What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 12/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, Forge said:

Mint chocolate chip ice cream that isn't green is an unholy abomination. 

What if Peppermint?

Because we all know that the peppermint plant is naturally Red and White.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:59 AM, Tugboat said:

But also what on earth kind of team/rink were they playing?  How do you even pull that off?  😆 Like strategically...it's so rare because more often than not, you bail on even trying for that because it's basically impossible.  Start throwing guards or peeling your own rocks so you don't get in trouble.  Only way to do it is if the other team basically flashes, burns, or somehow horrifically misses every rock.  And even then, are they not playing with some sort of free guard zone/X rock rule that tends to dictate early end strategy?  How'd they all end up in the rings?  lol.

The other team's first rock was a high corner guard so they immediately went into the house behind it, and just kept putting stones in.

The killer was that the opposing skip's last stone picked badly and ended up wide open for the hit instead of being buried or having backing. 

The 8-ender was in the 4th end (starts at 37:00):

On 12/2/2023 at 11:49 AM, D82 said:

35,000 members at one time and now we're lucky to get 100 on 

Had this convo in the Browns subforum.

My conclusion: niche message boards while ultra popular 15 years ago, are slowly dying and losing users to Reddit (because its a all encompassing message board with an app) and the birth of Social Media. Message boards were social media before social media and once that got rolling in the mid-late 2000's, social media became a asteroid heading directly towards message boards.

They will always have a place in the lives of die hards and the 30+ year old crowd who typically uses less social media, but I dont think they will be growing its user count anytime soon.

At this point its a dated form of communication only used by elder Millennials and GenX who grew up with them. You have more tight knit communities of people rather than a bunch of random strangers screaming into the abyss like with social apps.

I have been using message boards since I was a teen and never really adopted social media (mostly because I dont care about what people are doing that I know)--so I at least will be staying here 😎

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Had this convo in the Browns subforum.

My conclusion: niche message boards while ultra popular 15 years ago, are slowly dying and losing users to Reddit (because its a all encompassing message board with an app) and the birth of Social Media. Message boards were social media before social media and once that got rolling in the mid-late 2000's, social media became a asteroid heading directly towards message boards.

They will always have a place in the lives of die hards and the 30+ year old crowd who typically uses less social media, but I dont think they will be growing its user count anytime soon.

At this point its a dated form of communication only used by elder Millennials and GenX who grew up with them. You have more tight knit communities of people rather than a bunch of random strangers screaming into the abyss like with social apps.

I have been using message boards since I was a teen and never really adopted social media (mostly because I dont care about what people are doing that I know)--so I at least will be staying here 😎

Next year will make 17 years I've been a member of the forum. I turn 34 next month. I've spent half my life here. Made some great connections and even met one of the guys IRL though he no longer posts here. Crazy.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

To me this is a good thing. If I wanted to hear a bunch of 25 and under opinions I'd join TikTok.

• Like 3

Anyone with some good ideas for gifts for the wife on the upcoming season?  Been married for 16 years now, there are a bunch of things out there that I do not normally think of, just wondering if you guys know any interesting/niche gift ideas.  

13 hours ago, burlow said:

Anyone with some good ideas for gifts for the wife on the upcoming season?  Been married for 16 years now, there are a bunch of things out there that I do not normally think of, just wondering if you guys know any interesting/niche gift ideas.  

https://www.thenightsky.com/

Got a picture of the stars on the date my wife and I were married.

https://www.noblecollection.com/the-lord-of-the-rings

https://www.budk.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-Swords-2993

We're both huge fans of LOTR so she bought me a letter opener replica of Sting and Anduril. I have bought her Arwen's pendant and earrings.

Just find a movie or series she's really passionate about and you can usually find some replicas. If you're trying g to look more cost friendly you can look at stuff like prints. There are some prints I'd like to get of LOTR.

14 hours ago, burlow said:

Do you guys have kids?  is she active?  What are her interests?  What have you gotten her in the past?  Rough budget?  Does she prefer material gifts or more of the experience type?

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

https://www.thenightsky.com/

Got a picture of the stars on the date my wife and I were married.

I like this, probably not something I would pursue but good and creative.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Do you guys have kids?  is she active?  What are her interests?  What have you gotten her in the past?  Rough budget?  Does she prefer material gifts or more of the experience type?

Been married 16 years now with 4 kids and one more on the way, she does enjoy biking have gone with accessories that way before.  Not to worried about budget, probably wouldnt exceed 500.  More just wanted to see if you guys had things I wouldnt think of.

For mothers day I learned of the box of butterflies, had fun with that and the kids making this happen and it was not something that I would have thought on my own.  

She can be difficult to shop for, I am sure all girls are.  I try to avoid ultility gifts even if they are things that she has hinted at.

22 minutes ago, burlow said:

I like this, probably not something I would pursue but good and creative.

Been married 16 years now with 4 kids and one more on the way, she does enjoy biking have gone with accessories that way before.  Not to worried about budget, probably wouldnt exceed 500.  More just wanted to see if you guys had things I wouldnt think of.

For mothers day I learned of the box of butterflies, had fun with that and the kids making this happen and it was not something that I would have thought on my own.  

She can be difficult to shop for, I am sure all girls are.  I try to avoid ultility gifts even if they are things that she has hinted at.

My brothers and i are getting our mom a necklace with the birthstone of each of  parents grandkids on it.  You can do something similar for your wife with your kids birthstones.

been rehabbing from breaking my spine in october, so i go on like 2 - 2 1/2 hour walks every night. like once a week i get stuck in a level ten thunder/lightning storm. usually when i'm like three miles away from my house. there's a lotta obvious solutions, but i always forget until it happens again. it just happened again. 

• Like 4

On 12/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, burlow said:

Utility gifts are the best.

My best friend is due to have his first kid soon, and they don't live near family. I'm only writing him a check this year, but it's so they can hire a housekeeper to clean their place top to bottom once the kid is here, since it would be weird to hire someone they don't know who would go in their house and through their stuff. I've got a coupon for it all printed out and a note about how I hope they enjoy the time as a family.

My take is listen to your wife and get the stuff she wants. If you want to get her something else that feels more 'gifty' to you, make that an extra surprise, not the main thing.

• Like 1