Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

Next is Ryan Nielsen. My first guess his pool of coaches will be quite small considering he only ever coached in New Orleans but lets see if that assumption is right.

2017 the year he first joins the Saints coaching staff under Dennis Allen. I immediately see an available name, Mike Nolan who was just been fired from the Cowboys. He would probably coach linebackers. The Packers have been linked with him in the past under McCarthy but for whatever reason it never materialised. Maybe he hates the cold! 😄

There's Leigh Torrence who was assistant defensive backs for the Jets last season but I think he is a free agent now. He was with the Packers as an UDFA.

Brian Young and Michael Hodges are linebacker coaches who might follow Nielsen out of the building.

A few years later some new assistants pop up, Cory Robinson with a DB background and Michael Wilhoite who I believe was a LB, Ejiro Evero definitely knows him from 49ers so he's an option for his staff as well.

That's it. Looking further, he was on the Philadelphia Eagles as a player in 2002 and they had a star studded staff consisting of Andy Reid, Jim Johnson, Ron Riveria, Leslie Frazier, Steve Spagnuolo, Sean McDermott and John Harbaugh. Lots of people to lean on for advice.

Something to take note, Aaron Glenn did not bring any of the Saints staff with him, I wonder if Payton forbade him to take one. The same may happen for Nielsen if he becomes our defensive coordinator.

Edited by Chili

2 hours ago, BluePacker said:

I don't think he calls it like either to be honest. It gets lost in the translation sometimes, but Leonard sort of merged the Ryan/Pettine style defense with that implemented by Aranda/Wilcox. Much more cerebral and attacking, emphasis on the defense dictating pace vs being reactionary to the offense. 

Thank you. Im down with that. Not much of a fan for passive defensive. 

21 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Thank you. Im down with that. Not much of a fan for passive defensive. 

Yea, me either. I think he had to cover a bit for lack of athletic ability at CB, so I'd be interested to see how he handles GB's CB situation. 

19 minutes ago, Shish said:

At this point I'd be cool with Chili as the next DC.

Agreed. I'll vote for him as long as he brings me in as a positional coach. I never played football post high school, but watching Saturdays/Sundays, coaching powderpuff football once in college, and the occasional Madden game has to count for something!

32 minutes ago, Chili said:

Get ready for the worst defence of all time baby! 😎

I'm being entirely serious when I say that I would rather we hire you as the DC, put you through a 6 week/600 hour crash course in Defense for Dummies, let the current positional coaches cobble together a call sheet for you, and just have you do your best on game day . . . If the alternative was Jim Haslett

Continuing on with my coaching staff research. I've decided to give Kiffin a closer look.

Obviously the Kiffin family is well connected which means he must be too.

He was an intern at Tampa in 2007 but I wouldn't put much stock in it, he was probably just making and pouring coffee.

He spent a number of years going around college football at Nebraska, USC, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Florida being a defensive line coach for a number of them.

He received his first NFL shot with the 49ers under Shanahan. Looking at the coaching staff over the past 3 seasons the defensive staff had quite a bit of turnover whilst Saleh remained a consistent presence. Salah really did a number on the 49ers staff taking no less than 5 coaches with him, 3 of which are on the defensive side of the ball, severely diluting the pool which Kiffin can work with.

A few names shows up:

Jeff Zgonina - I think he was fired due to unsatisfactory results. They went 4-12 that season so no surprise there.

Daniel Bullocks - He's currently the safeties coach but I think Kiffin can promote him to defensive backs coach if he wants him,

Brian Fleury - Was a defensive quality control coach before switching to offensive quality control last season.

Hopefully there will be some in Cleveland for Kiffin to work with.

Ben Bloom is one name that shows up. Spent a number of years with the Cowboys, 2 as a linebacker coach coaching LVE and Jaylon Smith. Prior to that he was also a defensive assistant for linebackers and defensive line.

Everyone else is extremely inexperienced: Stephen Bravo-Brown, Brandon Lynch and Jeremy Garrett.

The names are not great at all and would be heavily relying on his Kiffin and college connections to build his coaching staff. I think this job is too soon for him anyway.

Edited by Chili

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm being entirely serious when I say that I would rather we hire you as the DC, put you through a 6 week/600 hour crash course in Defense for Dummies, let the current positional coaches cobble together a call sheet for you, and just have you do your best on game day . . . If the alternative was Jim Haslett

I think Haslett was sitting around the fake basement with Mike McCarthy the year he was out of work.  Anyone else think that whole bit with Pelisero was a farce?

I'm not a Wisconsinite. Have absolutely nothing to do with the state. I don't watch or support college football.

Yet I was yelling at my TV for the Packers to draft TJ Watt. He was such an obvious pick especially with our declining pass rush of Matthews and Perry. I wasn't demanding him because of his brother but because of his college highlight tape which looked really really good.

I knew corner was a need but after spending high picks on corners year after year I felt it was time for us to pay attention to the pass rush. 9 years after drafting Matthews we only used a first round pick just once on a pass rusher which was Nick Perry.

Then TT went ahead and drafted King. Why didn't anyone in the war room fight him on this?

Edited by Chili

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not a Wisconsinite. Have absolutely nothing to do with the state. I don't watch or support college football.

Yet I was yelling at my TV for the Packers to draft TJ Watt. He was such an obvious pick especially with our declining pass rush of Matthews and Perry. I wasn't demanding him because of his brother but because of his college highlight tape which looked really really good.

I knew corner was a need but after spending high picks on corners year after year I felt it was time for us to pay attention to the pass rush. At that point we only drafted one pass rusher since the 2009 draft which was Nick Perry. That's 9 years!

Then TT went ahead and drafted King. Why didn't anyone in the war room fight him on this?

Because Watt is significantly lighter than Pettine liked in his defense. Watt is probably down from the 250 he came into the league at. Ours are 270+.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because Watt is significantly lighter than Pettine liked in his defense. Watt is probably down from the 250 he came into the league at. Ours are 270+.

Pettine wasn't the coordinator then. TJ Watt draft was 2017 and Pettine didn't arrive until 2018.

He was perfect for Dom scheme and we passed on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would it matter what someone outside if the organization preferred in an Edge player ?

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Pettine wasn't the coordinator then. TJ Watt draft was 2017 and Pettine didn't arrive until 2018.

He was perfect for Dom scheme and we passed on him.

Edit, you're right. Dom carried one light end (Clay) and one heavy end (Perry/Peppers). Clay was in place and wasn't going anywhere due to contract.