Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

He did not have any specific times, but Trey Lance looked freaking jacked in that Pro day.   Thick strong thighs, strong core and arms, looked a lot more ripped that I thought he would.  Freaking tank out there and showed off a rocket arm.  He could rise above Justin Fields I think with a workout like that, he really flashed some big time arm talent there.  

No way Zach Wilson looks like that physically elite at his pro day, again Lance is freaking ripped and is just gushing with talent.  Wilson might have some competition for that #2 QB pick.  Maybe the Jets take Lance instead and sit and develop him this year until Darnold's contract is up.  His upside is just massive with that type of arm talent and athletic ability.  The Josh Allen comps at first I did not buy because no way he has that type of arm talent, still is not quite Josh Allen level but is pretty damn close.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He did not have any specific times, but Trey Lance looked freaking jacked in that Pro day.   Thick strong thighs, strong core and arms, looked a lot more ripped that I thought he would.  Freaking tank out there and showed off a rocket arm.  He could rise above Justin Fields I think with a workout like that, he really flashed some big time arm talent there.  

No way Zach Wilson looks like that physically elite at his pro day, again Lance is freaking ripped and is just gushing with talent.  Wilson might have some competition for that #2 QB pick.  Maybe the Jets take Lance instead and sit and develop him this year until Darnold's contract is up.  His upside is just massive with that type of arm talent and athletic ability.  The Josh Allen comps at first I did not buy because no way he has that type of arm talent, still is not quite Josh Allen level but is pretty damn close.

One thing I really liked today was his footwork.  Much cleaner than I thought it would be.

This may be posted elsewhere since this is from March 8th (I hadn’t read it until now) and while it’s not at the Pro Day yet this was in prep for their pro days so I’ll post it here. From Matt Miller

Got the following #’s from well regarded speed coach Ryan Capretta of @proactivesp. Jayson Oweh: 4.34 hand/ 4.38 laser —> Jaycee Horn: 4.39 hand/ 4.42 laser. —> Micah Parsons: 4.41 hand/ 4.44 laser. Capretta correctly timed Isaiah Simmons last year at 4.38 laser b4 the combine.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

LOL. C'mon.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Man I hope you had some air con flowing when you were typing that out

10 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

One thing I really liked today was his footwork.  Much cleaner than I thought it would be.

Yeah he really stood in the pocket well and fired that football with great technique using his legs and had an awesome base.  For him to go from this guy to this guy in a little over a year is very impressive.

1692001111795-jmd-vs-nds.jpg?fit=1000,66

031221.S.FF.PRODAY.jpg

One could not name 5 QBs in the NFL right now who are physically in better shape than he is.  Sure there are QBs who are faster than him but in terms of the complete package of athletic ability and strength Trey Lance is right up there especially if he continues to progress as much as he has already in the past year.  Only thing he does not have is that 6-5 or 6-6 height but not like he is short either.  No way Zach Wilson impresses that much physically as Lance did, and doubt he shows of that type of arm power.  Will see though, still hard to not be wowed by that workout athletically.  To those who say oh he cannot throw, well yeah he can.  Is not a finished product but few are.  But maybe I am the only one that was impressed by the physical mass he had now compared to last time he played a complete season. 

And in terms of the interview, he will blow that out of the water, not to mention character which is right up there as well along with general temperament.  To say a team might not fall for him and draft him higher than expected, that is absolutely not out of the question.  He is probably long gone in the first 4 picks.

Still time to see Zach Wilson and Justin Fields with how their Pro day is, but seriously doubt it would be as impressive especially from a physical size and improved mass standpoint.  

Pretty damn impressive for Josh Ball, former FSU transfer, played at Marshall this year and was impressive the times I saw him, big man who can move, could be climbing up draft boards with these times.  Solid bench for such a tall dude and decent enough 40 time.

Josh Ball Marshall OT/OG measured

6′ 7 3/8″ and 308 pounds
35-inch arms.
28 reps at 225 
27.5  inches vertical jump
8’10” in the broad jump
5.19  40
4.67 seconds short shuttle

Was surprised by these numbers for Funk, still long shot to be drafted but could sneak on as a UDFA.  

Jake Funk Maryland RB

5′ 10 1/4″ and 205 pounds
4.43 to 4.47  40
38 vertical broad 
10’2″ broad jump
 22 reps at 225

• Like 1

Lance showed the traits that made him intriguing.   The helium though is going to be as much about how maxing out high ceiling guys with mobility as part of their toolset pays off so handsomely nowadays - and how we are seeing it happen more & more.   

It can be argued that Kyler Murray was pretty refined - it was more about his size / experience.     But I think most would agree Mahomes, Allen & Lamar had a lot of work to do (and Lamar still does).   And that Herbert’s college game tape was unimpressive in his L’s vs.  inferior to similar PAC-12 competition.    But their hit rate and the effect on teams has ppl viewing the risk / reward rate very different than before 2017.  

Yesterday showed that Lance’s tools give a really high ceiling.   But I’d submit this was already known.   It’s why the workout was so heavily attended.  Yesterday simply confirmed it.   The risk is the same given one workout isn’t going to address those areas.   But the recent experience with huge-ceiling guys is certainly going to inflate Lance’s draft stock alone.    

If Lance was a project and tools guy with 1 year FCS experience going into 2017’s draft, I suspect he would get the mid-late first round talk.  But now I’m guessing he won’t last past 1.6 - 1.7.   And going top 4 isn’t out of the question.   The last 4 draft results have changed the calculus. 

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lance showed the traits that made him intriguing.   The helium though is going to be as much about how maxing out high ceiling guys with mobility as part of their toolset pays off do handsomely nowadays - and how we are seeing it happen more & more.   

It can be argued that Kyler Murray was pretty refined - it was more about his size / experience.     But I think most would agree Mahomes, Allen & Lamar had a lot of work to do (and Lamar still does).   And that Herbert’s college game tape was unimpressive in his L’s vs.  inferior to similar PAC-12 competition.    But their hit rate and the effect on teams has ppl viewing the risk / reward rate very different than before 2017.  

Yesterday showed that Lance’s tools give a really high ceiling.   But I’d submit this was already known.   It’s why the workout was so heavily attended.  Yesterday simply confirmed it.   The risk is the same given one workout isn’t going to address those areas.   But the recent experience with huge-ceiling guys is certainly going to inflate Lance’s draft stock alone.    

If Lance was a project and tools guy with 1 year FCS experience going into 2017’s draft, I suspect he would get the mid-late first round talk.  But now I’m guessing he won’t last past 1.6 - 1.7.   And going top 4 isn’t out of the question.   The last 4 draft results have changed the calculus. 

Agreed, mobility is huge.  Then you combine mobility with a cannon for an arm and people pay attention.  Who would have though Herbert would be as good as he was last year?  I liked him a lot coming out but never though he would be that good this year, but is a big athletic dude with a live arm and clearly NFL defenses are going to have to catch up and figure out how to stop these type of dudes.  Murray has limitations big time because of his height, and Lamar is limited in terms of throws he can make but guys like Mahomes and Allen they have no real limitations, huge arm talents who are athletic enough to scramble create time and make plays downfield with their arms or legs.

Still few if any QBs in the NFL are rock solid physically like Lance is now which is impressive.  But yeah NFL defenses are going to have to really catchup and figure out how to stop these mobile QBs.  Before with RGIII he was ripping it up but physically he could not take the hits and back then you could still hit with the crown of the helmet and tackle low and just simply impact force on a QB that made it stupid to run because you would physically be hurt and possibly have your career ended. 

Now you cannot do that so QBs are just running all over not really in fear of getting hit at all.  That is a good thing for their long term health, but fact is if these rules were in place a few years back Vick would have been a way better pro overall, same with the likes of Kordell Stewart or McNabb, even Tarkenton and Elway who are Hall of Fame players both would have been way better if they played with the rules of today.  Bet older QBs are jealous of how little the QBs of today get actually hit in a forceful way, same with receivers who would never dream of going over the middle, now guys do it constantly.

NFL will have to find some defensive masterminds, seems like all the creative play calling types are all on the offensive side of the ball.  Some defensive guys are going to have to think up something new to stop some of these QBs.  But like usual sure someone will take something a dude did in college and play off that similar to what NFL teams did offensively making it more like the college game.  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No way Zach Wilson impresses that much physically as Lance did, and doubt he shows of that type of arm power. 

Zach Wilson is undoubtedly a much smaller guy, but he has a rifle for an arm. And he's lightyears ahead of Lance on the field.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Zach Wilson is undoubtedly a much smaller guy, but he has a rifle for an arm. And he's lightyears ahead of Lance on the field.

Will see how Wilson looks in his pro day, Trey Lance did not throw the ball like that at NDSU.  In terms of wow factor of improvement in footwork, physique and general arm talent no way Zach Wilson wows at his pro day like Lance did.  Sure Wilson made some great throws this season for BYU because they asked him to do it and the level of competition allowed it.  Trey Lance was rarely if ever asked to make some of the throws he made in that pro day, so it was a far more impactful and impressive pro day.  Will be hard for Wilson to match it in terms of wow factor, he will not be able to most likely.

Trey looked like a freaking Olympian out there and threw the ball with crazy high level power and velocity.   Zach Wilson has a nice quick release and throws a tight ball but is no match for the tree trunk that was Trey Lance out there throwing the ball around.  Will be curious what Justin Fields looks like, who is more physically talented and built than Wilson but even he I doubt looks in as great of shape as Lance did, will see.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Will see how Wilson looks in his pro day, Trey Lance did not throw the ball like that at NDSU.  In terms of wow factor of improvement in footwork, physique and general arm talent no way Zach Wilson wows at his pro day like Lance did.  Trey Lance was rarely if ever asked to make some of the throws he made in that pro day, so it was a far more impactful and impressive pro day.  Will be hard for Wilson to match it in terms of wow factor, he will not be able to most likely.

Trey looked like a freaking Olympian out there and threw the ball with crazy high level power and velocity.   Zach Wilson has a nice quick release and throws a tight ball but is no match for the tree trunk that was Trey Lance out there throwing the ball around.  Will be curious what Justin Fields looks like, who is more physically talented and built than Wilson but even he I doubt looks in as great of shape as Lance did, will see.  

Of course Lance didn't throw the ball like that at NDSU. He was throwing against air. LOL. I'm in disbelief at how much stock you're putting into a Pro Day.

Sure Wilson made some great throws this season for BYU because they asked him to do it and the level of competition allowed it.

Wilson made some "great throws" because he's a unique and extraordinarily gifted thrower. Had nothing to do with the level of competition "allow[ing] it." Lance played a lower level of competition and certainly didn't make jaw-dropping throws this year in his only game.

• Like 1