What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 9/21/2021 at 3:38 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No response to the link I posted?  

Some people refuse to acknowledge things like race actually do play a role in things like media coverage.

Pointing it out doesn’t make you anything other than observant. Not sure why this is hard to acknowledge? Especially when factual data supports it.

The article’s statistics are from all homicides, not missing people/homicide combination if you read carefully. The fact you can’t see through an extremely misleading article is all I need to know and not participate further in the discussion. Of course not all homicides will get equal coverage. A lot of homicides are gang-related which no one cares about, the news would go out of business if they reported every gang murder/similar gang murder. 

Also, the general public cares about unique missing person/homicide cases. This case is just that, and extremely unique. What really blew up the story was the police video which made the whole case go super over the top viral. Not to mention, it’s not very often a social media influencer goes missing and is murdered by her social media influencer boyfriend in the middle of no where while hiking. 

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The article’s statistics are from all homicides, not missing people/homicide combination if you read carefully. The fact you can’t see through an extremely misleading article is all I need to know and not participate further in the discussion. Of course not all homicides will get equal coverage. A lot of homicides are gang-related which no one cares about, the news would go out of business if they reported every gang murder/similar gang murder. 

Also, the general public cares about unique missing person/homicide cases. This case is just that, and extremely unique. What really blew up the story was the police video which made the whole case go super over the top viral. Not to mention, it’s not very often a social media influencer goes missing and is murdered by her social media influencer boyfriend in the middle of no where while hiking. 

Again, this isn’t an isolated case.  I provided 5 or so other examples in my last post.

@fretgod99 said it already.  This is absolutely a rare, rare case, absolutely, but when they do happen, they almost universally have the same description.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

I’ve never seen Rick or Morty.

Everyone has a different sense of humor but it’s one of the most funny and intelligent shows (or witty may be a better word) I have watched. However, I’m definitely in the minority that thinks S4 was kinda bad. S1-S3 are classics though. 

I have yet to watch Season 5. I didn’t even know it was out. 

Edited by BayRaider

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Media doesn’t pick which cases get popular. The people do. Whatever gets the most clicks will become a hot story and get more and more and more coverage.

Absolutely.  And why is that?  Some would argue it’s because when this happens to someone like her it’s an incredible tragedy, “that could be my daughter”, etc.. When the victim looks different, it doesn’t register the same way.

With Gabby, it’s easy to see why she got a lot of clicks, she’s a social media influencer, ridiculously photogenic, far from the ugly spectrum, and the overall extremely unique circumstances surrounding the case. 

Sure, but it’s not like she was a celebrity.  She was an Instagram chick who was going to national parks.  Not an uncommon thing.  I’m sure most people had never heard of her before this.

When the media sees what gets clicks, all the channels start spamming that story as much as they can. 

Similar phenomenon to Donald Trump. He made the media companies more money in 4 years than they have probably made in the past 20 combined before that. 

For sure, and I’m not blaming the media per se.. They follow the clicks.  But why do some stories garner clicks and others don’t? @ramssuperbowl99 touched on it already, these stories resonate with other white, suburban moms, dads, people in general who view this differently than other situations.

No one is saying it’s a media creation exclusively, but a societal one for certain.

@MWil23 Quoted you by total accident. Must be a “quote all browns fans” button somewhere…

Oof, don’t do that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Who said otherwise? Why are you making things up?

Is that not what you were implying with the “a girl is dead, show some respect” instructions?

There are literally three factors in your statement. Race, gender, and attractiveness. Only one is getting talked about. On top of that, at no point have I denied that when you put those three together you are going to see more attention.

Humor me.  Rank those 3 factors in order of importance for media coverage and national interest.  Just curious…

This, quite frankly, is nonsense. No one is doing that. The conversation went from Gabby Petito to a conversation about race.

Can’t it be both?

There was no post, including your own, that brought up anyone deserving equal attention.

I thought it was understood?  I can spell things out more if necessary, but did you think my point was that no one should care about her for one reason or another?

It became "Yes, race is a factor, and if you can't admit that get your head out of the sand". That's not raising awareness. It's complaining.

It’s complaining about the fact that this needs to be explained perhaps. The fact that some people don’t even think it’s relevant speaks to the fact that maybe more awareness needs to be raised. Think I’m wrong?  Show some examples of it.  Household names of course.

After the question was asked the next nine posts were: An update on Gabby by me, and 8 posts debating race.

This is a discussion board.  We’re all here to discuss things as I understand it.  We all have Twitter/news feeds too, that’s not why I’m here.

I made another post distancing from it, and it was immediately dragged back in.

You don’t have to be.

If what you claimed to be doing was happening, we'd probably agree. Fact is, that's not the case, and ironically enough it was exactly what you're arguing it wasn't. I'm not going to be dragged into it any further. 

Ok.

2 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

I’ve never seen Rick or Morty.

It's good - people swear by it, but the showrunners are trying too hard to be edgy and smart with the writing. More often than not, they nail it - but there are times they get meta for the sake of getting meta, then they pat themselves on the back for such a meta effort.

There are some great moments and it's a strong example of how animated dark comedies are incredible storytelling vehicles (Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, F is for Family among others) but people swear that it created the trend... but Archer is still the gold standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's good - people swear by it, but the showrunners are trying too hard to be edgy and smart with the writing. More often than not, they nail it - but there are times they get meta for the sake of getting meta, then they pat themselves on the back for such a meta effort.

There are some great moments and it's a strong example of how animated dark comedies are incredible storytelling vehicles (Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, F is for Family among others) but people swear that it created the trend... but Archer is still the gold standard.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Again, this isn’t an isolated case.  I provided 5 or so other examples in my last post.

@fretgod99 said it already.  This is absolutely a rare, rare case, absolutely, but when they do happen, they almost universally have the same description.

When Nancy Grace spent virtually all of her air time constantly ginning up a fervor over Natalee Holloway, there were families of missing black children who were literally begging for any kind of media coverage to help. But, their cases aren’t sensational.

And if we’re being frank here, the underlying circumstances of this case actually aren’t particularly rare. I don’t prosecute many murders, but I do prosecute a ton of domestic violence. Aside from her having a somewhat notable social media presence, there isn’t a lot here that is drastically abnormal. That in no way diminishes the tragedy of this specific case. Rather, it highlights the incredibly terrible commonality of domestic violence in our society. That is multifactorial. But, I’d be willing to bet if we actually attempted to have a productive discussion addressing many of those factors, we’d just be shouted down for being “warriors” for “social justice”, as if that’s a bad thing.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

But, I’d be willing to bet if we actually attempted to have a productive discussion addressing many of those factors, we’d just be shouted down for being “warriors” for “social justice”, as if that’s a bad thing.

This timeline is the worst timeline.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m so behind the times I had to look up what you meant by “meta.” I remember watching Archer when it was new. Pretty good.

• Like 1

I’m on vacation in the Olympic peninsula and the morning news just aired a ~20 second story about a “missing indigenous woman”

no name listed for the missing woman, no details about how she went missing or where she went missing or places shes familiar with, no suspects or really info about anything. Just “indigenous woman missing” with pictures (her hair was dyed blonde btw) for about half a minute. 

interesting timing given the discussions here 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 4