Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

On 1/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, squire12 said:

Looking at some options here 

Brendan Daly  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Daly_(American_football)   KC DL coach.  Was with NE from 2014 through 2018

Karl Dunbar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Dunbar      DL coach with PIT.   worked under Saban at Alabama 2016 and 2017

Dave Merritt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Merritt  Current DB coach with KC.  was with NYG during the 2007 and 2011 Super Bowls

Kacy Rodgers  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kacy_Rodgers     Current DL coach with TB.  Has some experience with Bill Parcells

53 minutes ago, Chili said:

I would love for us to interview Brendan Daly. 4 superbowls with the Patriots and Chiefs, possibly 5 on Sunday. His resume is amazing. He has worked under these coaches, Mike Tomlin, Leslie Frazier, Ken Flajole, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo, all of whom won a superbowl. He has travelled and amassed alot of knowledge, systems, experience and developed relationships along the way all the while winning Superbowls in the process. You really can't get better as a defensive coordinator prospect. Just imagine the defensive coaching staff he could build for us.

Dave Merritt is another coach who is used to winning. He has won 3 superbowls coaching defensive backs with the Giants and Chiefs, possibly 4 on Sunday.

We would be crazy not to interview them. Nobody is raiding the Kansas staff and we have a great opportunity to hand pick the very best.

Daly and Merritt are on my list partly due to those attributes 

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Try understanding, not what I said at all.  Doesn't mean with a talented secondary they aren't going to play on.

Thus we've now emerged at the heart of the original point. We don't know what that looks like. We can assume what he'll do. The team can even ask him and take him on his word about what he'll do. But without having seen it, there is a great degree of uncertainty. Uncertainty is a bad thing.

Leonhard is loaded with uncertainty. All of the candidates have their flaws, and many would argue that uncertainty is the most acceptable of flaws, better than a known flaw. But there's also something to be said for making a safe choice with the defensive depth chart and the entire roster that's currently in place.

LaFleur has to figure out which flaws, along with which strengths, he's comfortable with as his defensive lieutenant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thus we've now emerged at the heart of the original point. We don't know what that looks like. We can assume what he'll do. The team can even ask him and take him on his word about what he'll do. But without having seen it, there is a great degree of uncertainty. Uncertainty is a bad thing.

Leonhard is loaded with uncertainty. All of the candidates have their flaws, and many would argue that uncertainty is the most acceptable of flaws, better than a known flaw. But there's also something to be said for making a safe choice with the defensive depth chart and the entire roster that's currently in place.

LaFleur has to figure out which flaws, along with which strengths, he's comfortable with as his defensive lieutenant. 

Therein is the problem ... who has fatal flaws, who is he comfortable with and confident in.  That's the million dollar question nobody knows but him.  I trust him to make the right decision .. if he does it makes the team very dangerous again.

I trust Gute enough to believe in any DC candidate he hires and this includes Leonhard. My reservations I’ve expressed about him are still going to be there until I see it come together in meaningful games but this front office and this head coach deserve that kind of support. 

4 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

This wide net they are casting for DC kinda demonstrates how little they value the ST coordinator. Didn’t even appear to interview any one outside the org. Seems strange. 

I agree. Obviously in the grand scheme of things DC will be of the highest importance but grabbing a guy we already have on staff, of one f the worst ST in the league seemed rushed. Maybe coach Drayton is a ST genius who was being held back but that is crazy even to type. 

Maybe they knew how many interviews they wanted to have at DC and just decided to put the priority there but that is not the correct way of thinking from my point of view. Anyway, I’ll wholeheartedly support whoever they bring in until I can’t. Big offseason for the team and our young coach. 

8 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I trust Gute enough to believe in any DC candidate he hires and this includes Leonhard. My reservations I’ve expressed about him are still going to be there until I see it come together in meaningful games but this front office and this head coach deserve that kind of support. 

Just a heads up that LaFleur is doing the hiring.

• Like 1

These are my strongest candidates based off who we have interviewed or have interest in, in rank order:

#1 Gray - In house, less time to adapt and implement ideas, MLF chose him, players know him, rep as a good teacher, former DC with mixed results, at least won't be out of his depth, will he bring anything new?

#2 Evero - young, 13 years of experience at the NFL level, worked under Kiffin, Fangio, Capers, Phillips, safeties have played great for him, been in that role for last 4 years, knows MLF, if you are looking outside the org he might be the right guy but does he have 'it'?

#3 Nielson - young, great teacher, up and coming, oversaw great lines in NO and got the talent there playing at a high level, inexperienced only 3 years at the NFL level, is this too soon for him?

#4 Leonard - young, Ryan/Pettine disciple, so consistency there, no NFL coaching experience, biggest risk out of the lot, you have to really be impressed with him to bring him in.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Leonhard, Nielson, Evero, Kiffin are the 4 I'm rooting for.

Don't really want anything to do with Barry, Gray, or Burke.

Harris is a total unknown for me.

Gray needs to stay right where he's at. Good secondary coach. 

• Like 2

Reading the Rams forum, they were rooting for Aubrey Pleasant to take over from Staley. They had high regard for him and he was way ahead of Evero for the DC role. I'm surprised he went to the Lions in pretty much a lateral move. I wonder if the Packers will try to interview him? It would be a little strange that Evero gets a DC role and Pleasant doesn't get a proper promotion

Edited by Brit Pack

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Gray needs to stay right where he's at. Good secondary coach. 

I would love for him and Smith to stay but there will be a shake up. It wouldn’t be unprecedented, Joe Whitt Jr. stayed on in Pettine’s first year along with others but you accept a new coach will set up their staff as they like. 
Also, if Gray doesn’t get the lead role, he has to swallow some pride to stay where he is and in the case of Leonhard, coach under one of his former players at Buf. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but factors in to him wanting to stay.