Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

That's basically you agreeing with me that Brady was the difference between a 7-9 team and a SB winner.

Brady did play great these playoffs, though. And I disagree that they didn't need him to play great. Take away one bad half and he threw for 10 TDs and 0 INTs. 10/3 even if you do include it. First team to score 30+ ppg in four games of a single playoff run.

In the Washington game he was good. Against the Saints? He benefited a lot from the Saints turnovers and field position. Packers he was up and down. Tonight just efficient. 

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

WR's do those things directly in an opponents face all the time. In fact, Tyreek Hill routinely shows the peace sign right in a defenders' face while running into the end zone lol

I'm not saying I'm against it, I want it allowed both ways.

Nah, he's normally like 10+ yards away. He did get flagged for it once because he did do it too close to a DB going into the end zone.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I've seen so much questioning of the timeouts, but we've done exactly that all year, and been praised for it. It's the aggressive mentality you should have with an offense like this. Don't let the other team just roll into halftime, get the ball back and score. It has worked throughout the past two years for us. You don't make calls as a coach expecting your DBs to get back to back DPIs for like 60 penalty yards to get the other team to the 1 yard line.

If the D gets the stop, it's a brilliant call, as we could end up with back to back chances to score, and have a quick take back of the lead.

I don't have a problem with that - but then to go for 3 down 21-6 in the 3Q, THAT is where I have a problem with.  Reid played it 1 way in the 2Q, then another the very next drive.    You have to go down swinging with the same fearless mentality.  The diff between 15 and 12 was negligible.   If you believed enough in the O to try to get the ball back, you give Mahomes a shot to get a TD, and make it a 1-score game.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:
2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And none of this is really touching on just how bad Mahomes was tonight and how downright wreckless he was with the football. It looked like watching Jay Cutler.

And this is just a bad take.

Yeah. Um. What.

Mahomes was throwing dimes while diving and scrambling from pressure. He had a few drops that prevented some ridiculous highlight reel plays that we're used to seeing.

He had that one play where he was parallel to the ground and he threw a TD pass that got dropped.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I still don't agree that was the best course of action given your QB has a toe injury and he was very close to getting injured several times. I get that you need to make plays and move the ball, but holy moly that looked really bad.

EDIT: Also, "tried some of that early" kinda indicates they wanted to just test the waters and it wasn't actually their gameplan to get the ball out quick when they have major OL issues, and that's kinda the point here.

You think Ried wanted to use his script plays to just "test the waters"? I can't buy that. 

It's a statement knowing that Bowles is going to be coming with the heavy blitz and take advantage against a banged up OL.

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Let's not forget that throw in the end zone on the free play, that was right on target, where Winfield (I think) made a good play to come across the field and bat it away. And David had a hell of a game too.

This is what I'm saying. Mahomes is NOT without fault but tonight was more his OL, dropped passes, and good defense IMO.  

It's not like that play was an amazing play by Mahomes though, he had a clear pocket IIRC and made a good pass that a player of his caliber makes all the time, and a defender made a good play knocking it down.

My biggest problem is with people acting like Mahomes was held back by his team tonight in some way, that's the narrative that's forming and I just disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You think Ried wanted to use his script plays to just "test the waters"? I can't buy that. 

It's a statement knowing that Bowles is going to be coming with the heavy blitz and take advantage against a banged up OL.

Well it sure didn't seem like their gameplan was built around quick passes and neutralizing the Bucs' pass rush.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I've seen so much questioning of the timeouts, but we've done exactly that all year, and been praised for it. It's the aggressive mentality you should have with an offense like this. Don't let the other team just roll into halftime, get the ball back and score. It has worked throughout the past two years for us. You don't make calls as a coach expecting your DBs to get back to back DPIs for like 60 penalty yards to get the other team to the 1 yard line.

If the D gets the stop, it's a brilliant call, as we could end up with back to back chances to score, and have a quick take back of the lead.

The only reason why I am questioning it is because I didn’t think there was enough time left to do something with the ball. Wasn’t there like less than 50 secs left?

Just now, Pats#1 said:

My biggest problem is with people acting like Mahomes was held back by his team tonight in some way, that's the narrative that's forming and I just disagree.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. Because he was held back ALOT by his team tonight IMO.

6 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

2 dropped passes didn't lose the Chiefs this game.

Not sure why this keeps being said, Mahomes was trying to play hero ball, but wasn't actually following through. He wasn't throwing dimes and having constant drops. He had 2 great throws while falling down and that has somehow been extrapolated across all 4 quarters. 

He missed multiple throws early on, was constantly pressured and uncomfortable, and could never really get into a rhythm. The Chiefs played bad as a whole, including their QB. 

We can be intelligent enough to discuss cause and effect. Did Mahomes play poorly? Sure. Is there a gigantic 5 man pile of incompetence that caused that? Yes sir. Tampa played good D. No one was getting open consistently enough to run short passes consistently. Our run game sucked all year. Devin White and Lavonte David destroyed the few options and screens we called. What does that leave? I'm not saying hero ball worked. But I'm saying we tried plenty of stuff, and none of it worked. I posted the Tweet because I was debating with Flacco earlier that we dropped back too much given the OL. But we tried plenty of other things with this OL, and none of those worked either. So you put it in Mahomes's hands and hope. Far too much was asked of him, he did everything physically possible to deliver, and we were just too outmatched. Is what it is. The dropped passes didn't lose the game, the sheer dominance of our OL did. That was the story of the game, 100%. Like, even early in the game, you had two deflected screens as he was trying to throw around lineman, you have the speed option that Devin White destroyed, you had the dropped TD by Hill, the dropped third down pass by Kelce, Hardman killing off routes and not looking for the ball, the deflected INT. It wasn't just, Mahomes played bad because Mahomes played bad. Mahomes played bad because he was disrupted to the point where it is unreasonable to ask him to play well.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Nah, he's normally like 10+ yards away. He did get flagged for it once because he did do it too close to a DB going into the end zone.

He did that and backflipped into the endzone. Of course our guys were gonna pounce on the next opportunity to shut that **** down.