no biggie.  But the market has taken away any leverage Denver’s FO might have hoped for.   With his legal issue in the clear he has all the leverage.  

What kind of trade value would Von have @ 1yr/$18M?  Unless Paton is "doing right" by Von why lose the asset w/o any return?

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

What kind of trade value would Von have @ 1yr/$18M?  Unless Paton is "doing right" by Von why lose the asset w/o any return?

I think any trade value increases after the big name FA sign.   The issue of course is what teams need EDGE and pay in picks and pay 18M.  They only need to wait Den FO out first to see if they keep him this week.  

One thing to consider - guaranteeing the 7M Wednesday doesn’t make a trade later on harder.   Since the team acquiring him still takes the salary.   It’s not like the Wed deadline affects a decision to trade.   If the contract doesn’t have offset language the Wed deadline affects only a decision to keep / cut (or extend so they can reduce the cap hit).  That’s the only pressing decision this week. 

Edited by Broncofan

26 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Wouldn't we get a comp pick if he walks? 

After next year when the contract expires, yes.

If we cut him when he's under contract, we get nothing.  The comp pick formula only works for players who are UFA who leave - not when teams cut a player from a signed contract.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

So far, all the $ being spent, the only 2 guys that I think we'd have loved to get are Okwara (young EDGE who won 1-on-1, play masked by being on a terrible D) and Robertson-Harris (good fit in our Fangio scheme).      Okwara is the only value signing IMO at 3/39M.  

The more $ spent on Day 1, the more we're likely to find value in the CB FA market, which I think realistically we have to find 1-2 guys there.  Even if we drafted 1-2 guys, we probably only have 2 guys we can feel comfortable being on the top 5 rotation, and 3-4 at most for the roster right now for 2021 (Callahan & Ojemudia, Bausby for me as the 3rd).

Edited by Broncofan