NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

14 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Why wouldn’t he be an all NBA defender anywhere he went? I really don’t get that argument. Offensively? Sure. Defensively? He can go anywhere and he’ll make a team much better defensively 

Because his speciality is not locking guys down on perimeter or protecting the rim, or winning any kind of 1v1 game besides post ups. It’s in his call outs, help D, pick and roll D... just team D in a nutshell I’d say and being capable of guarding 1-5. That lets him elevate good units to great, but I don’t think there’s any lifting bad units, and if you are playing w/ bums, it’s a lot harder to put that talent on display the same way, say, Gobert can always protect the rim, or Leonard can always hold his own if you glue him to 1 guy.

I also came to that conclusion just based on these last year 2 seasons. Sure, maybe it is just his loss of athleticism/injuries and he did become a much worse defender than when he was regularly in running for DPOY, but the pieces around him are a lot worse and I think that’s the key, he was playing w/ G leaguers last year. By any measure he was not a top defender last year, far from it. This year he is once again looking strong but is not really in the DPOY race is he? (top 5 DBPM but actually has negative defensive on/off court, around 6th/7th in odds). 

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

That'd be surprising if that's all it took to get a 20 PPG, very good shooting wing.

i'd agree kinda. two month rental and they don't have to take ANY salary back. seems like the goal is get the books as low as possible and get whatever draft capital they can now. i was hoping they'd be able to maybe get a young lotto ticket like nesmith or langford instead but whatever like when orlando sniped tobias in the redick rental deal with the bucks.

8 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It's a nice haul for Magic, mainly the 1sts but Carter could still live up to his draft slot, very young.

Why are Bulls going all in on getting a 6-8 seed?

Carter has been awful for us. With lavine we was never going to suck enough to get a top 5  pick. Drafting 7 or 8 and getting this ok players was getting old. I rather have Vuc. 

8 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

in what way? break him down for me since he's been in the league if you got time. i liked him at duke, so i'm surprised it's not gone well 

https://theathletic.com/2447396/2021/03/13/bulls-wendell-carter-jr-hasnt-met-expectations-and-he-knows-it?source=user-shared-article

"It’s not just Carter’s inconsistent statistical output — or the sometimes attention-grabbing numbers of his opponents — that’s troubling but how his performances have looked. There have been nights his effort has been absent, which he conceded following the season opener against Atlanta, stretches where he’s appeared disinterested, periods of bunch fouling, inexplicable offensive hesitation and matchups he’s been overpowered in."

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

https://theathletic.com/2447396/2021/03/13/bulls-wendell-carter-jr-hasnt-met-expectations-and-he-knows-it?source=user-shared-article

"It’s not just Carter’s inconsistent statistical output — or the sometimes attention-grabbing numbers of his opponents — that’s troubling but how his performances have looked. There have been nights his effort has been absent, which he conceded following the season opener against Atlanta, stretches where he’s appeared disinterested, periods of bunch fouling, inexplicable offensive hesitation and matchups he’s been overpowered in."

Chicago's lack of playmaking has stunted the growth of Wendell and Lauri. I wouldn't be very interested in playing for Chicago either.