Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good post.

The Lions have #7 this year. Perhaps the additional ammo allows them to move higher and grab a "franchise QB", or perhaps they'll think they can develop a QB at #7 behind Goff for two years.

The only thing about #7 - you have no idea which QB you are getting.   If the Lions were absolutely locked into either Fields, Wilson or Lance - they'd have wanted the security of 1.7 and 1.8 to allow them to make a big move up.   Now, we can say "they'd be happy with any of them" - but that's seldom how FO's work.   Usually once they have 1 guy they want, they target them.   

The #4 guy might not even be there at 1.7, if ATL thinks long-term and CIN/PHI decide to move down given the interest QB-needy teams have in moving up.   To me, if DET was all-in on this QB class, they'd have taken CAR's offer.   And I'm of the belief that Detroit will likely move away from Goff, it's just a matter of when - but this might tip off they hope to rebuild his value with 2021, and then go looking for a draft candidate in next year's draft instead.

50 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Would anyone accept two bottom 5 1st round picks to move up to number 8? Serious question. I actually dont think so, but that's how it has to be viewed. 

I think maybe, just maybe, the Lions are considering the possibility that Stafford won't be all that with the Rams and those picks will be higher than 25. Mayyybe they are placing just a little bit of a bet on that.

Just now, Superduperman said:

I think maybe, just maybe, the Lions are considering the possibility that Stafford won't be all that with the Rams and those picks will be higher than 25. Mayyybe they are placing just a little bit of a bet on that.

Nahhhh they're smarter than that

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Nahhhh they're smarter than that

That comment makes no sense.

They know Stafford better than the Rams do. If he turns out great, then fantastic, we still got two late 1st rounders. But if he is still not a big-game guy, or if he's hurt, then that value goes up, and up.

Just now, Superduperman said:

That comment makes no sense.

They know Stafford better than the Rams do. If he turns out great, then fantastic, we still got two late 1st rounders. But if he is still not a big-game guy, or if he's hurt, then that value goes up, and up.

If Goff got this team to 10 wins, I feel confident about Stafford improving upon that barring unforeseen circumstances(major injury to key players). This season we would have had th 23rd pick. Let's use that as the floor.

Two 23rd overalls and a 3rd (that we got from Holmes). Still great value, but from a Rams perspective they're seeing those firsts as being 28-32, which are essentially 2nd round talents. 

This trade is really fun, at least for Lions and Rams fans, because we're going to be arguing about this for two and a half years, and we won't get even a shadow of an answer about it till we see games this fall because it's all about how Stafford plays for LA. Look forward to it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Two 23rd overalls and a 3rd (that we got from Holmes). Still great value, but from a Rams perspective they're seeing those firsts as being 28-32, which are essentially 2nd round talents. 

I wonder what the plan is at QB in 2023. Do they try to extend Stafford? Will Stafford want another big deal before he retires? Will the Rams try to develop a 2nd round or later QB? Go after a free agent in 2023?

This is definitely a win now or in 2022 deal but still got to wonder where they go from there.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The only thing about #7 - you have no idea which QB you are getting.   If the Lions were absolutely locked into either Fields, Wilson or Lance - they'd have wanted the security of 1.7 and 1.8 to allow them to make a big move up.   Now, we can say "they'd be happy with any of them" - but that's seldom how FO's work.   Usually once they have 1 guy they want, they target them.   

The #4 guy might not even be there at 1.7, if ATL thinks long-term and CIN/PHI decide to move down given the interest QB-needy teams have in moving up.   To me, if DET was all-in on this QB class, they'd have taken CAR's offer.   And I'm of the belief that Detroit will likely move away from Goff, it's just a matter of when - but this might tip off they hope to rebuild his value with 2021, and then go looking for a draft candidate in next year's draft instead.

Although true, I think it's possible that the Lions could want a certain QB and decided to go with LA's offer. Not only do they have a proven veteran in Goff to start right away, but they could always offer the Lions' 2022 1st round pick (a high pick, undoubtedly) and #7 to jump up.

With four 1st round picks in the next two years, they have plenty of ammo to make a move. They also have Goff.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wonder what the plan is at QB in 2023. Do they try to extend Stafford? Will Stafford want another big deal before he retires? Will the Rams try to develop a 2nd round or later QB? Go after a free agent in 2023?

This is definitely a win now or in 2022 deal but still got to wonder where they go from there.

It really depends how this all plays out in the next two seasons.

Let's say Stafford gets ONE ring in the next two years, he likely will push for one last big pay day.

Let's say we fall short, but come close. He will likely take an extension to keep the window going another year.

Let's say we flop this season and fail completely (5-8 wins). Then we have to consider a development QB in 2022 draft in the 2nd round to sit one year behind Stafford. 

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good post.

The Lions have #7 this year. Perhaps the additional ammo allows them to move higher and grab a "franchise QB", or perhaps they'll think they can develop a QB at #7 behind Goff for two years.

This is my thought.  If they have 8, do they need to give 7 and 8 to get into the top 4?  That sounds steep and I probably wouldn't want to make that deal.  But I would give 7 and a 1st next year (either ours or the rams).  Then we also still have that extra third and and extra 1st.  Plus Goff, who I know many hate but he has some value as a starting QB in this league even if its just to get us through these two rough years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The report is the Rams are already trying to tack 1 year onto his deal to help with the cap. I'd assume the Rams vision is he's the guy for 4 years which aligns with the contracts signed for guys like Woods, Kupp, Donald, Ramsey.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:05 PM, candyman93 said:

Rams won this trade. They’re super bowl contenders if they fix that offensive line.

Not saying I don’t like this for Detroit though. Great job by them.

I disagree completely. They're going to lose talent via free agency (as every team does) but they have zero high picks to replace it, how are they going to improve the OL and other holes when they never have first round picks? Makes it a lot harder. Rams better hope they win in the next year or two because it'll be all downhill from there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

32 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It really depends how this all plays out in the next two seasons.

Let's say Stafford gets ONE ring in the next two years, he likely will push for one last big pay day.

Let's say we fall short, but come close. He will likely take an extension to keep the window going another year.

Let's say we flop this season and fail completely (5-8 wins). Then we have to consider a development QB in 2022 draft in the 2nd round to sit one year behind Stafford. 

32 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The report is the Rams are already trying to tack 1 year onto his deal to help with the cap. I'd assume the Rams vision is he's the guy for 4 years which aligns with the contracts signed for guys like Woods, Kupp, Donald, Ramsey.

Just to be clear, the injuries Stafford experienced in 2019 (transverse process fracture) & 2020 (rib injury, presumed fractures) aren't directly related - nor are they ones with long-term risk to those injuries alone.    If that's the case, and there's no long-term flag in his medicals - with his arm talent, his chances of being at peak physical form are excellent for the next 4-5 years.

The guys who fade at age 35-37 are guys with average (Ryan showing cracks now) to below average arm talent (Rivers, Eli at those ages), or have had a major arm injury (Big Ben).    Stafford isn't that type of arm talent, he's a top-level arm talent physically.  That should age well.

Now, Stafford could also be tough enough that he's been playing through chronic injuries that we don't know about.  And why the rib injury was the final straw this year.  That hidden injury could jeopardize Stafford playing at a high level into his age 35-37 years at peak levels like we've seen with A-Rod, Brees, Brady (he's kinda out there on his own lol).    That's the one reason (besides Lock, although I'm not there, Paton might have been) that DEN might not have committed to 1.9, 3.7 or 1.9 & Lock for Stafford alone.    If the medicals checked out though, I'd still have been on board.   

Today's NFL definitely protects QB's longevity, so if there's no chronic injury flag already there, then the potential Stafford could play at peak level for 4-5 years can't be dismissed either.  In that event, a SB win during ANY part of Stafford's tenure as starting QB for LAR would be judged a win.    But also the point that LAR may not be simply getting 2 years - they're getting 2 years at value prices, but might be in line for 4-5 years of Stafford's peak QB skills.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, max said:

While I agree it’s doubtful Stafford would have made the difference in GB, I believe he most certainly would have made the difference in Miami and against the Jets and even the Niners. The point here is if the Rams win 3 of those 4 games, they aren’t playing in GB, they are playing at home. And I like our chances a hell of a lot more with Stafford at home against the Packers, than with Goff in GB. And maybe Rams would of had the bye, and Donald is healthy at home against GB. I think those bad losses to weak teams had a lot to do with McVay wanting the move. 

Playing at GB or at home doesn't make a difference. It's about random injuries at the worst time. That's what sunk us. There's no guarantees Stafford doesn't post some duds too. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

I disagree completely. They're going to lose talent via free agency (as every team does) but they have zero high picks to replace it, how are they going to improve the OL and other holes when they never have first round picks? Makes it a lot harder. Rams better hope they win in the next year or two because it'll be all downhill from there.

What impact has not having 1st round picks the last 4 years had on the Rams success?

*I'll give you a hint, it hasn't ;) 

My only concern is replacing Whitworth at LT, but he seems in it for one more season. We still have a 2nd and two 3rds to draft IOL. Also, Snead has a habit of trading down multiple times in the mid rounds to acquire picks. 

We lose talent every (Fowler, Littleton, Joyner). This year we will lose Floyd and JJIII. Then we get comp picks for losing them. And the great thing about having Aaron Donald  and Jalen Ramsey is that whoever you put around them increases their level of play just by default. Fowler had career year behind Donald, got paid, did $hit. Clay Matthews had 10 sacks in a bounce back year then flop. When you have a core group of guys to build around, it raises the level of play around them and also allows us to build with mid round talent through comp picks. It's worked thus far.