Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

Just now, showtime said:

Overall the Chiefs just looked off tonight. Guys were dropping passes that they normally would catch and Mahomes had way more than his fair share of poorly thrown balls. They almost looked unprepared and unready to play. The punter was downright horrendous.

They read @Kirill's posts and it went to their heads

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

The only reason why I am questioning it is because I didn’t think there was enough time left to do something with the ball. Wasn’t there like less than 50 secs left?

That has historically been enough for us. At least for a FG, anyway. It was 14-6. 14-9 going into half feels nicer.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No it's not. Chucking up passes to the middle of the field across his body all night long. Several of which should have (or were) picked. Terrible accuracy even when not being pressured. Running 30 yards backwards. He was not good tonight at all.

IIRC the passes he chucked in desperation were either 3rd / 4th down plays.   He didn't put the ball in jeopardy on 1st/2nd down that I recall.

As for the dropbacks, that's literally been Mahomes MO the whole season long.  It's how he creates more time.  The difference is it didn't lead to any open receivers.

Mahomes didn't play great - but he made some unbelievable plays at least 4x that frankly the receivers whiffed on.  To be clear - KC still loses even if they make half of them, and you can't expect all to go his way (Hill TD, Kelce drive-extender, Darrel Williams drop were 3 huge ones, but there were 1-2 more I haven't listed that I recall happening).   And the big at-risk throws he made are ones he does all the time.   And the iffiest ones were on 3rd/4th down.   So there's context there.

Mahomes didn't play great - but he wasn't the nearly the problem tonight. 

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well it sure didn't seem like their gameplan was built around quick passes and neutralizing the Bucs' pass rush.

Sure it did. Mahomes just didn't have the time to execute it because he was running for his life and when he did have time his receivers were dropping the ball or the defense was making a good play. 

Then the score got so out of hand that the CHiefs /Reid were forced to play in desperation mode. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't have a problem with that - but then to go for 3 down 21-6 in the 3Q, THAT is where I have a problem with.  Reid played it 1 way in the 2Q, then another the very next drive.    You have to go down swinging with the same fearless mentality.  The diff between 15 and 12 was negligible.   If you believed enough in the O to try to get the ball back, you give Mahomes a shot to get a TD, and make it a 1-score game.

I will agree with you on the FG. Wanton aggression has gotten us this far. It should've stayed that way. Once we hit 21-6, should've been TD or bust. Unless it was like 4th and 24 or something.

• Like 1

I have been on Leonard Fournette pretty hard during his Jags career and the start of his time in Tampa.

I gave him credit for turning into Playoff Larry Lenny weeks ago but wow, he took it to another level tonight.

• He bounced out of losses and turned them into gains.
  • He found the holes that were there.
  • He was patient when he needed to be.
  • He ran over people or shoved them back.
  • He made some blocks when needed
  • He was slippery out of the backfield with sure hands.
  • He got the max out of his receptions.
  • He took one to the house.

Congrats, SB Champ Playoff Larry!  Lenny!

Edited by SkippyX

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

In the Washington game he was good. Against the Saints? He benefited a lot from the Saints turnovers and field position. Packers he was up and down. Tonight just efficient. 

He capitalized against the Saints, turning turnovers into TDs. Had a great 1st half and bad 2nd half vs GB. And played great tonight by taking what the D gave him, throwing the ball quickly against an aggressive defense, and making the right throws. You don't have to make SportsCenter highlight circus throws to play great. Ask Rodgers, he had arguably the best year of his career this season by playing within the offense more and taking what the D gave him rather than needlessly extending every play.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We can be intelligent enough to discuss cause and effect. Did Mahomes play poorly? Sure. Is there a gigantic 5 man pile of incompetence that caused that? Yes sir. Tampa played good D. No one was getting open consistently enough to run short passes consistently. Our run game sucked all year. Devin White and Lavonte David destroyed the few options and screens we called. What does that leave? I'm not saying hero ball worked. But I'm saying we tried plenty of stuff, and none of it worked. I posted the Tweet because I was debating with Flacco earlier that we dropped back too much given the OL. But we tried plenty of other things with this OL, and none of those worked either. So you put it in Mahomes's hands and hope. Far too much was asked of him, he did everything physically possible to deliver, and we were just too outmatched. Is what it is. The dropped passes didn't lose the game, the sheer dominance of our OL did. That was the story of the game, 100%. Like, even early in the game, you had two deflected screens as he was trying to throw around lineman, you have the speed option that Devin White destroyed, you had the dropped TD by Hill, the dropped third down pass by Kelce, the deflected INT. It wasn't just, Mahomes played bad because Mahomes played bad. Mahomes played bad because he was disrupted to the point where it is unreasonable to ask him to play well.

I agree with this.....it's just that no other QB has gotten this level of "understanding" immediately after losing a game that the vast majority of people had you favored in.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

He did that and backflipped into the endzone. Of course our guys were gonna pounce on the next opportunity to shut that **** down.

Look man, I'm just explaining what is and isn't a penalty. I'm not interested in what degrees of swagger are seen as acceptable or justified and not.

It's a taunting penalty to do something straight into somebody's face. It's not to do it as a celebration on your own. Winfield could've run off the field holding a peace sign and wouldn't have been flagged. It's a simple distinction.

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Sure it did. Mahomes just didn't have the time to execute it because he was running for his life and when he did have time his receivers were dropping the ball. 

His receivers were not dropping the ball on quick passes. Come on. That did not happen.

The "drops" were on 2-3 super long and spectacular plays by Mahomes, but they were not like open, timed route drops at all. Like there was no Wes Welker drop in this game.

Edited by wackywabbit

Just now, Jakuvious said:

I will agree with you on the FG. Wanton aggression has gotten us this far. It should've stayed that way. Once we hit 21-6, should've been TD or bust. Unless it was like 4th and 24 or something.

Yeah, my earlier point was that if you are going down fearless aggressive O in the 2Q with the TO's, you go fearless aggressive O on 4th and 6 at the 19 down 15 on the next drive.   Or you don't call the TO's and accept a 14-6 deficit in the 2Q.  Reid had to play it consistently either way.