What are you thinking about?

pwny

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Winter tires are very much a common thing in MN. Which reminds me I need to switch mine soon. 

Common?  Well maybe for certain people that go off-roading or hunting or something deep in the woods.  My brother does not do it, my parents never did it, my grandparents never did it.  I did hear of putting chains on tractors before and even cars back in the day but never literally having a totally different set of four tires sitting in the garage just for winter use.

Guess I was never that special or my family was never that rich.  ;o)

Maybe if you live out in the middle of nowhere it would be a much bigger deal but when roads get plowed within a few hours of a snowfall I am not that worried about it.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Driving the highways in a blizzard is never really fun.  Getting stranded is definitely a real danger, though they very rarely actually refuse to send help.  It can just take a while to get there if you're hundreds of miles from anywhere and a bunch of other people are also stranded.  Snow is also usually so deep in the ditches that you can't exactly run the car and heater without asphyxiating...without doing some shoveling to clear around the exhaust a bit.

Sounds like a lot of...improvisation.  Nice that you were able to get a lot of it from the ground though.  I've worked a bit with pros doing it from up in a picker, and it's definitely a lot of things to make sure you're keeping track of.  Especially if they're kind of tangled like that.  Have to be really sure of how something is going to fall.  lol.  While dealing with a chainsaw and other tools in a tight space with cumbersome harnesses and everything.  Seems like a whole lot of not very fun to me.

Rarely refuse help?  Maybe I am thinking of major interstate highways, there is a big one from Minnesota to South Dakota and I totally recall last year them closing the road and putting down the gates.  And if one crosses those gates they will not exactly run out and get you right away till it clears, so you would be stuck.  Those are more open areas with almost zero visibility and blowing/drifting snow.  

As for the chainsaw, I enjoy cutting up wood, and sure holding a chainsaw above ones head is not great but at least I was not off the ground.  Using a picker bucket would be the safe way no question as long as one could get to it all but not sure that would have worked in this area.  Too many twisting trees all together and laying on each other, but one by one they came down for the most part.  Real key is get it where the saw will not pinch, once that is the case one can just cut like usually and the log just drops.  Had a cant hook I made the handle for which helped along with an old adze. 

Undercutting with a chainsaw is big, even with little branches.  For sure with big logs laterally laying across, then when cutting through from the top after the blade will not pinch and the log should just fall.  

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Went on Ebay, bought a bunch of old video game magazines from the late 90s. No idea why, just wanted to read some old reviews and stuff lol. 

I have the first couple years of Nintendo Power. They were in a crate when we bought our college house.

We instantly grabbed an emulator with all NES games debating the Power Rankings. (on our monster 48in 3 light tube projection tv)

nintendo-power-high-score.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I have the first couple years of Nintendo Power. They were in a crate when we bought our college house.

We instantly grabbed an emulator with all NES games debating the Power Rankings. (on our monster 48in 3 light tube projection tv)

nintendo-power-high-score.jpg

Got a modded 360 with hundreds of NES and SNES games on it. Best part is you can save in any game you want wherever you want up to 3 profiles. So the old Super Marios, Metroid, and all the other old ones that could couldn't save were fine, or if you had to find a spot to save like on the Final Fantasy games you could just do it wherever. I use to get my kids a ton of lives on Donkey Kong Country and then save it for them in front of harder levels. If you went through a bunch of lives you just reloaded the save with 90+ lives. Kids were damn spoiled   lol 

Also I loved the stories in the old Nintendo Powers. The Legend of Zelda comics were amazing in particular. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Got a modded 360 with hundreds of NES and SNES games on it. Best part is you can save in any game you want wherever you want up to 3 profiles. So the old Super Marios, Metroid, and all the other old ones that could couldn't save were fine, or if you had to find a spot to save like on the Final Fantasy games you could just do it wherever. I use to get my kids a ton of lives on Donkey Kong Country and then save it for them in front of harder levels. If you went through a bunch of lives you just reloaded the save with 90+ lives. Kids were damn spoiled   lol 

Also I loved the stories in the old Nintendo Powers. The Legend of Zelda comics were amazing in particular. 

Couldnt get mine into NES games. They started out with the Gamecube. At that time, I was ordering game bundles off EBay like 12games for 15 bucks. People getting rid of them for the Wii/PS4 gen.

Games seem to be worth something now. But one of the kids took it to a friends house, left it for them to use. And they moved to Florida. SOBs... 😆

• Like 1

Is it normal for an oral surgeon to not knock you all the way out for impacted wisdom teeth removal surgery? Anesthetic and laughing gas is all I'm going to get apparently. If anyone has got any experience with that and can tell me their recovery time too, that'd be helpful. My surgery is 12 days before an event I'd really like to go to that involves eating and drinking, but I haven't bought tickets yet since I have no idea what kind of shape I'll be in.

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Is it normal for an oral surgeon to not knock you all the way out for impacted wisdom teeth removal surgery? Anesthetic and laughing gas is all I'm going to get apparently. If anyone has got any experience with that and can tell me their recovery time too, that'd be helpful. My surgery is 12 days before an event I'd really like to go to that involves eating and drinking, but I haven't bought tickets yet since I have no idea what kind of shape I'll be in.

I just had the local Anesthesia when i had two of them removed.  I drove myself home after the procedure and made a couple stops along the way.  The first couple days i was pretty limited with eating/drinking - i didn’t want to open my mouth more than a couple centimeters to eat anything.  But if that event of yours is 12 days after i think that is way more than enough time to recover.

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That’s all I had and mine were quick and easy… same deal as above, drove home when it was done.

just follow the care routine and be gentle with the blood clots, I didn’t have issues. I even lost a clot which they say can lead to extreme pain, but it formed again for me overnight 

I don’t think it was even a week before I was back to normal 

Edited by Dome

10 hours ago, Dome said:

That’s all I had and mine were quick and easy… same deal as above, drove home when it was done.

just follow the care routine and be gentle with the blood clots, I didn’t have issues. I even lost a clot which they say can lead to extreme pain, but it formed again for me overnight 

I don’t think it was even a week before I was back to normal 

13 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I just had the local Anesthesia when i had two of them removed.  I drove myself home after the procedure and made a couple stops along the way.  The first couple days i was pretty limited with eating/drinking - i didn’t want to open my mouth more than a couple centimeters to eat anything.  But if that event of yours is 12 days after i think that is way more than enough time to recover.

Thanks guys. That seems to be the overwhelming consensus, but my wife had a bad time healing when she got hers out over a decade ago and so I think she is preparing me for the worst.

I had all 4 pulled in the single procedure with the cocktail: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/273886

No problem with that. 

Big problem was with Percocet. I didn't know at that time I have a severe intolerance for opiate pills and got violently ill. The body shakes and projectile vomiting was worse than post op pain. I couldn't open my mouth and the expulsion had to go through my nose. I have never taken that drug again. That was just my experience. It is considered "rare" in medical literature. Individual results will vary.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Thanks guys. That seems to be the overwhelming consensus, but my wife had a bad time healing when she got hers out over a decade ago and so I think she is preparing me for the worst.

I don’t remember much pain at all after my procedure and I would’ve just been on Tylenol for pain, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

talk to your dentist but IIRC they recommended a water pick for cleaning after the first few days…  I didn’t do this and lost a blood clot trying to use a very gentle brush.

They’ll go over all that too but it’s really your biggest concern, you can lose the clot and get a dry socket which is apparently one of the worst pains you can feel. If you lose a clot you go back in and they’ll rough you up to make it bleed again, then send you home with another wad of gauze.

I did what my dentist recommended if I lose a clot, I just brushed a bit more to get it bleeding, then used a teapot to rinse with warm salt water and packed with gauze, in the morning I had a new clot. Painless, just nerve wracking. 

really worst case scenario is you have to go back in for a re-bleeding lol. 

and changing your diet the first few days sucks 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, Forge said:

Went on Ebay, bought a bunch of old video game magazines from the late 90s. No idea why, just wanted to read some old reviews and stuff lol. 

This is a joy I've recently discovered as well. 

It's hard to explain to people because I don't have a particular hobby or interest tied to any of the magazines, and it's not a nostalgia thing because my 'Springtime of Youth' took place in the 2010s. I just love looking at magazines from the 80s-Early 2000s. Men's, Gaming, Lifestyle, Fashion, Card, Tech, etc. 

• Like 1