What are you thinking about?

pwny

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Really? Let’s not be that guy. Seriously. Make every subject about race, literally every subject. Are you that person? 

A girl is dead here. Show some respect. 

When you look at the demographics of other missing people, then see the lack of coverage they receive…🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I just had the most strange interaction with a banker. They explained to me that I was not going to get the loan terms I wanted for a boat because I closed all my credit cards this summer (avoiding annual fees). 

I am in finance, so I understand that open credit and usage ratios can greatly affect your credit score. Thats not the issue. My credit score is almost 200 points above what they need. Its not credit history, I have 20 years of loans/credit. It was simply the fact that at this moment in time, I dont have a single outstanding credit card in my name. Apparently that is some weird trigger for this bank.

Their suggestion was to open a CC and then come back after a bill cycle. My response was "You understand how stupid that sounds? You would rather give me money when I owe to other people instead of when I owe nobody. What the hell kinds of risk management is that?"

When I was in my mid 20’s I wanted to start looking to buy my first home.  I unfortunately didn’t know much about finance/credit at the time and had a similarly absurd issue.

For background, when I was 18-19 I was a moron with money, run up a couple grand on a credit card, etc. (that’s a lot when I was making $8-10 an hour)  Anyway, finally got my ish together, paid it off and canceled my card.  Never missed a payment or anything though, just paid the minimum.  From then on I went exclusively cash/debit.

I wanted to get a loan and a guy I worked with at the hospital was a mortgage lender by day and worked part time at the hospital at night. He got my info and was like “you have no credit”.  I had a car loan that was paid off a couple years before that, never missed or was late on a payment etc. There was the credit card from years before.  I was confused.

He told me they needed to see at least 2-3 active lines of credit.  Told me to open some credit cards, buy a new car, etc.  I was absolutely stunned.  “You mean to tell me, the fact that I’ve lived without credit cards, below my means, have a decent job and cash savings isn’t enough for me to get a loan!?!??”  Nope.  Sure wasn’t.  I needed to open credit cards and pay off my Netflix balance monthly for 2 years to build credit.  THEN I was someone who they could feel comfortable loaning money to…

You live and you learn I guess, but they definitely aren’t going to look at your situation and apply common sense.  It’s just checking boxes and FICO scores it seems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He told me they needed to see at least 2-3 active lines of credit.  Told me to open some credit cards, buy a new car, etc.  I was absolutely stunned.  “You mean to tell me, the fact that I’ve lived without credit cards, below my means, have a decent job and cash savings isn’t enough for me to get a loan!?!??”  Nope.  Sure wasn’t.  I needed to open credit cards and pay off my Netflix balance monthly for 2 years to build credit.  THEN I was someone who they could feel comfortable loaning money to…

Everything is an algorithm now. 

Simulation-01.png

• Like 2

The FBI went to BL's parents home today, and they are now bringing in a diving team to the area they suspect him to be. Seems we have reached the conclusion to this.

EDIT: A body not related to the case has been found.

Edited by Bullet Club

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I mean .01% of missing people get this coverage. This isn't normal.

True. And yet all the cases that do get this kind of coverage tend to have some very similar factors, generally one.

It’s not a new phenomenon. It’s pretty well documented. Noticing it does not have an impact whatsoever on the underlying tragedy. Nor is it playing some kind of mythical “card”. Nor is it “making” something about race. It’s simply acknowledging a trend.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

True. And yet all the cases that do get this kind of coverage tend to have some very similar factors, generally one.

It’s not a new phenomenon. It’s pretty well documented. Noticing it does not have an impact whatsoever on the underlying tragedy. Nor is it playing some kind of mythical “card”. Nor is it “making” something about race. It’s simply acknowledging a trend.

It seems pretty pointless to point it out. Like what do you expect someone to do with that information? Seems like a "but All Lives Matter" type of comment tbh (in terms of distracting from the point). On top of that, would this case have blown up if Gabby was fat and/or ugly? I seriously doubt it. It's an overly simplistic take that at it's best doesn't add anything to the conversation and at its worst distracts from it. In this case it has clearly been the latter.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

It seems pretty pointless to point it out. Like what do you expect someone to do with that information? Seems like a "but All Lives Matter" type of comment tbh. On top of that, would this case have blown up if Gabby was fat and/or ugly? I seriously doubt it. It's an overly simplistic take that at it's best doesn't add anything to the conversation and at its worst distracts from it and in this case it has clearly been the latter.

it is quite literally the opposite of that

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

What was the point?

I’m truly at a loss for what you could have meant.

The point is it's useless information to point out in response to the conversation of Gabby Petito. It adds nothing. Imagine someone saying "Why did this George Floyd case get so big?" in response to his tragic situation, and then cite statistics about how white on black crime gets more publicity than white on white, black on black, or black on white crime. Pretty useless and distracting information, right?

Edited by Bullet Club

34 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

The point is it's useless information to point out in response to the conversation of Gabby Petito. It adds nothing. Imagine someone saying "Why did this George Floyd case get so big?" in response to his tragic situation, and then cite statistics about how white on black crime gets more publicity than white on white, black on black, or black on white crime. Pretty useless and distracting information, right?

You do realize it’s perfectly acceptable and possible to both want justice for her/her family while also admitting there are other social factors at play, right?

“Why is this getting so much attention?” Isn’t a tough question to answer.  It’s because she’s pretty and white. Name the other big missing person cases you can remember.  Top of my head…

-JonBenet Ramsey

- Elizabeth Smart

- Lacy Peterson

- Natalee Holloway 

- Chandra Levy

Noticing a trend yet?   

Burying your head in the sand and pretending it’s irrelevant when it comes to media exposure and clicks helps nothing and is factually incorrect. But I suppose for some it’s easier to shrug off facts as “wokies always seeing race” than to admit some uncomfortable realities.

The point of all of this is NOT to say she deserves LESS attention, but that other people deserve EQUAL attention.

• Like 2